Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: New powder time

Greetings @Sideshow,
    Of the three powders you mention I would favour the N150 as it is the only one of the three powders that there seems to be factory data for the 7x57. That is just me though and you may prefer 550 or 555 for the extra velocity, In any case I would chronograph your 48 grain H4350 load with the 139 grain SST followed by a start load of your preferred powder. You could then work up chronographing along the way until you approach the speeds listed for the 7mm-08 and the projectile weight you are using. 7 x 57 data is a little scarce for the newer powders as the cartridge is less frequently chambered these days. I suspect that your 48 grain load is right up there with pressure as supported with the data you have from the reloading tool. Hodgons listed 46.5 grains as max with H4350 at 45,000 CUP. This is old data likely from the 1980's and the current (post 2000) H4350 is significantly faster so I would regard the velocity obtained with that load as absolute max. Please proceed with care.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Moa Hunter and Sideshow like this.

Thanks @RugerM77 I’ll look into it
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Thanks @grangpamac I’ve seen that posted on there website.
    But the best groupings I got was with the H4305, which then posted equal burn rates with N555, now yes I did ask for your opinion so I’m not poopooing what you say! Yep I’m not a chemist. But I do have an explosive ticket (expired by 23years, but they did say if you want to drop blow up two things the same way get them to burn the same way).
    Good point on the 7,o8as my rifle is not of the old action.
    Hers a few paper shots to help Name:  BEA3EACE-5DAD-4FFB-A2B4-44B0083FAB51.jpeg
Views: 169
Size:  1.66 MB
    Name:  A01CDA99-5293-4596-864A-8B63ACDBE5AB.jpeg
Views: 170
Size:  1.83 MB
    Now ignore the shots by the screw head partition shots at 50 through a red dot sight
    Name:  398D4714-B038-46CB-B11A-48583DF29EE9.jpeg
Views: 164
Size:  1,015.4 KB this is my load at 48gr
    Name:  60724747-CC6F-436C-B005-12C7512117F9.jpeg
Views: 175
Size:  1.68 MB just another with the load data not obscured.

Yeah care is what I’m taking I’m not a big fan of more power. I nearly wet my pants when Tim Taylor souped up his dish washer!

Still no signs of over pressure and as the powder is almost gone……

Think I’ll need to have a reread on the nodes and see what’s posting best with each weight of bullet and load to this, will keep you posted.
    Again cheers for the input really appreciated!
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Oh 47grain target i cant find but was inside of 1 inch

What was the rule change that restricts powder availability over there? Just an aside for my own interest! Thanks.

Hey @No.3 came about through the EU and still effected us even though we are out.
    Its to do with REACH compliant, chemicals in consumer products that are bad for you.
    Have a read of this if you want. Just look out if NZ goes this way so that you can stock up.
    Funny it dose not cover loaded ammo?
    https://www.qima.com/reach-testing?&...saAt52EALw_wcB

Re-posted from another source.

Losing their CE certification as of 1st June this year are:

All Hodgdon ADI Manufactured extruded grades (also includes two IMR branded grades - 8208 XBR and Trail Boss), so H4198 through to H1000 and Retumbo 'gone'.

All General Dynamics St. Marks Powder Florida factory grades bar maybe a couple - all Winchester powders and nearly all Hodgdon 'spherical' powders are non-compliant. Hodgdon Lil Gun is compliant, and there is a question mark re the most recent introduction - H. CFE223. So, H335, BL-C(2), H414 and so-called 'Hybrid' powders made by St Marks (H100V and a few more), H. Super and Lever-formance spherical powders will no longer be imported.

All 'legacy' IMR powders made by General Dynamics Canada, in Valleyfield, Quebec are non-compliant, ie the traditional grades made by the Du Pont Corporation in the USA and taken to Canada under new ownership are non-compliant.

Ie IMR-4198 through to IMR-7828 and including many old favourites such as 3031, 4895, and 4064.

GD Canada has introduced five new 'green' pistol / revolver grades and four rifle grades that are all REACH compliant, although not all may have been CE certified under the new standards yet. In rifle propellants, that's the new IMR 'Enduron' quartet - and I would hope that this number will be expanded but have no hard information as to whether that is a possibility. The Endurons are: IMR-4166 (H4895 / VarGet replacement); 4451 (vice IMR/H4350); 4955 (vice IMR-4831/H4831); 7977 (vice IMR-7828/H1000). 4166, 4451, and 7977 are CE certified and available now - having tried them, I'm impressed and reckon they will fill many gaps. IMR-4955 has only recently been introduced and hasn't got here yet.

I got this list off another forum.

Hodgdon

Trail Boss
    Retumbo
    H1000
    H322
    H335
    H380
    H414
    H4198
    H4350
    H4831
    H4831SC
    H4895
    US 869
    CFE BLK
    BL-C2
    BENCHMARK
    SUPERFORMANCE
    HYBRID 100V
    VARGET

IMR

BLUE PENDING CE APPROVAL
    GREEN PENDING CE APPROVAL
    RED PENDING CE APPROVAL
    TARGET PENDING CE APPROVAL
    UNEQUAL PENDING CE APPROVAL
    Moa Hunter and grandpamac like this.

Well bugger me. I'm not entirely certain how that actually applies to powders - you don't breathe them, you don't eat them, you don't wipe them all over your skin and to be honest you avoid handling them at all to minimise the chances of contamination. Entirely unsure where the risk factor is, considering it doesn't appear to apply to loaded rounds and if you have a factory producing it's own powder for their own process it doesn't appear to come under those rules as it isn't a consumer product. Weird...

Yet vaping products don't appear to yet be caught by those regs?

I have no idea about NZ going that way, I doubt us doing anything along those lines will change anything but what it might do is give us more access to ADI manufacture.
    Sideshow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Hey @No.3 came about through the EU and still effected us even though we are out.
    Its to do with REACH compliant, chemicals in consumer products that are bad for you.
    Have a read of this if you want. Just look out if NZ goes this way so that you can stock up.
    Funny it dose not cover loaded ammo?
    https://www.qima.com/reach-testing?&...saAt52EALw_wcB

Re-posted from another source.

Losing their CE certification as of 1st June this year are:

All Hodgdon ADI Manufactured extruded grades (also includes two IMR branded grades - 8208 XBR and Trail Boss), so H4198 through to H1000 and Retumbo 'gone'.

All General Dynamics St. Marks Powder Florida factory grades bar maybe a couple - all Winchester powders and nearly all Hodgdon 'spherical' powders are non-compliant. Hodgdon Lil Gun is compliant, and there is a question mark re the most recent introduction - H. CFE223. So, H335, BL-C(2), H414 and so-called 'Hybrid' powders made by St Marks (H100V and a few more), H. Super and Lever-formance spherical powders will no longer be imported.

All 'legacy' IMR powders made by General Dynamics Canada, in Valleyfield, Quebec are non-compliant, ie the traditional grades made by the Du Pont Corporation in the USA and taken to Canada under new ownership are non-compliant.

Ie IMR-4198 through to IMR-7828 and including many old favourites such as 3031, 4895, and 4064.

GD Canada has introduced five new 'green' pistol / revolver grades and four rifle grades that are all REACH compliant, although not all may have been CE certified under the new standards yet. In rifle propellants, that's the new IMR 'Enduron' quartet - and I would hope that this number will be expanded but have no hard information as to whether that is a possibility. The Endurons are: IMR-4166 (H4895 / VarGet replacement); 4451 (vice IMR/H4350); 4955 (vice IMR-4831/H4831); 7977 (vice IMR-7828/H1000). 4166, 4451, and 7977 are CE certified and available now - having tried them, I'm impressed and reckon they will fill many gaps. IMR-4955 has only recently been introduced and hasn't got here yet.

I got this list off another forum.

Hodgdon

Trail Boss
    Retumbo
    H1000
    H322
    H335
    H380
    H414
    H4198
    H4350
    H4831
    H4831SC
    H4895
    US 869
    CFE BLK
    BL-C2
    BENCHMARK
    SUPERFORMANCE
    HYBRID 100V
    VARGET

IMR

BLUE PENDING CE APPROVAL
    GREEN PENDING CE APPROVAL
    RED PENDING CE APPROVAL
    TARGET PENDING CE APPROVAL
    UNEQUAL PENDING CE APPROVAL
    Greetings All,
    In the light of the above the discontinuance of the Enduron powders, confirmed by IMR/ Hodgdons, makes even less sense. I think there is more to come on this one.
    GPM.

Hey look don’t panic ist not………coming your way yet just watch out for it!
    My biggest problem is get the V for copper bullets!