Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Hammer Hunter Projectiles

So I did shoot a couple...but with the 6.5x55 and Amax so the Hammers' are still un-tested.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Friend in Ashburton has boxes of 6.5 he would probably sell
    @Moa Hunter What sort-shock, hammer etc Grainage?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    @Moa Hunter What sort-shock, hammer etc Grainage?
    Will check with Don

Tried the 117 grn @3450fps out of my 270wsm this evening. Buck at 300yds and 2 others @220 yds. 3 one shot kills. A lot more organ damage than the 130 Barnes and larger in and out out holes.
    Very impressed.

Name:  IMG_2030.jpeg
Views: 480
Size:  4.46 MB

Name:  IMG_3212.jpeg
Views: 431
Size:  6.69 MB

its interesting you were using the 130grn barnes....if you do the maths on them the 110TSX is far and away the better option...by the time the speed goes down enough for the heavier to have any advantage its just about accademic anyway as they both getting too low for ethical use.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    its interesting you were using the 130grn barnes....if you do the maths on them the 110TSX is far and away the better option...by the time the speed goes down enough for the heavier to have any advantage its just about accademic anyway as they both getting too low for ethical use.
    I've been using the Barnes 129 grn LRX at 3250. They seem a bit softer than the TTSX. Have been very happy with them out to 450 yds, but these Hammers are looking better. Im skinning the deer from last night at the moment and the petal damage from them breaking off (they are meant to) is interesting. The exit holes from the shank are still substantial too. Bigger than the Barnes.

Does anyone know how they compare to GS custom projectiles? They appear to be very similar
    takbok likes this.
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

All very interesting, and I’m all for variety and new developments, but I’m not convinced enough to drop my far cheaper and very effective ELD-Ms. Anyway, good luck to those who want to try them out.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    All very interesting, and I’m all for variety and new developments, but I’m not convinced enough to drop my far cheaper and very effective ELD-Ms. Anyway, good luck to those who want to try them out.
    @Spitfire and @dannyb I get that. But its interesting trying these things and a damn site cheaper than changing calibers and rifles every five minutes.
    outdoorlad, mikee and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    @Spitfire and @dannyb I get that. But its interesting trying these things and a damn site cheaper than changing calibers and rifles every five minutes.
    ???? Nothing to do with me pal
    superdiver likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Cripes @Tahr. There's not much difference between 5 minutes and 10 minutes- truly there's not
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Cripes @Tahr. There's not much difference between 5 minutes and 10 minutes- truly there's not
    Except five minutes. And at my age that's important.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich007 View Post
    Does anyone know how they compare to GS custom projectiles? They appear to be very similar
    @Sidney said this on page 1 about the GS custom...

Other than turned copper they are quite different. The GS Custom projectile are fitted to the lands diameter with extended bands to fill out the grooves providing the seal. This reduces friction and pressure allowing increased velocity for the same pressure.

These look more akin to most conventional copper pills with recess grooves to reduce friction on a projection turned to barrel groove diameter. More grooves cut though than say a Barnes/GMX.

And...

The diameter contact land to land is critical with the GS custom. If you don't get that right they are hard to get to shoot well. The barrel specs vary marginally with different manufacturers and GS Custom produce projectiles to suit.

Essentially a custom projectile. They shoot well when all the variations are sorted, if you can be bothered. I played with them and they worked well, but they tend to not like being interchanged with other pills and that didn't suit my budget.

so if you see a deer walking slowly across a field and shoot it with one of these bullets you can actually yell " stop...yeah....hammertime"
    Gibo, csmiffy and Strummer like this.

Gkp
    These sick puppies are ready to hammer something
    7mm Saum 20 inch tube
    143 hammer hunter's
    3231 fps
    66g superformance Name:  IMG_20210520_113633.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  2.24 MB
    wsm junkie, Dreamer, Gibo and 2 others like this.