Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Night shooting on private (rural) land: notifying District Police HQ

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    In my opinion I’d rather enable the boys in blue, or more specifically police comms to be able to respond intelligently to those occasional calls they receive from so called concerned citizens

If Police Comms can respond to said citizen with “yes we are aware there are pest control activities on a property about 2km away from you” it allows them to ensure police resources remain focussed on dealing with the real bad-guys, and not waste time and resources on a legal and legitimate use of firearms!

I do not imply or state any need for permission or suchlike from the Police; this is simply good community-focussed communication, and a responsible attitude to firearms use.
    +1

There is a lot of moaning about PNHQ, probably from the 'rank and file' as much as us. We need to bridge the gap between us (as a nation) and police. Police have generally had their best results when us has included them.
    Micky Duck and planenutz like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

How far did it go?
    Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    I took a black powder cannon up to Muriwai beach and told the cops I wanted to see how far the projectile would go (coke can full of concrete) they did the job number thing and no prob, i thought they would have told me to get stuffed as its a public road.
    Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam likes this.

that thin blue line is stretched fine enough as it is without unnecessary time wasted by following up reports on a legitamite activity.... a quick phone call could save all concerned a lot of grief.
    oneshot likes this.

I do the same in this day and age. Gone are the good old days
    As said above your then on record as being a responsible FAL user. You never know it could go in your favour further down the track.
    Having trouble here with a right anti so we give the HQ a call and I also put up signs on the footpaths "Don't be alarmed pest control in progress" Or "Don't be alarmed game bird hunting in progress"
    Funny I now now the person on reception by name. Last time she said oh you again, I'll expect a call from the other falla sometime soon!

Just goes to show you never know who's trying to ruin your fun. Be proactive be polite and always record video any hassles.
    That way you don't have the case of he's said she said which is just a cluster feck.
    Dundee, Micky Duck and planenutz like this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    I do the same in this day and age. Gone are the good old days
    As said above your then on record as being a responsible FAL user. You never know it could go in your favour further down the track.
    Having trouble here with a right anti so we give the HQ a call and I also put up signs on the footpaths "Don't be alarmed pest control in progress" Or "Don't be alarmed game bird hunting in progress"
    Funny I now now the person on reception by name. Last time she said oh you again, I'll expect a call from the other falla sometime soon!

Just goes to show you never know who's trying to ruin your fun. Be proactive be polite and always record video any hassles.
    That way you don't have the case of he's said she said which is just a cluster feck.
    wouldnt be a clogmuncher going under the moniker of"jackinthe box ",on the tard me message boards??? this one is real anti boys in blue but goes totally PMT laden scrub bull antisocial at anyone firing a shot within his hearing .easily googled -Id glue ya beer to ya table before you read of the antics thi s one has staged-otherwise the earthquake from your laughter could result in spilt beer .I kid you fucking not!

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    that thin blue line is stretched fine enough as it is without unnecessary time wasted by following up reports on a legitamite activity.... a quick phone call could save all concerned a lot of grief.
    They will still turn up to a report of gunshots because if it could be an actual shooting it wouldn't look good but it may stop a full blown AOS call out.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Where have you guys been shooting? Just getting into my tenth year and have shot around, west and north Auckland but mostly in Northland. Have never had the cops called on me / had them turn up.

SiB
    Southland and very rural for me

But poaching in nearby forestry has certainly increased the vigilance of our concerned citizens etc

I’ve been night shooting off and on for years, and never experienced a visit, callout or whatever- I simply see the better we communicate and present ourselves to PNHQ, and joe citizen and reasonable and rational firearms users, the less the ill-informed, narrow-minded or simply paranoid tinfoil hat brigade will be able to squawk their rhetoric.

I call it forward thinking!
    KiwiinSeattle likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    A farm manager I know was shooting rabbits with his son one evening and people on the nearby walkway called the police, who came out. Now they have signs to put up at each end of the walkway saying "Pest control in progress on adjoining property" or something like that whenever anyone goes shooting. The property already had a lot of rules like only suppressed 22s allowed to be used, shots fired only towards the centre of the farm, 2 person team minimum, etc.

back in the early 80's a friend mine and myself flew a "V1" pulsejet off muriwai beach, to say it was f...ing loud was an understatement, it sounded like a minigun on steroids. no police arrived. a few witnesses to say it wasnt a firearm though
    csmiffy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    back in the early 80's a friend mine and myself flew a "V1" pulsejet off muriwai beach, to say it was f...ing loud was an understatement, it sounded like a minigun on steroids. no police arrived. a few witnesses to say it wasnt a firearm though
    geez I know we don't always get on with aussie but trying to take out Sydney with a V1 is a bit much isn't it? lol

not sydney but god help those illegal fishing boats

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    ... goes totally PMT laden scrub bull antisocial...
    Hahaha! Awesome. I really need to remember that line....