Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Advice on handling meat after the kill

My go to is multiple of 40 degrees - hang it for two days at 20 degrees C or eight days at 5 degrees C etc skin on.

Get it into a chiller and that multiple slightly changes - my chiller is an old coke fridge and I'll hang venison for up to three weeks, skin-on at 2 degrees C. Vensison has never tasted better
    Was BINGO the name of the farmer or the dog?

Found some "official" info from MPI on wild meat prep when I was looking into how to do this. Obviously taking the ultra-careful approach some interesting advice.

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/dmsdocument/1059/direct

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OneStep View Post
    Found some "official" info from MPI on wild meat prep when I was looking into how to do this. Obviously taking the ultra-careful approach some interesting advice.

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/dmsdocument/1059/direct
    I disagree with the MPI gutting method, reaching up and cutting the windpipe inside the animal is a mistake if you want a really clean job. Better to open the neck, release the WP, tie it off and free it
    Trout, hackmeat, tamamutu and 1 others like this.

Hi , as a lot of others have said keep your meat as clean and dry as you can , i use pillow cases (not the good ones) and bone straight into them if i can .if its raining either quarter and get in your pack or carry out whole . DONT put in plastic bags while warm as will make your meat go off real fast i wont bag it till its going in the freezer. if your going to hang it whole open up the joints as that's where it will go off fastest . try not to poke/stab the meat as you are cutting it as bacteria love moist holes. keep you knife clean as you can don't poke it into the ground/trees etc. hanging wise depends on the day sometimes might be 2-3days others might be 2weeks . if you think its past it give it to the mother in law.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    dyslexics of the world untie