Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: new barrel - hard to eject rounds

Whatever the problem is good luck getting it sorted. I hope Hardy has matured a bit from the days where he was the self proclaimed gods gift to gunsmithing and the customer was always wrong.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    so if you chamber a round and dont fire it..will it eject easily???
    No, I have to hammer the bolt open, (not using an actual hammer) but is very stiff.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaDelta View Post
    No, I have to hammer the bolt open, (not using an actual hammer) but is very stiff.
    Ah righ, that sounds bad

Keep us updated on the fix.

A wee video showing the problem may help diagnosis.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    Small base die should fix that?
    I suggested that to the smith, he said it wouldn't work. But brand new brass did

GWH
    So it seems the smith never test fired it then
    tetawa, Micky Duck and caberslash like this.

The usual cause of such problems is a rough chamber, normally caused by trying to take too large cuts. The reamer must be withdrawn , cleaned and lubed, many times, especially when getting near the finished size. Easy to fix by setting the barrel back one turn and re-cutting the chamber correctly. Haste makes waste!

I have an old bsa 270 that does that. Has an issue with the case neck once fired. Any issues with your ejected brass ?

so therefore it has NOTHING AT ALL to do with headspace increasing size of case...cause the case hasnt increased in size YET..... it could be timing of bolt lugs into recesses??? or any number of other things any gunsmith worth his weight in goat turds should be able to sort.

please try one wee thing,loosen front action screw 1 turn and try again...my old model 70 would poke end of action screw into one lug of bolt till I filed it fly shit shorter...the screw not the lug....

Congratulations on the new gun. I support the suggestion to send the gun back to Dan and the team, please send your dies, cases and load data along too.

If possible size some five cases, mark them clearly and send along too.

Give the rifle builder the opportunity to sort any issues out first. Most smiths will appreciate it.
    Tahr, mikee, Micky Duck and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    So it seems the smith never test fired it then
    I assume not. this is the first time I have got a barrel ect done, so don’t really know what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    The usual cause of such problems is a rough chamber, normally caused by trying to take too large cuts. The reamer must be withdrawn , cleaned and lubed, many times, especially when getting near the finished size. Easy to fix by setting the barrel back one turn and re-cutting the chamber correctly. Haste makes waste!
    Ok cheers, Hopefully it’s a straight forward fix to sort. I have emailed them and plan to drop off at Hardy’s end of the week

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    so therefore it has NOTHING AT ALL to do with headspace increasing size of case...cause the case hasnt increased in size YET..... it could be timing of bolt lugs into recesses??? or any number of other things any gunsmith worth his weight in goat turds should be able to sort.

please try one wee thing,loosen front action screw 1 turn and try again...my old model 70 would poke end of action screw into one lug of bolt till I filed it fly shit shorter...the screw not the lug....
    Ok cheers, I’ll call them when they come back to work hopefully on Tuesday and see what they want to do. I think ideally they take it back and have a good loom over it all. but I’ll have a look at the screw you say tho.
    Thanks for taking the time to help

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by small_caliber View Post
    What you describe is a problem extracting the fired round from the chamber.
    AND also a problem extracting unfired rounds (post #17 above).

Is the bolt hard or stiff to close when chambering a round? I would think if a round is hard to extract, it would also need some force to chamber it.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    AND also a problem extracting unfired rounds (post #17 above).

Is the bolt hard or stiff to close when chambering a round? I would think if a round is hard to extract, it would also need some force to chamber it.
    No issues at all chambering the round. bolt closes smoothly. fire round, then hard to open bolt.
    I found a leather stock whip in my Ute, so used the handle(wooden handle with leather plats) to hammer the bolt open.

ok so I WILL ask question AGAIN..... if you close bolt on a round AND DONT FIRE IT...does it eject with ease!!!!!