Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Is this really the state of component shortages?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Is that hoarding, or being prudent?
    Buying what you use or plan to use in bulk: Prudent
    Buying what you don't intend to use: Hoarding
    Cyclops, Russian 22. and -BW- like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetite View Post
    Buying what you use or plan to use in bulk: Prudent
    Buying what you don't intend to use: Hoarding
    Buying to sell on at inflated prices: just a cunt
    #DANNYCENT

Can’t see the supply getting better anytime soon.
    If anything I think it will get worse.
    If it comes up and is reasonably priced, buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mikee, Tedz50 and charliehorse like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    There is a way to defeat the gougers - don't buy from them.
    ^^^^^this, so much this ^^^^^^^
    I refuse to pay gouged prices for anything, it only encourages the practice.
    I'm not gonna be popular for saying this but it comes up on here in the buy sell section frequently "I want "$xxx" cause that's what I paid" sorry but if you paid more than retail that's on you and no matter what it is, I certainly won't buy it no matter what breed of fairy dust or unicorn turds your peddling no matter how much I need/want it.
    I have enough components for my main hunting rifle to keep me hunting for years, I just keep topping up when retailers get stock, I don't clear out stores stock and bulk buy, just get what I can so everyone gets a fair crack at it.
    If I ever get to the point of not being able to feed my main hunting rifle I'll just get a 308 and shoot whatever factory ammo I can lay my hands on that shoots acceptable groups in it.
    #DANNYCENT

nah you will use the 223 lol
    dannyb likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Buying to sell on at inflated prices: just a cunt
    The moderators need to sort out super dooper likes mate
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

^^^^^this, so much this ^^^^^^^
    I refuse to pay gouged prices for anything, it only encourages the practice.
    I'm not gonna be popular for saying this but it comes up on here in the buy sell section frequently "I want "$xxx" cause that's what I paid" sorry but if you paid more than retail that's on you and no matter what it is, I certainly won't buy it no matter what breed of fairy dust or unicorn turds your peddling no matter how much I need/want it.
    I have enough components for my main hunting rifle to keep me hunting for years, I just keep topping up when retailers get stock, I don't clear out stores stock and bulk buy, just get what I can so everyone gets a fair crack at it.
    If I ever get to the point of not being able to feed my main hunting rifle I'll just get a 308 and shoot whatever factory ammo I can lay my hands on that shoots acceptable groups in it.
    Yip .308 and 22-250 would see me right iv taken every NZ game animal except wapiti and rusa with a 16 .308 not because it couldn’t but because it didn’t get the opportunity at the time . 22-250/.223 just to clarify but I like to have a hot rod and sadly my cars 20k of being finished and is the absolute bottom of my priority’s so 22-250 for the win. Also wouldn’t turn my nose up at a .270 given the stocks of my local id love to fine tune one with 140gn pills
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    The moderators need to sort out super dooper likes mate
    Well if anyone should have "super dooper" likes it should be fitting that it be me
    #DANNYCENT

Well if anyone should have "super dooper" likes it should be fitting that it be me
    I appreciate “cunt” used in context a fine quality only Kiwis and our Australian cousins can do. Iv travelled the world and GC is not appreciated globally I can vouch for that

Trailboss (opened) sold on Trade Me for $357 the other day!

There is a saying with Real Estate you didn't pay to much you just bought to soon.
    When it comes to components for reloading the longer you put off buying the more they will cost.
    5 years ago 50 cal Primers cost more than these current trade me prices but now look cheap because they are not available so stocking up was not hoarding but common sense.We have seen lean times several times in the past but never learn,People seem happy to stock up on toilet paper,flour and other essentials but cry foul when comes to things that affect their hobbies.
    22 longs were very hard to get a few years ago so when I saw them for sale I bought in bulk now they are as rare as primers.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Greetings All,
    Watching this thread has been interesting and to an extent amusing. The cyclic shortages of components is driven by the US election cycle with Covid and transport shortages extending the current one. A quick look on the interweb showed some hope for improvement but we are at the very end of a supply chain so hopefully we might get some respite before the next round of US election panic buying starts in early 2024.
    To guard against future disruptions to our ammo supplies we, as handloaders, should keep a minimum level of supply of adequate components to keep us shooting. By this I don't mean hoarding vast quantities of components for every rifle that we have but just an adequate supply for one or two rifles that will cover our needs. For me these would be the .223 and the .308 with the latter being optional. Only one powder (AR2206H in my case) is needed and there seems to be adequate components currently available to load the .223 at least. Large Rifle primers seem to be a bit short at the moment.
    High prices are an inevitable result of high demand and shortage of supply (including freight). We should expect prices to be high at the moment. Manufacturers discount their goods in times of low demand to maintain market share. We should expect gradual improvement in supply for the balance of this year and into next but by the beginning of 2024 all bets will be off. Just make sure that you are ready.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Greetings All,
    Watching this thread has been interesting and to an extent amusing. The cyclic shortages of components is driven by the US election cycle with Covid and transport shortages extending the current one. A quick look on the interweb showed some hope for improvement but we are at the very end of a supply chain so hopefully we might get some respite before the next round of US election panic buying starts in early 2024.
    To guard against future disruptions to our ammo supplies we, as handloaders, should keep a minimum level of supply of adequate components to keep us shooting. By this I don't mean hoarding vast quantities of components for every rifle that we have but just an adequate supply for one or two rifles that will cover our needs. For me these would be the .223 and the .308 with the latter being optional. Only one powder (AR2206H in my case) is needed and there seems to be adequate components currently available to load the .223 at least. Large Rifle primers seem to be a bit short at the moment.
    High prices are an inevitable result of high demand and shortage of supply (including freight). We should expect prices to be high at the moment. Manufacturers discount their goods in times of low demand to maintain market share. We should expect gradual improvement in supply for the balance of this year and into next but by the beginning of 2024 all bets will be off. Just make sure that you are ready.
    Regards Grandpamac.

GRRRRRR.
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

Banned
    We dont know which companies have govt contracts for the supply of military munitions in the US but with 40 Billion of military 'Aid' going to Ukraine I think it is a safe bet that every munitions company in the US is going hammer and tongs 24 /7 making 7.62 and 5.56 and are not interested in making sporting components

After reading this post I thought I would check out 50BMG primers as they were about $28.00/100 a few years ago and I thought now they could be a bargain compared to LR primers. What a shock!!!! $99-$135 per 100. Will be rationing them now.

https://www.reloaders.co.nz/shop/Rel...ox+of+100.html

https://gunsnz.com/reloading-Cleaning-ammo/primers