Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Choppers shooting during roar peroid.

H.M

Choppers shooting during roar period!!

Couple mates have just reported a chopper shooting deer in an Otago doc block in same gully they are hunting. Stags roaring also, so has really fucked there trip. Why do they do this at this time of year?!?
    Last edited by H.M; 17-03-2022 at 09:04 AM.

Got to remember it's their job/income and recreational hunters are a hassle to them. There are specific dates they cannot hunt doc land during the roar period though. It's a bit crap no matter which way you look at it.
    By the way Doc want to change the no WARO time frame to 29th March till 15th April by memory.

H.M
    Its just shit they have video of them pretty much flying over top of them and dropping into gully and few hundred metres below them and shooting. They would have seen the boys there for sure. Its Alpine Helicopters. I understand making a living but not at this time of year when hunters are in the hills. Health and safety must come into this too. Just poor form from them yet again!
    Moa Hunter, BSA270, Stocky and 1 others like this.

H.M
    For anyone thinking they are well before the roar, stags roar early in there, now until end of the month is prime. Its a massive block, i am sure they would have seen the orange tent and could have gone elsewhere. Just a shame.
    BSA270 likes this.

How does health and safety come into this?

H.M
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat ninja View Post
    I am unsure if you have been in the situation where a chopper is shooting the same block/catchment as you, Its pretty un nerving trust me, when they apparently do not know you are there.

HOO
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat ninja View Post
    It’s also their (choppers) workplace so I would imagine there is significant H&S requirements to abide by although I have no idea what those might be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H.M
    Quote Originally Posted by HOO View Post
    It’s also their (choppers) workplace so I would imagine there is significant H&S requirements to abide by although I have no idea what those might be

Some sort of public notice of the area and date they are going to be shooting at least you would think, maybe they did this i am not sure i am not saying they didn't. Is there somewhere they do say where and what they are doing? Or is this up to doc to let people know?
    caberslash and CBH Australia like this.

Yeah be hard for them to ensure there firing line is safe from a chopper, for all they know a ground hunter/tramper could be behind the deer. Seems like an accident waiting to happen to me

HOO
    Quote Originally Posted by H.M View Post
    Some sort of public notice of the area and date they are going to be shooting at least you would think, maybe they did this i am not sure i am not saying they didn't. Is there somewhere they do say where and what they are doing? Or is this up to doc to let people know?
    Yeah I’m really not sure. I have a lot to do with the H&S for the electrical company I work for and there is a hell of a lot of hoops to jump through so I suspect adding in a helicopter and some firearms and that would add to the paperwork significantly

Moa Hunter and BSA270 like this.

Yes very annoying when that happens, I was stalking some flats years ago just on day break when a chopper shot a couple deer 100m from me.
    https://youtu.be/2bv5zpgVmgE

If your mates are concerned about the safety of it they could complain to DOC but history says nothing will happen…..
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

H.M
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    Yes very annoying when that happens, I was stalking some flats years ago just on day break when a chopper shot a couple deer 100m from me.
    https://youtu.be/2bv5zpgVmgE

If your mates are concerned about the safety of it they could complain to DOC but history says nothing will happen…..
    Yep has happened many times when tahr hunting. But as you say nothing happens, they are just getting in there before there cut of period for the roar. But its a shame they have to pick a spot where stags roar early and gets a lot of foot traffic. They are also very close to private land but that may be totally legit too. Just very frustrating as you say.

Quote Originally Posted by H.M View Post
    Weather and season dictate where to hunt, too dynamic for public notice.

Moralities aside, have they operated outside of their concession?
    I get you’re venting, but you’re frustration should be aimed at DOC rather than the operator.
    DOC are inviting submissions currently on WARO.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Yeah be hard for them to ensure there firing line is safe from a chopper, for all they know a ground hunter/tramper could be behind the deer. Seems like an accident waiting to happen to me
    Don’t recall any legitimate near misses in the last 60 years aerial recovery has been undertaken.
    Not saying it’s never happened, just that if it was a genuine issue it would have presented by now.
    7mmwsm and BSA270 like this.

I can see it now

Private hunters banned from DOC land due to rising concerns from WARO operators.
    Pengy, Moutere, BSA270 and 2 others like this.

I can see it now…Hunter found halfway out in the Tasman with two bullet holes in him
    40mm likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.