Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: powder for magnums?

Quote Originally Posted by puku View Post
    Without knowing the load I would say that there is not enough powder and it isn't burning completely.
    Fixed it for you

Obviously I'm not suggesting putting more in without knowing the load or pressure indicators .

2225 should only be used with 140 grain and heavier projectiles in 7mm rem mag. Sooty residue is due to incomplete combustion and is an indicator of less than optimum load development. Recommended powder for 7mm Rem mag is 2217 which is just a little faster. 2217 and 2225 both work well with a compressed load but should be worked up . If you visit the ADI website you can get loading data for most combinations of projectile and powder. With these slow burning powders it is vital not to go below the recommended minimum starting load due to the possibility of a S.E.E .
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

What is the barrel length?
    Manufactured Commercial Small Arms 2010 USA Vs. Commercial Small Arms 2010 Imported to NZ
    ... 1,800,000.00 / 8,000.00 = 0.44%

righto ill try answer a few questions, when i was testing some starting loads with 2225 every single shot is leaving the barrel looking like a chimney, hence im cleaning it after every shot so its nice and clean again because i dont hunt with a barrel full of soot. im shooting 154gr ssts from my 26inch barrel. it was also doing this when i was loading for my 270wsm.

Im using Retumbo (which I think is the same powder) in my 6.5SAUM with 140gn proj and mag primers and not having any issues like this
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

maybe im just a bit retarded and doing it all wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by silentscope View Post
    maybe im just a bit retarded and doing it all wrong.
    Somehow doubt that, are you using Magnum Primers.
    my load would be "up there" in terms of powder charge its not exactly a "starting load"
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Somehow doubt that, are you using Magnum Primers.
    my load would be "up there" in terms of powder charge its not exactly a "starting load"
    yep federal 215 i think they are. ill try hotting them up a but more and see if that helps.

I'm using 63 odd gr of IMR in my 7 rm and it's nice and clean with Winchester magnum primers had a similar issue with shooting federal blue factory actually... But all good once I made the switch to these hand loads irrespective of pill.

righto ill try answer a few questions, when i was testing some starting loads with 2225 every single shot is leaving the barrel looking like a chimney, hence im cleaning it after every shot so its nice and clean again because i dont hunt with a barrel full of soot. im shooting 154gr ssts from my 26inch barrel. it was also doing this when i was loading for my 270wsm.
    Can you say what your load is related to the ADI book? Don't need to tell how much you charging but just if it is above maximum or bellow. My question is because my rifle(a Tikka T3 lite) has the accuracy load within 0.5 grains from the maximum recommended in the book, anything above that the grouping goes "wide" and pressure signs appear, such as bolt marks and stick bolt.
    My 2 rifles shoot great and don't leave any "crap" in the barrel, just the usual residue.
    You may be getting nice velocities with the 2225 out your 26" barrel.
    Good luck!

P.S.: I am using 2217 mostly in my 162gn Amax's loads, 2225 only with the 168gn.
    Last edited by PERRISCICABA; 04-06-2015 at 11:34 PM.
    Carpe Diem likes this.

How much powder are you using. What primer are you using. What is the C.O.L. Are you crimping at the Cannelure.

im upto 73ish grains. its shooting fine under an inch at 100. my c.o.l is what the book recommended and no im not crimping. havent measured velocity yet was working on accuracy first. anyone know where the next nearest range is to ashburton? i want to go for a few shots this weekend.

Stop looking down the bore.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

as long as its not going to cause any damage ill just forget about it and carry on as normal.

I think you are at near max now.73 grains is a compressed load so you should be getting a clean burn. Hornady crimp their sst bullets at the Cannelure , this insures that powder is ignited before the primer pushes the bullet into the rifling causing initial lower pressure and then a barrel obstruction. I would change primers and moderately crimp . I would drop the powder charge back about 3 grains and work up checking for pressure increases as you go. Something is not right with a sooty barrel but with a good group you have a puzzle alright. You could always do as sneeze suggests and stop looking down the bore.