Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: New 90 gr 243 ELD X

Name:  21D6EE70-F9E4-4969-BA9E-A6FEDB8A3701.jpeg
Views: 1321
Size:  531.8 KB

Here it is at 2.710" in the COAL gauge. Looks like a satisfying amount of case capacity behind the 90gr ELD-X, I'm planning on 3150fps for this one. Maybe 3300fps if I get it Ackleyed.
    Mooseman and dannyb like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Gone but not forgotten
    I got underway today. Still no loaded rounds, but I did measure my max COAL, came out at 2.69 so very similar.
    I will hopefully load some tomorrow afternoon, but it will probably be a while before I get to the range to try them.

@Cigar, is the 2.690" touching the lands, or is that assuming a certain amount of jump? Which rifle?

The 2.710" on mine is assuming 20 thou of jump, the actual max (touching lands) is 2.730".

2.690" touching the lands would be quite a short chamber?
    Just...say...the...word

Gone but not forgotten
    @Flyblown Yes, 2.69 touching the lands. It's a Brno ZKK601. Sounds like its 1mm shorter than your rifle, though i have seen a 0.02 inch difference between different lots of the 308 178gr ELD-X, so could be partly projectile differences too.
    I loaded some rounds today at 2.66 COAL (2.16 to ogive using Hornady comparator).

I got onto Hornady to ask them about the absence of reloading data for this bullet. They told me to use the 87 grain V-Max data.

The only thing I would caution about is the fact that in another calibres the ELD-X has reached pressure quicker than the thinner jacketed bullets of equivalent weight. e.g. ELD-X vs ELD-M. In the same way that I've been reading about blokes reaching pressure signs much earlier with the Sierra GameChanger vs the GameKing, also due to the thicker jacket.

I'm aiming to replicate the Precision Hunter .243 ammo that has 3150fps written on the box (24" barrel). So anywhere around 3050-100fps would be good from a 20" barrel.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    I got onto Hornady to ask them about the absence of reloading data for this bullet. They told me to use the 87 grain V-Max data.

The only thing I would caution about is the fact that in another calibres the ELD-X has reached pressure quicker than the thinner jacketed bullets of equivalent weight. e.g. ELD-X vs ELD-M. In the same way that I've been reading about blokes reaching pressure signs much earlier with the Sierra GameChanger vs the GameKing, also due to the thicker jacket.

I'm aiming to replicate the Precision Hunter .243 ammo that has 3150fps written on the box (24" barrel). So anywhere around 3050-100fps would be good from a 20" barrel.
    Need to get some shots down the barrel to see how they perform. Drilled the pillars out on my 243 the other day so there was no contact when inserting the action screws so I need to be putting some rounds down range too.

I'd have been out already if it weren't for this mad westerly flow Brian, crazy winds at our place and some stellar thunderstorms and downpours. Very frustrating. Desperate for a nice calm, cold, crisp period, looks like we might have a respite Monday / Tuesday, which if it happens means an awful lot of shooting is going to happen in my little quiet valley. Having been away for a while, so I expect someone "new" will call the bloody AOS.
    Just...say...the...word

You are right the wind has been bad with thunder storms about, looks like a bit better lot of weather over the next couple of days , probably set the possum traps tomorrow for a couple of nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    The ProHunter has been my 243 bullet for longer than I can remember. It has accounted for hundreds of animals, roe, fallow, reds, gazzillions of goats, pigs.
    @NewbieZAR is spot on with his range assessment, this one was taken at precisely 350m. It wobbled, took a step, fell down the bank. The ProHunters expand and shed fragments and do a lot of peripheral damage in the engine room.

Attachment 117349

The only thing I would say is that I'm very careful not to use these bullets in difficult wind conditions much past ~200-225m as they can misbehave. A heavier, higher BC bullet is the go on days like that, so I take either the Creedmoor or .308.

Its this reason why I'm so keen on getting the 90gr ELD-X to work. It will deal with wind heaps better than the ProHunter.
    Awesome to hear! My factory Winchester seemed to be ok. Expanded really well but didn't get any bang flops. Seemed to blow up on the front shoulders of the fallow. But full penetration on others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I'm sure I was reading a post with a table on various 6mm chamberings using 2209 and rl26, on the forum today. Fucked if I can find it though, can anyone help me out?
    You getting 6mm creed more or a 243?

Finally got the 243 to shoot a good group. 87 gr Hornady with 43 grs or 2209 went into just over 3/4 inch at 100 yards. T I tried a few 90 gr Game changers but they went into 2 inch as did some 95 SST. Looks like this rifle is fussy to say the least. Now I know it can shoot with a load it likes I will try some 90 gr ELD X bullets to see if it likes them.

Name:  243 with 87 gr Hornady.JPG
Views: 1243
Size:  3.63 MBPreviously the groups were stringing so they have improved since last time I tried it.

Gone but not forgotten
    My 243 needs bedding and the barrel floated, but out of the blue it did this last time at the range with the Hornady 87gr SP varmint
    Name:  20190818_203438.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  54.7 KB
    Frogfeatures and Mooseman like this.

Managed to put a couple of groups on paper this afternoon with the new 6mm Dasher barrel, testing these 90gr ELDX as well as some 95gr Sierra TMKs, some 90gr and 95gr Nosler ballistic tips. The ELDX are showing promise with H4895 @3190fps and I have a few more loaded up with some BM8208 to try as soon as the weather allows.
    No issues with loading them and they have perfect 100% bearing surface to case neck contact with the small boat tail sitting in the shoulder junction when loaded 10 thou off the lands.

Cant say the same for the TMKs...

Name:  20190820_141829.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  1.31 MB

Name:  20190820_100644.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  1.22 MB

Name:  20190820_160828.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  1.83 MB

Name:  Screenshot_20190820-201910_Video Player.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  803.6 KB

targex
    Hi there, hey send me your details & I'll send a few Targex 95gr for you to try. I know a lot of fellas dont believe a bullet made in a shed in little NZ can compete with the big boys but I think you may get a pleasant surprise. If not it will be an interesting experiment for you anyway.
    Cheers, Bryn
    Targex Bullets.
    Dreamer, Bill999, Mathias and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TARGEX View Post
    Hi there, hey send me your details & I'll send a few Targex 95gr for you to try. I know a lot of fellas dont believe a bullet made in a shed in little NZ can compete with the big boys but I think you may get a pleasant surprise. If not it will be an interesting experiment for you anyway.
    Cheers, Bryn
    Targex Bullets.
    Im a believer. They were great in my .243 You must have a very good shed.
    Dreamer likes this.