Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Area Contamination

I have watched two sets of spooked hind quarters crashing away through the bush without enough showing to identify for a safe or ethical shot, turned 90 degrees to the right to see a yearling crest a drop away at about 15-20 yds, had to let that one go due to a hut somewhere in the background on the opposite side of the valley. Walked another 3-4 minutes in the direction that the first two scarpered towards and spooked another one that was bedded down on the ground. No excuse for letting that one get away other than that it was the last thing I was expecting at that point.

The above scenario doesn’t happen every time but I know through experience that it can happen.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Have shot Sika feeding early morning right next to their mate who's draped over a tussock to cool down from last night's foray.
    Cool, I've never heard of anyone using decoys for deer before!
    Micky Duck and XR500 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Allgood View Post
    Doing patrols in Woodhill during the ballot for many years taught me a lot of things about deer and Fallow especially. After checking hunters into a block we would find a high point and sit and observe hunters. Many times we would see hunters stalking through the pines in the vicinity of deer.....As the hunters got closer, the deer would move to one side, wait for the hunters to pass and then move straight in behind them to resume feeding, sometimes within throwing distance.
    Deer are creatures of habit and even if spooked, will return to an area relatively quickly, sometimes within minutes.
    I've determined that fallow will do a circle and go straight back to a feeding spot if they have decided theres good tucker there. Have seen deer out in the open a couple times now, they'll spook off into the bush/forestry as I approach, unleash the sniffer hound and he will do a big lap around and an hour later we are approaching same spot and same deer are back out on it again!
    Micky Duck likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Have read that human scent is burnt/volatilised by UG light. And that about hours of exposure will remove scent from an area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk