Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Most accurate and reliable .22 ammo for hunting

CCI for consistency. i used to use lots of winchester "laser" and "expediter" but as time wore on they started to sound different each shot. some went bang some went boom and groups spread.
    if you are shooting a semi 22 then steer away from remington and aguila the powder is filthy stuff

Had same and found it was the dirty barrel increasing pressure and speed of the bullet,give a run thru with the cleaning rod every now and then fixed it.

CCI for all rimfire. they are the most consistent unless you want to spend $$$$$ on target grade ammo like eley tenex
    i would never use remington in a semi, sure it hits hard but that powder is dirty as hell

Winchester subs for killing power for me i found cci subs were lacking on kill rate

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and viper like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    Winchester subs for killing power for me i found cci subs were lacking on kill rate

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Yep I found the same, after shooting thousands of rabbits with both CCi and Winchester subsonic ammo I feel that the Winchester projectile is more effective on small game.
    I find that the Winchester projectile with the larger hollow point delivers energy and expansion better.
    I also noticed that a few in every packet of CCI the wax coating has actually filled the entire hollow point up , this won't help with expansion or energy delivery, they almost act like solids.

One big different is the audible thump when both the projectiles hit. The Winchester is a much louder thump as it connects which to me indicates more energy delivered and better expansion , kill rates also back it up.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Yep I found the same, after shooting thousands of rabbits with both CCi and Winchester subsonic ammo I feel that the Winchester projectile is more effective on small game.
    I find that the Winchester projectile with the larger hollow point delivers energy and expansion better.
    I also noticed that a few in every packet of CCI the wax coating has actually filled the entire hollow point up , this won't help with expansion or energy delivery, they almost act like solids.

One big different is the audible thump when both the projectiles hit. The Winchester is a much louder thump as it connects which to me indicates more energy delivered and better expansion , kill rates also back it up.
    u use those high velocity cci "pre fragmented" rounds whn not shooting subs.
    so recently i shot bunny in the chest, skinned it, gutted it and gave it to wifes workmate. he found lead just in front of the rear leg. a little lead can travel quite a way through flesh and do allot of damage.
    still happy with all cci ammo. i was happy with remington till i bought a semi then it was a cleaning exercise

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    u use those high velocity cci "pre fragmented" rounds whn not shooting subs.
    so recently i shot bunny in the chest, skinned it, gutted it and gave it to wifes workmate. he found lead just in front of the rear leg. a little lead can travel quite a way through flesh and do allot of damage.
    still happy with all cci ammo. i was happy with remington till i bought a semi then it was a cleaning exercise
    No only ever sub sonic ammo for the reason of lack of noise and keeping the rabbits un spooked. I work one farm in particular pretty hard so the more settled they are the better for return trips.
    A sub sonic round has a surprisingly effective amount of killing power on a rabbit well out past 100 mtrs.

Yeah I did try the pre fragmented stuff, mainly on possums , chest shooting at 20 mtrs was very effective, however the stuff was expensive and a sub will do the same job .

I'm quite a fan of the CCI Segmented subs. Mainly due to the lack of energy the fragments have after passing through an animal. Each petal of the bullet will have tumbled through the animal before exiting, doing a massive amount of damage, and dumping a lot of energy. Anything that does exit cannot damage the irrigation systems in the orchards I shoot.
    Paying the extra for bullets is infinitely cheaper than repairs on an irrigation system, and the possibility of being told not to come back.
    199p, viper, xtightg and 1 others like this.