Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: First attempt at reloading. Thoughts please.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfern View Post
    Lol�� thanks for your thoughts and good humour. I realise I'm overcomplicating things to a degree but I'm happy to tinker now that I have got a hunting load. It's all part of the fun as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure that I will get over it at some point and focus on efficiency once I get past the enthusiastic amateur stage.
    That...and my wife is starting to notice all the parcels of bits and bobs turning up on the door step. She is getting increasingly dubious of my protestations that reloading is going to save money....in fact the cost has doubled as she has just shouted her self a smart watch since I'm buying myself a never ending pile of kit. (And a new truck)

If it makes the Finnish barrel maker any better I'm keeping all of the kimber barrel...
    Greetings @Blackfern,
    I seated my first primer around 1970 am still waiting for handloading to save me money. It has, however, kept me mentally active even 8 years into retirement and may help stave of dementia for a bit longer. Last year, then aged 73, I shot my first F Class shoot. This has filled a gap in my need for handloading and opened up a whole new vista. I like to say that handloading keeps me out of the saloons but I stopped drinking in the mid 1980's when I was quite ill with arthritis and could never be bothered starting again. Perhaps handloading can take the credit for that. Keep your eyes peeled when you are on the Jack Dillon Range. If you see an old chap there from HB it will likely be me.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck, rewa, dannyb and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    and here is another free observation for you... @RUMPY may like to confirm this as seeing his targets with multiple loads made it plurry obvious to me. this is really easy to see for yourself as you look to have used a sticker for aiming point.
    wait for it
    wait
    wait
    wait
    ok here it is
    ALL of your groups are same size or smaller than your aiming mark!!!!!!!!!
    nah stop,look again..let it sink in,look again....
    unless you have huge magnification and can cut that orange dot neatly into 4 bits like a pizza there is simple NO WAY IN HELL you POSSIBLY CAN shoot a smaller group...you cant as you arent asking rifle to do so,youve asked it to shoot into the dot,and it has.

dont wash the target out with the centre cross -put target dot it in one of the quadrants touching the centre cross , this way u can see it - trick some of the benchresters use with massive magnification shooting small dots