Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Aussies and Wapiti

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Its not a dig at Aussies but i would like to see all foreigners paying a hunting fee here and also paying double or triple for a trout license. That's what all these private estates/hunting parks were set up for ??
    Like $500 for ten days hunting all animals recorded and money goes to a new game animal foundation. $500 was just a figure
    Non Resident fishers do pay a surcharge on their licence to F&G. The funds are (supposedly) ring fenced for habitat enhancement. Surprising how quickly it adds up.

Big Bear, i don’t take it as a dig but purely perspective from a non Kiwi who hunts NZ a bit as a foreigner and has also lived there as well.

Personally I think most aussies would be had to buy a non residents license to hunt doc lands. I’d happily pay it.
    Rees and bigbear like this.

Banned
    The other way of looking at foreign hunters is that it is part of tourism and brings in foreign exchange. If trophy hunting for Tahr had not been stopped by Covid this year it would have been difficult for the Govt to cull so heavily. Difficult for a Govt to destroy a multi million dollar industry while it is fully operating.
    The issue with the Fiordland waps could be solved by limiting the number of tags available to non residents. As it is, our ballot could be swamped by overseas hunters.
    outdoorlad and chainsaw like this.

It took a lifetime before fish and game finally got their shit semi-together and started charging a non resident's trout license after years of crying it was too hard and it's still only $169, not nearly enough. A non resident's hunting permit for NZ DOC land is a no-brainer and it should be $500 as a minimum.
    Steve123, Micky Duck and bigbear like this.

I reckon wapiti & Tahr ballots should be for Nz residents only , if Nz guides apply for a ballot & get a block they could then guide that block & take foreign hunters out , so win win , I’d be far happier about the situation knowing that kiwis come first & are not in direct competition against people that do not even live in this country & come here on budget self guided trips in the roar or rut , yes they have to pay for air fares & possibly some accommodation etc but too bad , better off having high value tourists than budget ones , If our elected officials had half a brain they would make guiding mandatory all year round .
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Personally I'd like to see the new 4th period gone before over seas hunters, (both would be good gone however) Its probably an unpopular opinion, but I can see the reasons why the fwf added the extra period

I think foreign hunters should only be able to come if they bring koha
    And i don't mean money
    I mean some of the awesome firearms that we can see and not touch
    Things that would otherwise cost too much for import from USA, Europe and Australia

The whole legal gun running system has ground to a halt
    Not that it was very easy before C19

its an interesting post you put forth here , interesting to only see Dicko jump in on it from an Aussies perspective.

I personally, understand the job FWF do and agree with many points regarding this upcoming or next season regarding the covid stuff.. that should be a no brainer lol.

The thing is I agree the kiwis should have first jab at it but there has to be some allocation to spaces for Your internationals and Aussie bastards for an Extra cost for sure, that makes sense, even if it is an "international hunters tariff" per say in that $500 bracket.. boom bonus straightto FWF for allowing some- internationals in on the Game. an what a big game its tunring out to be. ....

Australias Sambar hunting is on a down ward spiral pretty quickly this remainder of the year , everyone ive spoke to has Tahr in their sights but perhaps isnt as aware as I of their situation also, as the Cull hasnt been publisiced in AU much at all on a broad scale.... So yer tahr ballots will be heavily Aussie influenced without any doubt next year.

The Red stags are overlooked but will not be from now on for a while, The cost to do a week or two in NZ is worth the experience alone as opposed to effort an cost travelling into remote victorian country which is being heavily culled at present... So the roar out of Ballot will be slightly busier with Aussies but not immediately.

The Waps, well if FWF keep up the great work, You wont see more Aussies in a Ballot but You will see more aussies in te Anua in February with their Thermals and 338laps.. unfortunatly.

many of the better heads may be taken prior to the Ballot blocks and that a tough one to draw a line on.

personal ethics come into it.

Im not rushing into Wap country i tell ya, for an Aussie its inviting fromthe reports but the Reality of spending 10 days in Southland alone is hardcore, let alone a mongrel 10 days hunting jungles..

anyway, following the thread..... no name callin you kiwi buggers alright...

catch yas soon
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    Yep the February thermal hunting is the problem for Waps.
    How do we prevent that ?
    The other problem is how to stop the really good breeders being shot.Name:  IMG_1787.JPG
Views: 179
Size:  1.84 MBName:  elk 001.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  2.29 MB

I thought FWF had banned people from hunting prior to the ballot?

I think the Wap & Tahr Ballot’s should have a limited number of spots for foreign hunters (add the Milford track as well) and they pay a premium, say double what we have to.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Banned
    Sorry about the Bison photo I got the wrong file, had a phone call while I was posting and now I cant change it.
    Trying to upload a series of photos on the young elk bull which is descended from Fiordland animalsName:  IMG_2202.JPG
Views: 233
Size:  1.90 MB
    Still having upload problems, anyway the bull on the right of the photo is the same bull as the 2yr old in the prior post. Genetics are 1/3rd Fiordland blood.
    A big Fiordland bull that has got everything should not be shot. He should be saved as a breeder
    Last edited by Moa Hunter; 05-10-2020 at 09:21 AM.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Its not just the wap blocks we should be worried about, As i said i think there needs to be a new game animal foundation set up. The permit money goes them and they run the whole permit system on all doc land and manage all game animals. All 1080 programs and culls will need to go through the foundation with 18month notice just stay
    The only thing i will say is once NZers start paying is the price will only keep going up. It might start at stay $100 season license for 12months but next minute it will be a $1000 and it will become a rich mans sport
    Just my thoughts

I’d be happy to pay for a general permit PROVIDED we get a good say in matters, we already pay for ballots and Yes the Game Animal Council should take over the running of the permits, ballots.
    stagstalker likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Moa- the Stag Culture is solid down under and thats taking some effort to ackowledge this fact, without acknowledgment then they are none the wiser to the detrimental issues cause by just head hunting and particularly the amount of hunters down under outweighs the 'back log' of breeding stock thats pushing through, combined this with not only spotlighting, now thermalling in high country and " the great deer cull" , it really is a 10 year project for Hunters to do "right" by the herd as of yesterday, but with current mentalitys its only going to cause more issues or potentially to a point where the stag or deeer 'dry up' to the point it is no longer fun an worth it to drive around the high country in hopes of killen stags, or it isnt now worth walking 10k out ridges to thermal a heavily hammered herd by Fire an Cull.... then this period gives the deer a chance, less hunters less pressure and parks vic think they got them all...... hunters now genuinely interested dont shoot Spikes. Dont shoot little Stags. shoot does for meat but dont blow em away, which prior to the fires i was advocating to BLOW DOES to save the herd..... well the fire "saved" the herd, an then the Culls are happening. long story there.

HOW DO YA STOP aussies and Thermals..... whos policing it? is it a FWF "code of cunduct in the name of fair chase" that prior to leaving the Take off area a FWF "official goes through peoples Gear? honesty system doesnt work lol. event the biggest name blokes in AU , use thermals but wont publically mention it... why would they for Waps..even bigger prize.

PRIOR to the roar.... fuuuck, how do ya stop that? stop it for one , stop it for all?... descrimination between a new zealander and an australian , that could get messy...

FWF promote more Social Media posts to educate the younger or internationals on how much work an ephasis goes into the bulls for the bugle and emphasis how this practise of pre roar strippers is detrimental to the hard work of 20 years FWF etc.... its all good an well on a podcast hidden in a facebook page, but everyones on social media, alot of people type this into youtube "fiordland wapiti hunting" use these tags to express Videos that educate the cunts on whats goin on inside firodland an that it isnt a wild aussie sambar cull.... theres a very specific situation goin on here. have the big wigs express this, Gibson, Duley, Red stag timber gang, get Howie on board, Cam Speedy needs his own PR dude to just have him talk the shit and not have to personally preech it across the internet, someone else should be doin that inside of Sika foundation to get word out. whats to lose? lots to gain.

oh fuck, where do ya start....
    Moa Hunter likes this.

to touch on the stag culture here, its not velvet stags like you blokes, its just hard antler.. kill em.

velvet killin of stags is hugely detrimental to a herd, look at the southern alps an you will note. its been 1960s since You guys have seen more than a odd beast here or there... looking back there was a bloody lotta deer but wayyy to many hinds, an still to this day "hind get left" an "velvet stags get smoked" ... ooo k.

i wanted to touch on something elseeee but i forgot... "heavy fines" for hunting in areas 'closed' , close the fiordland hunting area jan feb?
    here no penalty for poaching , an when caught often easy easy enough to geto ff with a play dumb card.. no deterrance.

OR on the other side of the arguement, theres an aussie fella bangin on about the future of the thermals and how bad it is to fair chase hunting, calling it day light spotlighting.., i get this 100% , but its 2020, the tehcnology is over taking the oppertunities as they arnt expanding... its interesting... So do ya call Thermals fair game? everyone can have one , if ya can afford it.. if ya can afford it, well , we've seen the calibre of stags in NZ "if ya can afford" it, so what the difference? kettle of fish that one..

Yeah so i rememebered, this coming few years is going to be a huge eye opener for aussies with the fire n cull situations, goin forward if there is much oppertunity left

Your nz herds seen a smashing back then an its never been the same since, except fiordland getting there but as mentioned, alot of sweet bulls must be gettin killed an not heard about... thats been goin on since the 50s
    Moa Hunter likes this.