Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: First reloads

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    Many of the most accurate shooters will full-length size with a shoulder bump of only about 2thou.

This achieves the benefits of neck sizing only, in that the brass fits the chamber pretty much perfectly, with the added reliability of a tiny bump in headspace to ensure it always chambers properly.
    The only way that im aware of to set this up really accurately is with headspace comparitors. 1/24 of a turn on the die is enough to put you in and out of "the zone" if you are going for only a 2thou bump in headspace.

How I set up the full-length die is by.

1. Measure the headspace of a fired case.
    2. Full length size the fired case and then measure its headspace again.
    3. Adjust the Die to be closer to the 2thou only bump we are aiming for.
    4. Full length size another fired case, and measure again.
    5. Repeat till its only bumping headspace by 2thou.
    I'll give that a go some time.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

First reloads

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    I'll give that a go some time.
    What you will not be able to do will be too actually measure your head space unless you have a gauge to measure it with. I have a Hornady comparator for this. There is a possibility you can over work your brass but I have found typically that just touching the shell holder firmly is about right.
    Last edited by kiwijames; 14-10-2019 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Sorry missed @ChrisW has already mentioned this in the above
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    That's how I've always done it... you can wind your neck sizing die in another 1/4 turn and see if that makes an appreciable differnce, I always bump as little as I can get away with. Check/trim your cases to length, too.
    He has a collet die, plus any neck die will never FL size so another 1/4 turn (about 0.009") is just going to break or jam something.
    Brass will flow forward every time it is fired. No case will survive repeat firings without needing a shoulder bump eventually.
    Russian 22. likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

I have a full length die. Just always read that once it's been fire formed to the chamber then neck sizing is the best thing to do.
    No. All brass will eventually need a full size as the brass gets worked. Neck sizing is good for most cycles but it's important to have brass that fits your rifle. Nothing worse than finding your rounds won't chamber one day one of a multi-day fly in trip.

Yes. I have some that will let a projectile go through the neck.
    They all need to pass through, but this may just be a red herring for now. Focus on the basics

How do you fix the neck donuts?
    You don't in my experience. Just throw it away and start again.

Mmm throw them away?

Need to understand how in the OP's case the donuts were formed although I couldn’t actually see where he had a problem with donuts? Yet.

With my 284 mine formed in part from neck turning and in part from brass flow over several firings. Some cartridges are more prone to brass flow.

If for example, shooting boatail projectiles and the projectile boatail to bearing surface junction doesn't seat into the donut there isn't a problem. Or for that matter flat base projectiles that don't seat down far enough down the neck to contact the donut.

Otherwise I cut the donut out using a K&M carbide mandrel with the cutter on its tip.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Mmm throw them away?

Need to understand how in the OP's case the donuts were formed although I couldn’t actually see where he had a problem with donuts? Yet.

With my 284 mine formed in part from neck turning and in part from brass flow over several firings. Some cartridges are more prone to brass flow.

If for example, shooting boatail projectiles and the projectile boatail to bearing surface junction doesn't seat into the donut there isn't a problem. Or for that matter flat base projectiles that don't seat down far enough down the neck to contact the donut.

Otherwise I cut the donut out using a K&M carbide mandrel with the cutter on its tip.
    It's 243 brass and in S&B so it's hardly tough to buy new. Heck you could buy bags of brass for the price of a K&M tool. I've got 243Win brass I can't even give away so I think it's all relevant. Also, I think I bought up donuts not the OP so it is probably a tangent a new reloader maybe doesn't need to consider until he has got the basics right (like priming every case )
    zimmer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    What you will not be able to do will be too actually measure your head space unless you have a gauge to measure it with. I have a Hornady comparator for this. There is a possibility you can over work your brass but I have found typically that just touching the shell holder firmly is about right.
    I will have a look into the comparator.

No. All brass will eventually need a full size as the brass gets worked. Neck sizing is good for most cycles but it's important to have brass that fits your rifle. Nothing worse than finding your rounds won't chamber one day one of a multi-day fly in trip.

They all need to pass through, but this may just be a red herring for now. Focus on the basics

You don't in my experience. Just throw it away and start again.
    Do you have a number of firings before you full length size and trim it? I was going to full length size it after 4 firings and trim to case max length.

It's 243 brass and in S&B so it's hardly tough to buy new. Heck you could buy bags of brass for the price of a K&M tool. I've got 243Win brass I can't even give away so I think it's all relevant. Also, I think I bought up donuts not the OP so it is probably a tangent a new reloader maybe doesn't need to consider until he has got the basics right (like priming every case )
    Savage. Killing me. Hahahahhahahaha.

Gone but not forgotten
    You need to trim as soon as a case goes overlength, which means you need to check every case after every firing. I use the Lyman Ee-zee (or something like that), very quick and easy.
    I had one batch of brass where more than half needed trimming after two firings.

I will have a look into the comparator.

Do you have a number of firings before you full length size and trim it? I was going to full length size it after 4 firings and trim to case max length.

Savage. Killing me. Hahahahhahahaha.
    Do the FL thing and see how that works. I'm picking if it's tight to chamber this will be your problem.
    It's not a F Class rifle so to FL size regularly won't hurt. I like to know my neck tension is as consistent as I can get it without getting too wound up about it so I have a preference for Redding Type S dies. My last 243Win I only had a Type S FL die and it was just as accurate as any rifle I have owned. FL sizing every 4th time should be a good start I'd guess but there are plenty of more experienced reloaders on here who may have better advice.

We all make mistakes my mate who is very new to reloading done this the other day
    Name:  0EEF6950-90EA-4EAC-83C5-3CA9A9A7F72A.jpeg
Views: 120
Size:  472.8 KB
    That’s a good kind of mistake it will never go in the gun to be fired
    Forgetting a primer not bad
    Undersized brass no problem as it won’t fit in the gun
    A perfect round with the worng powder or double charge those are the mistakes you just can’t afford you could best case distroy you’re rifle
    And at worst Well you know

I tryed neck sizeing and didn’t like it
    I found it to be problematic
    I use fls dies and bump the sholder 1-2 thou depending on the load
    Found this video on YouTube the other day
    Makes perfect sense
    https://youtu.be/lLG2kSrD40g

After a bit of practice you will have your technique and process down and you will be less likely to make mistakes but be aware mistakes to happen to even the most experienced Reloaders make mistakes so you need to double and triple check everything
    kiwijames and Russian 22. like this.

my 1st edition Nosler manual.... has instructions on how to partial length resize,it works for me. gives a neck size and wee bump.....
    Russian 22. and mimms2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    We all make mistakes my mate who is very new to reloading done this the other day
    Attachment 122084
    That’s a good kind of mistake it will never go in the gun to be fired
    Forgetting a primer not bad
    Undersized brass no problem as it won’t fit in the gun
    A perfect round with the worng powder or double charge those are the mistakes you just can’t afford you could best case distroy you’re rifle
    And at worst Well you know

I tryed neck sizeing and didn’t like it
    I found it to be problematic
    I use fls dies and bump the sholder 1-2 thou depending on the load
    Found this video on YouTube the other day
    Makes perfect sense
    https://youtu.be/lLG2kSrD40g

After a bit of practice you will have your technique and process down and you will be less likely to make mistakes but be aware mistakes to happen to even the most experienced Reloaders make mistakes so you need to double and triple check everything
    That's some great advice.

I have two bits of paper on wall infront of my reloading bench...my pet loads on one and the set of step by step instructions that come with LEE dies.....
    MrSly and Max Headroom like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    You need to trim as soon as a case goes overlength, which means you need to check every case after every firing. I use the Lyman Ee-zee (or something like that), very quick and easy.
    I had one batch of brass where more than half needed trimming after two firings.
    I have a nice and shiny digital caliper so I'll measure up the cases and projectiles and see how much the cases need to be trimmed.

Do the FL thing and see how that works. I'm picking if it's tight to chamber this will be your problem.
    It's not a F Class rifle so to FL size regularly won't hurt. I like to know my neck tension is as consistent as I can get it without getting too wound up about it so I have a preference for Redding Type S dies. My last 243Win I only had a Type S FL die and it was just as accurate as any rifle I have owned. FL sizing every 4th time should be a good start I'd guess but there are plenty of more experienced reloaders on here who may have better advice.
    I had a mark all around the projectile from chambering. Like it was hitting the lands. Was still an accurate load.

I have a nice and shiny digital caliper so I'll measure up the cases and projectiles and see how much the cases need to be trimmed.

I had a mark all around the projectile from chambering. Like it was hitting the lands. Was still an accurate load.

Just watch that should really knock your oal lenth back a bit
    Pressure can do funny things when you’re jammed in the lans
    It can shoot well like that though But need to be extra careful not to over charge on accident

Can also prove to be a bit unreliable for hunting

If you’re unsure on how to find a max oal
    There’s plenty of different methods online
    But till you get it sorted id just stick to sammi oal
    Which should work ok in most factory barrels

Reloading is easy just takes some practice to get everything dialed
    Don’t get discouraged you will get there

Ive been reloading for 14 years (since 15yo) and still make plenty of fuck ups
    The Secret is to have processes in place so you hopefully never let a mistake slip past
    You for example your missing primer you should check each primer to make sure its flush
    You would have noticed the missing primer right away and fixed it
    It’s just process is all and once you have a good process that works for you every one is slightly different
    Then all those simple mistakes should all but vanish but you have your process incase you do make a mistake so you pick it up before it’s an issue
    kiwijames, MrSly and Russian 22. like this.