Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Start of a review of Bulletseaker by longseeker.com the replacement of Labradar

Start of a review of Bulletseaker by longseeker.com the replacement of Labradar

After I sold my Labradar and people on the forum strongly suggested the latest and greatest replacement. I decided to get one to test it out. Even though I hardly shoot nowadays, this might get me back into the game.
    Anyway, here it is, probably the first one in the country. And this is the start of my review, more information will be posted here as I have more experience with it.

Name:  IMG_7800.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  95.0 KB

First of all, this thing is smaller than a hand torch and half as tall as a wine glass. Compare to the big orange panel plus stands and wires and battery bank, this think is 1/20 of the size of the Labradar and 1/10 of the mess. It has internal battery and everything works off the app on your phone.
    But mounting it onto the gun requires a little bit of work and imagination.
    It is designed to be mounted on picatinny rails, and it has a 3D printed adapter to mount on a handguard or a barrel.
    Name:  IMG_7778.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  113.7 KB
    You can not mount it behind the normal arrangement of an Atlas bipod as it will block it's signal.
    Mark and Sam has a bipod mounting system this above the barrel, so their Bulletseeker is clear of obstruction.
    Name:  IMG_7796.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  137.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_7797.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  77.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_7799.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  98.5 KB
    I know a lot of guys would be against mounting anything on the barrel as it will effect the harmonics, but I did it just for the sake of showing how it would work.

So I started testing this this wee machine in my dungeon, my full concrete 15m range downstairs.

First up, my Gamo airgun .177
    Name:  IMG_7786.jpg
Views: 2642
Size:  135.8 KB
    Set up with a mini tripod, I masking taped a picatinny rail to it, little thing mounted easily and sitting straight.
    Bang bang bang......
    All 3 shots tracked and speed showing with amazing SD ES, ooohh yes baby,, yahoooooooo.......... it works.....
    My Labradar never worked in this environment as if I have any steel targets in front of it, it gives stupid readings like 6000fps or errors. And it never tracked bullets with reliable speed readings.
    So this little guy is already doing better than Labradar.

Name:  IMG_7789.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  84.3 KB

Second up, air pistol.

Name:  IMG_7790.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  135.7 KB

Bang , aye??? Nothing showing, check alignment of the Bulletseeker check Target.
    Bang ! WTF ?? Nothing..... check everything again.
    This time, Bang !!!! Oh, for Fuck sakes..... it can't trace any bullet out of this gun.
    The only reason I can think of is "the bullets going too slow" ?
    Give up, try something else.

I'm not a bow shooter, so I must being doing something wrong.

Name:  IMG_7794.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  93.4 KB
    tried it off the big tripod, shooting the bow next to the bulletseeker, did not work.
    tried taping the bullet seeker on the bow to a few different positions, that didn't work either.
    Name:  IMG_7795.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  144.8 KB
    So you bow experts can tell me what I am doing wrong.

I will post more reviews when I shoot real guns at the range so you guys can see how it goes but I can't imagine it would be much different from other users on Youtube.

Anyway, have a good night and a good long weekend, guys.
    More post coming soon.

Bulletseeker Failed to track any bow shots. I think it is not made to seek arrows only bullets? haha.......

Another advantage of this smaller unit is that It would not get whipped by muzzle brake blast as easily as the big orange panel would. I remember I had to move the Labradar to the front of the muzzle to avoid being damaged by muzzle brake blast. That is sometimes hard to achieve when you have a long barreled rifle and the bench at the range is too short.
    Last edited by lee308; 24-09-2022 at 12:48 AM.
    dannyb likes this.

@lee308 can I ask where you ordered it from and what it cost landed ?
    lee308 likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    @lee308 can I ask where you ordered it from and what it cost landed ?
    You can get it from NZ Agent Target Dynamics.
    https://targetdynamics.co.nz/?s=Bull...ct&dgwt_wcas=1
    dannyb likes this.

I can see those replacing the big arse things the cops use on cars haha. Seems a lot better a system than what's come before, but it's still a pricey little toy!
    lee308 likes this.

I just got a labradar and it tracked an experimental big bore pcp, my 45-70 with can, a 7mmRM 2m away and some dude rattling off with a russian thing 5m away. Extremely sensitive using the microphone adapter
    It gave a crap load of data out to 100m which was in line with my real world results out to 200m. After a little hiccup using micros that they clearly said not to use (my bad). It's working pressure easily.

I make a lot of cast bullet types so I need something that generates a good estimate of BC value as the mould makers only can help with form factor. I try lots of coatings too so they can't help with that. The Labradar lite is working great for me. What sort of data can the new mounted unit record/download?
    lee308 likes this.

I’m waiting on mine to arrive.
    I was going to try it on a tripod first up as only one of my rifles is likely to take it in front of the bipod. Maybe mounting to the scope like a torch would work?
    Really keen to try mine out. I’ve always had trust issues with the old school chrono that I currently use. Depending on lighting conditions it’ll read differently up to 100fps. Variations are always consistent though.
    lee308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by T.FOYE View Post
    I just got a labradar and it tracked an experimental big bore pcp, my 45-70 with can, a 7mmRM 2m away and some dude rattling off with a russian thing 5m away. Extremely sensitive using the microphone adapter
    It gave a crap load of data out to 100m which was in line with my real world results out to 200m. After a little hiccup using micros that they clearly said not to use (my bad). It's working pressure easily.

I make a lot of cast bullet types so I need something that generates a good estimate of BC value as the mould makers only can help with form factor. I try lots of coatings too so they can't help with that. The Labradar lite is working great for me. What sort of data can the new mounted unit record/download?
    Just speed related data, no energy calculations as far as I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Noswal View Post
    I’m waiting on mine to arrive.
    I was going to try it on a tripod first up as only one of my rifles is likely to take it in front of the bipod. Maybe mounting to the scope like a torch would work?
    Really keen to try mine out. I’ve always had trust issues with the old school chrono that I currently use. Depending on lighting conditions it’ll read differently up to 100fps. Variations are always consistent though.
    My new test showed it can’t track suppressored 22LR. Don’t know why. But will keep testing.

The APP is only a test APP, so there is much more to improve. We are test rats just like driving a Tesla. Exciting when it works but the screen may blackout anytime and doors may not open. Lol

Looks like a good idea.
    What permissions do you have to give the App ?
    Maybe cant tell till you get the Finished release ?
    lee308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Looks like a good idea.
    What permissions do you have to give the App ?
    Maybe cant tell till you get the Finished release ?
    Didn’t even look at what permits I had to give to the App. I feel like a Fkn prostitute everytime I install an APP, so I have gotten used to being sold off.
    Bagheera likes this.

Any further testing on the unit?
    lee308 likes this.

What size battery does it take
    lee308 likes this.