Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Choppers shooting during roar peroid.

Ned
    DOC have all the data they need don't they? If you tick the areas you might hunt during the hunting permit period then they just need to email that list when they get notified by WARO operators of planned operational days. Not hard. I know it doesn't cover the immediate frustration but it would go someway towards covering HnS and might save wasted time heading into a block if you get pinged that WARO could be in there the same time.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ned View Post
    DOC have all the data they need don't they? If you tick the areas you might hunt during the hunting permit period then they just need to email that list when they get notified by WARO operators of planned operational days. Not hard. I know it doesn't cover the immediate frustration but it would go someway towards covering HnS and might save wasted time heading into a block if you get pinged that WARO could be in there the same time.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
    Might work for those that have permits, but how many bother?

H.M
    [QUOTE=Moutere;1292702]Weather and season dictate where to hunt, too dynamic for public notice.

Moralities aside, have they operated outside of their concession?
    I get you’re venting, but you’re frustration should be aimed at DOC rather than the operator.

But surely the operator has some responsibility to check over the area for foot hunters first, or at least try.? Before they start blasting. Easily done i would have thought in open country like this, not so much in thicker areas i guess.

Jeez, you guys have it sweet down South, deer roaring in March, walk in, deer roaring in gully open enough for helicopters to operate (I guess they retrieve as well), 2 weeks in the South and then move North for another roar.

Are you sure they were shooting deer?
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

gmm
    I had the same thing happen to me, was walking up a river system and found that a chopper had been shooting the head waters we were heading for, they were flying out the animals and flew right over top of us, I think they made a point of it. We watched them ferry out 18 deer. Yep was pissed off at the time and had to move blocks, but in hind sight I thought it was actually it would have been quite funny to be the pilot. We often laugh about it now as we would have looked like 3 grumpy trolls stomping back down the river. The next guys up the river would have had to have been careful not to trip over our dummies as we spat them out big time.
    End of the day, its their income and how they pay the bills and I would always support the chopper over the green rain, any day.
    Sideshow, BSA270 and Ben Waimata like this.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    Yes very annoying when that happens, I was stalking some flats years ago just on day break when a chopper shot a couple deer 100m from me.
    https://youtu.be/2bv5zpgVmgE

If your mates are concerned about the safety of it they could complain to DOC but history says nothing will happen…..
    Report it to CAA and WorkSafe as an incident if it was a close call. There is give and take in the outdoor pursuits, but this seems like a fatality waiting to happen.
    Moa Hunter, BSA270 and 40mm like this.

H.M
    Quote Originally Posted by gmm View Post
    I had the same thing happen to me, was walking up a river system and found that a chopper had been shooting the head waters we were heading for, they were flying out the animals and flew right over top of us, I think they made a point of it. We watched them ferry out 18 deer. Yep was pissed off at the time and had to move blocks, but in hind sight I thought it was actually it would have been quite funny to be the pilot. We often laugh about it now as we would have looked like 3 grumpy trolls stomping back down the river. The next guys up the river would have had to have been careful not to trip over our dummies as we spat them out big time.
    End of the day, its their income and how they pay the bills and I would always support the chopper over the green rain, any day.
    Haha yep if you can laugh about it at the end of the day thats the main thing. Yeah its there income for sure, i just think it should be gone about a different way at this time of year. Some of us can only get out for 1 big trip a year, done some hard yards in there before so i know how they be feeling. Never mind shit happens.
    JessicaChen and BSA270 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    Weather and season dictate where to hunt, too dynamic for public notice.

I get you’re venting, but you’re frustration should be aimed at DOC rather than the operator.
    DOC are inviting submissions currently on WARO.

Don’t recall any legitimate near misses in the last 60 years aerial recovery has been undertaken.
    Not saying it’s never happened, just that if it was a genuine issue it would have presented by now.
    If it can happen, it will happen.
    The numbers of people out there hunting must be on the rise, and likewise the chopper operators.
    Surely the slim chances of an airborne shooter sending a shot into a dangerous direction can only be increasing.
    One day, it will be in the headlines I am sure. Just how soon?
    Gibo and Moa Hunter like this.
    Use enough gun

Commercial WARO is very much a dying thing and will be replaced by search and destroy along with ever increasing regulation and therefore also cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    Weather and season dictate where to hunt, too dynamic for public notice.

DOC are inviting submissions currently on WARO.

Don’t recall any legitimate near misses in the last 60 years aerial recovery has been undertaken.
    Not saying it’s never happened, just that if it was a genuine issue it would have presented by now.
    Not in NZ but of there is someone identified on the ground it would be at least polite to get the hell away from them. Being they are underpower.
    A vessel under power gives way to a vessel under sail.

Choppers shoot directly down at short range but they sure as hell would not want hunters firing in their vicinity.
    40mm likes this.

I am unsure if you have been in the situation where a chopper is shooting the same block/catchment as you, Its pretty un nerving trust me, when they apparently do not know you are there.

Spent time in the shooters seat and had hunts ruined by choppers

Only some ballot blocks are restricted to WARO during roar period. Ballot periods haven't started yet.
    If Alpine were operating within their concession area and rules, they've done nothing wrong. Unfortunately it's one of those public land risks we take, but WARO is a necessary evil. It's better than search and destroy operations.
    Chances are they didn't see your mates, people can be very hard to see from a helicopter when they're standing on the hill, even at close range.
    If they did see them, bit shitty they didn't bugger off over the hill, but not really surprised if that was the case.
    7mmwsm, Sideshow, BSA270 and 2 others like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    If it can happen, it will happen.
    The numbers of people out there hunting must be on the rise, and likewise the chopper operators.
    Surely the slim chances of an airborne shooter sending a shot into a dangerous direction can only be increasing.
    One day, it will be in the headlines I am sure. Just how soon?
    More chance of being shot by a fellow hunter, happens nearly every year and they still allow it, so your point is surely moot.

Check the conditions of concession for WARO in that area
    Many areas of PCL have closures from 20 March for a few weeks
    I expect you were in there before any Roar closure to WARO would begin.
    and there may not be a Roar closure at all
    simplest way is to ring DOC office (regional office) and ask if closures actually exist for the Roar
    or if you have the concession conditions for the various PCL , check that