Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

Like Tree1723Likes

Thread: Bird Predator Control

That’s a big Norway Kiwi-Hunter
    I went back up this morning to check a couple of boxes - rare that I see a trap the very next day - the lure was gone off most of them and there were no furry victims - must be insects - ants or roaches
    Does anyone have any ideas of how I can keep ants etc off traps?

Quote Originally Posted by time out View Post
    That’s a big Norway Kiwi-Hunter
    I went back up this morning to check a couple of boxes - rare that I see a trap the very next day - the lure was gone off most of them and there were no furry victims - must be insects - ants or roaches
    Does anyone have any ideas of how I can keep ants etc off traps?
    Move to a colder climate ? LOL, Sorry mate couldnt help myself
    time out likes this.

What sort of pack/bum bag set up do you guys run when carrying your tools, replacement baits/lures, gloves etc when checking traps. I have an original NZ made Macpac frameless single bag pack that is 40 ? years old. Its light and comfortable but its a pain to find stuff in when you want to find a screwdriver or knife , what ever you want is always right at the bottom of the pack.

My estuary lines are obviously pretty flat so i just carry a 20lt bucket with every thing in so its accessible and the crescent in my hand/pocket for opening the traps, started with a pack but was always rummaging for this and that and breaking eggs
    I grew up looking for frogs and shit!

You grew up looking for a wi fi connection.......we are not the same!

Yep thats me too...

I find the bucket quicker and easier than the backpack, however I also am not walking miles

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Too cold for me down there Mate - keep moving north to find warmer weather but still no good
    I used a twin bag frame pack for years - but could never find things - so got an army surplus pack about three years ago - comfortable and works well as I can strap it in to suit my gear - my wife keeps telling me to get rid of the gear that I don’t use - but I might need it - always carry a small slasher, doc250 setting tool, hammer, screw driver, screws, bait etc - just about due for replacement
    I like my hands free to carry a pole and hold onto stuff
    https://www.armyandoutdoors.co.nz/co...25l-olive-drab

Name:  20190305_090824.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  589.3 KB

Thanks for the replies, a bucket isnt really suitable for me, i am like time out i carry a mountain stick for balance and like my other hand free. I will have a look at that pack, thank you.

I like how your wife tells you about getting rid of gear... My mantra if you call it gear you never get rid of it... if you call it stuff, you get rid of it LOL.

Its blimmin cold alright, i went to a lamb sale today and at noon when i left it was 4 degrees... My guess is my high country traps will have a bit of snow on them.

Another question, i have a few traps set locally that i bike or walk past when taking the dog for a run/walk. I have a bit of flagging tape that protrudes 25 to 50mm out of the top of the box so that i can see at a distance if the trap has been sprung or not.. I have been doing this for a year plus.. Any thoughts that flagging tape puts off animals from approaching the trap ? I have caught plenty of animals in these traps but am always thinking of ways i can improve my catch.. thought please..

I've used all sorts of tapes (fluoro orange, pink and differing lengths etc as well as spray can orange paint ) and have not found any difference between unflagged and flagged traps. It was very interesting to look at footage from trail cameras that were placed overlooking DOC 150's and DOC 250's as many predators would visit the trap many times before actually entering the trap - they can be very cautious. Autumn is certainly a good time of year to be trapping for ferrets and feral cats especially if the rabbit population is unusually low. Had to shut down the traps a little early as snow was coming in down to 500m but got some good results including this largish cat and an albino ferret.Name:  IMG_0231.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  4.19 MBName:  IMG_0200.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  3.18 MB
    Kiwi-Hunter, time out and kukuwai like this.

Thanks bing. Cool catch that ferret. I have caught a couple of stoats that were way whiter than usual in the middle of winter and know that a few pure white but not albino stoats are caught by one group trapping on the main divide. Yip winter is here.

Hi first time post really just working it out. Was very excited got my first mustelid

Name:  263F6E1C-953E-49ED-B574-256331867BBD.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  2.31 MBName:  F875B785-BB92-4B86-83E0-2E1E787240A5.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  3.38 MB

Also a possum and two rats. Have been trapping for a bit but usually rats and hedgehogs. But the dog puts the possums up the trees for me. Was a bad day for vermin.

Welcome Orcrist,
    Well done on the weasel, i always that Banks Peninsula area would be a blimmin dangerous place for a predator to be... lots of traps and some great work being done over there.

Thanks sore head stoat. The peninsula would be a great place to put a predator fence across the narrow bit and go to town on extermination of nasties. The weasel I saw on the road just down from my house and missed running it over. When I came home I shifted a couple of traps down to the road and managed to nail it. Not heaps of mustelid thankfully but lots of possums and rats.
    time out and Sparrow like this.