Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Fast twist 22-250 Load advice

rash generalisation here.......I BELIEVE most 55grn projectiles have traditionally been stouter/harder than 50 grn projectiles of same type
    I BELIEVE historically this was due to the 50grn being a 222 projectile and 55 used in .223 and faster......its the reason Ive always leant towards 50 grn projectiles in my 223 for wallabies .I can push them along with a not so hot load and they still do the expandy/killem quickly thing.
    of course when talking a varmint/varmit dedicated projectile all bets are off,they are designed with thin jacket to blow up on impact with little encouragement.
    caberslash likes this.

Banned
    I know that the cullers in the 1960's found Norma ammo was the best in their 222's. With all the other brands the bullets were too soft and blew to bits. The Norma would fully penetrate a Bull Tahrs chest. So use a harder bullet. Like MD suggests the 55 Barnes could be the go to 300
    csmiffy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I know that the cullers in the 1960's found Norma ammo was the best in their 222's. With all the other brands the bullets were too soft and blew to bits. The Norma would fully penetrate a Bull Tahrs chest. So use a harder bullet. Like MD suggests the 55 Barnes could be the go to 300
    I used Hirtenberger 50 grn. It was cheaper than Norma and just as good. I was paying for mine meat hunting so liked the saving. Not sure if they make ammo any more but it was good.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Im dubious of 55grn barnes after watching video of them in use on a billy goat...the 50grn flat base ttsx work great for me in .223
    the 55grn loads I got given ,pattern/group well ,havent tried them out on game yet.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

It may be out of flavour these days but I still use h380 and get really good results, I’ve used this powder with 50gr zmaxs in 5 different 22-250s and all shot really good. None are fast twist but that combination of ammo is cheap and readily available to me at present

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Im pleased to read that....might just have to go down that rabbit hole one day myself.
    Gusto likes this.

I also had my eyes on that 22-250 but still waiting for my FAL. Use to shoot a 1:8 twist 22-250 AI. The lightest bullets I tried was 75gr range. I would recommend looking at 75gr bullets plus given the challenges with lighter bullets potentially failing as a result of the tight twist. There are some US forum with some data on what lighter bullets normally withstand tight twist better, but some suggest the rifling has a lot to do with it. If you are looking for a flat shooter I would start with the 75gr EldM. I’m sure you will be able to reach 3350fps+ but my experience with my previous rifle was that a I got better consistency at 3200fps. The first bullet I had in mind for the rifle was the 88gr EldM and if that didn’t work the 80gr EldM at 3200 fps and N160.
    Moa Hunter likes this.