Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: powder for magnums?

Quote Originally Posted by silentscope View Post
    im loading for my 7mm rem mag, im using AR2225 and im finding its leaving a lot of sooty shit in the barrel after each shot. i have also used this powder for my 270wsm and it had the same sooty shit left behind. are there any cleaner burning powders i could use for my magnum so i dont need to clean after every shot? or is there another way of getting a cleaner burn from the 2225? iv only ever used ADI powders.

thanks.
    I use 2225 with 180 H8unting VLD's and don't have any trouble with over fouling. Perhaps using too light of a bullet and powder not burning efficiently could be the problem. I have always used 2213sc with lighter bullets and got great accuracy from it.
    (Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt)
    Confuscious say war not determine who right, war determine who left

ill do another batch and try a couple of things you guys have suggested, maybe its not as bad as i think it is? ill try a string of shots and see if the group gets worse and if not ill forget about it. cheers

I'm using ADI2225 with 154gr sst, the same magnum federal primers and almost the same charge in the same chambering.
    I have never looked down the tube between shots and just clean up after a blast so i can't say weather mine burns clean.
    If you're not having any issues with accuracy and they are moving along at the desired speed I wouldn't worry about it.
    "Black shit" as you say, is easy to clean and it doesn't harm anything,