Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Seating depth - who bothers?

Nice work there Veitnamcam - I for one am also wondering of the seating depths and changes it can make. To show the results is a great way to demonstrate what can/does happen when just one aspect of reloading is changed.... Kudos!

Might have to seat a projectile and close the bolt on it to remeasure and set my seating die I think....

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I find group shape changes with length.
    Attachment 4865
    I usually go ladder then pick a charge then varie length for best groups

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty Factory Trigger View Post
    Nice work there Veitnamcam - I for one am also wondering of the seating depths and changes it can make. To show the results is a great way to demonstrate what can/does happen when just one aspect of reloading is changed.... Kudos!

Might have to seat a projectile and close the bolt on it to remeasure and set my seating die I think....
    If you do that on a sized neck you will end up with 5 odd thou Jam and it will probably stick in the lands when you extract.
    you can buy things to get just touch overall length or size a case cut down the neck with a hack saw and debur with a needle file and piss round with it till it just holds a pill firmly but you can slide it in and out buy hand.
    Do it 5 or 6 times, if length vary wildly its to tight and being pulled back out by sticking in the lands.
    Double check just touch with your first 5 or so loaded rounds buy carefully inspecting ogive and scrubbing round with scotch brite(shows the slightest touch)
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I think most shooters only worry about jump when ya can't get a load to work, the old story, if it works don't fuck with it !

AB Precision

Re: Seating depth - who bothers?

I do what cam does load 5thou off lands an ladder for pressure them change jump to tune load. An if I have to make jump big ish them I up charge again with ladder.

sent from my Samsung s3 using tapatalk 2

normally I try to seat one caliber depth into the case especially if the rifle has a long throat like the ex military 6.5x55's then work up an accurate load for the rifle generally works for me rather than chasing optimum seating depths unless the one caliber depth trick does not work.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Please I say
    make mine McClelland's Islay
    today, any day and every day!

The concord was an imperial / metric master piece. Half French and half English and it flew fairly fast,high and hot

Ive just done a little playing around with seating depths.. Reason being, the fathers' loads with softnose projs, go exactly where we aim, as for my lot, same powder weight, same proj weight, though diff shape (150gr SST)... go a little wide off mark..

looking a little deeper, shows the ogives of the projs differ alot - looks as though my SSTs' got a HUGE jump before the lands, whereas the fathers projectiles, are fatter nearer the tip..
    ok, start pulling out the proj till we do find the lands...
    Can STILL close the bolt on them, even though the cartridge wont fit the magazine anymore.. !
    Anyone else come across this? Howa 1500 bolt action. So now, reduced the jump somewhat, (quite alot!), but now go off the max magazine length? Id rather try and stay as close to the lands as possible...
    Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    If you do that on a sized neck you will end up with 5 odd thou Jam and it will probably stick in the lands when you extract.
    you can buy things to get just touch overall length or size a case cut down the neck with a hack saw and debur with a needle file and piss round with it till it just holds a pill firmly but you can slide it in and out buy hand.
    Do it 5 or 6 times, if length vary wildly its to tight and being pulled back out by sticking in the lands.
    Double check just touch with your first 5 or so loaded rounds buy carefully inspecting ogive and scrubbing round with scotch brite(shows the slightest touch)

Caretaker

Seating depth - who bothers?

NFT, thats very common
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Re: Seating depth - who bothers?

Yep you won't get to the lands with pointy pills and still fit the mag in a lot of rifles.
    Try max mag fit length load a few up and shorter in say .2mm steps and hopefully one will stand out as a shooter. Of course it just might not like them.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2

I used to load 20 thou off and do groups then pick the best and tweak the distances to the lands..... Now I load to mag length or off the lands and do a a few groups... then if it doesn't work I may play with distances but I haven't needed to since I found I get great results from using using a bump with a shell holder to suit the head space and Collet die for the neck
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    By jamming, on and off the lands, are you not changing the pressure, which you can also do by picking a set length and playing with powder?
    Just putting it out there

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    By jamming, on and off the lands, are you not changing the pressure, which you can also do by picking a set length and playing with powder?
    Just putting it out there
    True, but is pressure the only factor that affects accuracy?

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar

Seating depth - who bothers?

Prob not. All a black art, and one of the few things in life that can't be quantified exactly.
    I'd say harmonics being the main part.

I play with both length and charge and also powders till I get pissed of with a pill that wont shoot how I want it to then try another one