Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Start of a review of Bulletseaker by longseeker.com the replacement of Labradar

I've found with mine it struggles with my can from Sonic on the 223. seems the muzzle cloud from it is different from the DPT on the 6.5, no problem, but it struggles with the smaller caliber. I have the parabolic adapter and mount it 30mm back from the end of the can using a rubber band as they have demonstrated in the tricks n tips. been waiting to test if further but time and weather and access rds gone are a hindrance
    lee308 likes this.
    Good, Fast, Cheap....choose any 2.

Looks like my labradar is safe from the rubbish for a bit longer!

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    7mmsaum, zimmer and lee308 like this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

I have the replacement unit from the NZ agent. came with the parabolic adapter, not for free though. As I promised I would test this week and report here, I went to the range in the rain and mud. I almost quit that idea as it was pissing down. Anyway, got there and set up.

Name:  IMG_0372.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  1.07 MB

Bang bang bang......

Name:  IMG_0374.PNG
Views: 375
Size:  175.2 KB

Yes, it reads every shot except one when my phone decided to turn off the screen.
    Parabolic adapter got shaken off by the recoil as I didn't want to tighten it too much.
    So I used the unit without the parabolic adapter to see if it reads the speed.

Name:  IMG_0373.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  1.03 MB

It sure does, although the ES and SD aren't single digits but not bad for a new barrel getting it's first speed polish.

Name:  IMG_0371.PNG
Views: 375
Size:  176.9 KB

And shooting off a concrete bench sucks, the gun jumps a lot. The grouping is okay. More work to be done.
    At least now I know that the last unit I got was a dud as this one worked well and the on / off switch actually response properly.
    The updated app worked better, I am also getting better at using it. It can record strings of shots and you can add a target photo to your string so you know the result of those shots.

Name:  IMG_0376.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  909.3 KB

It was getting real dark and I had to use the illuminated reticle for the last 2 groups.
    I would have tested the unit on my other rifle by attaching the unit to the barrel but I ran out of time.
    I will report here next time I get to test the Bulletseeker more.

Have a great weekend guys.
    Steelisreal and tibo like this.

I don't own a Bulletseeker, just a Labradar with inertia trigger which is very reliable. I have however used one when our team was in S Africa. It would trigger most of the time but some of the other guys found it super frustrating. The biggest issue was the accuracy- to get the vel range I wanted, I had to up the charge (of the different powder) quite a bit but the recoil was noticeably higher. It correlated with the primer flattening. One of the locals had a Labradar and that gave readings of about 80fps higher than the Bulletseeker!! The recoil and primers made me believe the Labradar.
    lee308 likes this.

80 fps variance between LR and BS seems a bit over the top. I’ve only seen about 10-20fps difference between the two units across 6 different rifles (22’s and centrefire) and is within the stated accuracy of the units (1%).

Id be nervous about trusting the accuracy of that particular BS unit for sure.
    lee308 likes this.

Seems to work well now. I strap a 4x3 to the bench if I use a bipod. You can then load you bipod, make a hell of a difference.
    lee308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tibo View Post
    Seems to work well now. I strap a 4x3 to the bench if I use a bipod. You can then load you bipod, make a hell of a difference.
    I’ll try remember that next time.
    I’m still learning this new 338 and BS set up and got a bit on my plate.
    Haha…..

Just as a follow up, I was using the BS4 (great acronym) with my 223 and a sonic max 6 can, The BS struggled to log the shots, 12 out of 40. I had a hunch it was the can and the muzzle cloud ejecta due to the aperture of the max 6 vs the 223 projectile. Got a Dpt and tried again. it dropped one shot out of 20. I have had it work on 22lr, 223 and 6.5 with good results

ymmv.
    lee308 likes this.
    Good, Fast, Cheap....choose any 2.

Hey guys,
    Here is an update again.
    I got out of the golf addiction today and got to the range with my Blaser 6.5x55 and DT 338 Lapua mag. Trying the mounting method of using rubber rings and V shaped clamp on the barrel for the bulletseeker.

Name:  IMG_1283.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  134.6 KB

This method of mounting worked well, but it will not stay in the same position on your barrel after a few shots, so you need to readjust it.
    Bulletseaker will miss 1 shot in every 5 shots which is annoying. I started doing 3 shots for some groups to see if its the movement on the barrel that is making it miss a shot.

Name:  IMG_1286.PNG
Views: 191
Size:  164.5 KB

The APP is working well and you have options to see shot information, add a target photo and add notes etc

Name:  IMG_1284.PNG
Views: 190
Size:  177.9 KB

My load worked well with no pressure sign and target picture taken at 200M. Zeroed at 100m dropped 14cm.

Name:  IMG_1287.JPG
Views: 189
Size:  176.0 KB

DTA 338 Lapua was a bitch to handle today because I'm rusty as after not shooting for such a long time.
    Also when you want to shoot prone, the new concrete pad at the range doesn't work as well as how it used to be (grass patch).
    The bipod prefers the grass rather than concrete to absorb some energy.

Anyway, Bullet seeker was missing bullets again, 2 out of 5.
    I bet it was because the bipod was jumping too much and it can not stay on the path of bullet travel.
    One of my loads was a bit hot and one shell stuck in the chamber and took a bit of hammering to extract the shell.

I used 250 grain Lapua scena bullets 95.5 grain AR2225, worked okay before, but not today.

It was a fun day and I'm happy to be at the range again.

Have a good weekend guys, daylight savings on this weekend.
    charliehorse likes this.

Don't suppose you have a PCP air rifle laying around that you could test the Bulletseeker on? Even better if it has a can on it. I want to know if it will pick up the shots

Seems a little OTT to buy a Labradar for that, but my OCD is compelling me....
    lee308 likes this.

Up to Speedtracker (renamed) Mk4 now.
    The FX Ballistic Chronograph is now "the" device but super expensive unfortunately.

My old Labradar just continues to truck along...

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    Looks like my labradar is safe from the rubbish for a bit longer!

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    My 30 plus year old Oehler 35P as well.
    GPM.
    lee308 and techno retard like this.