Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Looking at learning to reload, cost effective or better to keep buying cheap ammo

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackel View Post
    Hey all,

I was looking at grabbing some Hornady Training Brass ammo and got a shock when i was told when it arrives it'll be $989 for 1000!!! thats a huge price increase!!

i've got a fair bit of cheap Federal 223 50g varmint BT tip and 55g FMJ for $799/1000, and i've keeping the brass if i do choose to reload, i don't know if this brass is any good, but its brass.

As it just normal plinking and targets and maybe the odd rabbit for now, is it $$$ worth it, i've got the time to reload.

I did some quick calculations from bulk buying from Reloaders and the components and put it through Reloading Costs Calculator « Ultimate Reloader Reloading Blog

and came up with 70 cents a bullet or $700 for 1000

this was with ADI AR2207, V Max 55g CCI primers and me suppling the brass.

Does this sound right to experienced reloaders.

I like the range of Hornady Lock n Load range of gear and that Stainless steel wet media tumbling looks good and has anyone had experience with this gear.

I don't think i would need a progressive setup as i would only be loading about 100 rounds a month.
    if your in auckland i have all the gear for 223 plus a few others and happy for you to come and have ago before you buy all your gear
    just bring powder bullets and primers

It all starts off innocently enough......nek minit.....you discover you have opened Pandoras box

getting set up is one of the biggest costs, but if you can get second hand, press, scales and dies then the cost isn't as bad, there must be hundreds of this sort of gear out there not being used anymore it's just a matter of finding them, if you are a member of the N.Z.D.A then put an add in their monthly mag, someone might know an old timer who has some of this gear lying around, there are bi-monthly hunting magazines that you can advertise in. also it is a lot cheaper to buy in bulk, find a powder that shoots well in your rifle then buy it by the kilo and there are savings to be had. same with projectiles and primers buy in bulk!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    It all starts off innocently enough......nek minit.....you discover you have opened Pandoras box
    Yup, but it's great fun, and pandora doesn't mind at all.
    That's a whatchamacallit! Isn't it?

Baz
    Buy a Hornady reloading manual (or similar), you will learn A LOT!!

I was paying $65 for 20 7mm Rem Mag by Hornady, $3.25 per round. Couldn't get the same ammo each time I went to buy more so was always resighting etc.

Brought a Hornady LNL classic kit, LEE dies and away I was reloading for $1.30 - $1.50 a round. (brass kept from above). Load tuned in for .25 MOA

As mentioned, the addiction has now spread to .270win, a LNL auto progressive for 223/9mm along with a new bench, large cupboard. RCBS chargemaster, Hornady trimmer, case guages................... I'll stop before scarring the newbies off.

You cant go wrong at Ultimate Reloader Reloading Blog

There are many reasons to reload. 1 would never cover them all in a forum message.
    How every It is not any cheaper than buying the in-expensive bulk factory ammo, Although once you get your load it is a hell of a lot more accurate, and you get to understand the workings and limitations of your rifle and your ammo.
    My reasons for reloading are.
    Fun, Knowledge, Get to shoot more, and there is not a factory load in this world for a 110gr bullet in a 30-06 that can put 5 shots into an old 50c piece at 200m.

I just got into reloading myself, mainly to find a projectile / powder combo that shoots well in my rifle. The other being I also have a military rifle in 7.62x54r but as the bore is fractionally bigger it doesnt shoot factory ammo well. I can now reload with the right projectile, in my case a .312 dia ( .303 ) for my russian built mosin.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    if your in auckland i have all the gear for 223 plus a few others and happy for you to come and have ago before you buy all your gear
    just bring powder bullets and primers
    Thanks for the offer, mighty kind of you. although i don't live close to auckland. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Buy a Hornady reloading manual (or similar), you will learn A LOT!!

I was paying $65 for 20 7mm Rem Mag by Hornady, $3.25 per round. Couldn't get the same ammo each time I went to buy more so was always resighting etc.

Brought a Hornady LNL classic kit, LEE dies and away I was reloading for $1.30 - $1.50 a round. (brass kept from above). Load tuned in for .25 MOA

As mentioned, the addiction has now spread to .270win, a LNL auto progressive for 223/9mm along with a new bench, large cupboard. RCBS chargemaster, Hornady trimmer, case guages................... I'll stop before scarring the newbies off.

You cant go wrong at Ultimate Reloader Reloading Blog
    I was going to get a Hornady reloading manual, i've just be trying to get the latest edition #9 from the states as i can only find 7th & 8th edition over here, and i know the new one has the 300 blackout info its a cal i wouldn't mind paying with for a future purchase.

I've started up a list of what i want and then working from that to give me an overall start up cost, so once i double it, i know what to hide away from the little lady

I can see how its could be addictive as, the more I've reading more about the process, the more interested i'm getting, and different loads i could make.

My initial thinking of that i can save money by making my own ammo has gone out the window. I tend to get a little OCD trying to perfect things, so i am a little scared of starting to learn.

i have read most of the threads on reloading on this forum, some good info in them.
    Last edited by The Jackel; 18-06-2013 at 07:14 PM. Reason: very bad english, should have spent more time at school instead of doing a trade
    puku likes this.

Some times we just have to reload.
    The only gun in the safe that I can buy ammo for is the shoty
    Non factory is WAY more fun
    As others have said get good gear to start with.

Dont reload to save money. Reload to get the best down your barrel and into that animal.When you buy projectiles buy the best in the world....BARNES TSX.

“Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.”
    Name:  yoda.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  4.8 KB
    kiwi39 likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by roig View Post
    Yup, but it's great fun, and pandora doesn't mind at all.
    Tell me more about pandora? is she a forum thing we can all have a burn on? bags first.
    BRADS and kiwi39 like this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    Tell me more about pandora? is she a forum thing we can all have a burn on? bags first.
    Is Pandora a goat?
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Is Pandora a goat?
    You clearly want to fuck a goat!.hope you can watch you tube dave! otherwise your gonna cry.