Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Mathias
  • 1 Post By 223nut
  • 1 Post By dannyb
  • 1 Post By 223nut

Thread: Clarence Rafting tips

Clarence Rafting tips

I'm thinking of rafting the Clarence when I'm in the South Island for Christmas. We are ideally planning to do a week long mission. Our raft is an Incept WS33 - basically the smallest decent raft they make. It's good for 2-3 guys doing expedition type trips, ideally in grade 1-2, maybe 3.

Have any of you Forum folks done the trip? I'm keen to understand:
    *the best place to put in
    *the best place to pull out, where we can park a car nearby
    *how we find out what is DOC land on the way down, versus private?
    *what's the fishing like, if any?
    *critters - how target rich is the environment?
    *how 'big' is the water?

If anyone has done this trip, I would love to talk and get some tips.

Cheers
    H&R

Haven't don't the trip itself but if you look around there are a few commercial operators so you could plan on capsizes the same as theirs. They put in at the archeron confluence, through hanmer spring over jacks pass turn right go till the end.. (not Blenheim though) 30-45mins from hanmer. Pull out it just above state highway one.have a look at the doc website for where hunting is allowed, most of river left is in molesworth so you would need to book the blocks. River right is clearance reserve so open hunting block. Download the nz topo 50 (less then $5) shows all the boundaries and can use gps from phone. Fishing, no idea but there are fish in there.... Goats, pigs deer and chamoi, numbers will be down since the 1080 drop.... Seen photos of grade 3-4

Bos
    Thats pretty much right. Acheron confluence is the best place to launch with the first night in the Palmer hut. The Bullen gorge can be "interesting" in a raft. Second night somewhere around Goose flat, and the 3rd night at the Jam.
    You'd want to make sure the river's not to low or you'll end up doin a lot of dragging. Should see a pig or deer if you know where and when to look. Definitely take a fishing rod. Bear in mind that there'll be plenty of others on the river around that time Id imagine.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Pretty sure Josh James did this trip, will be a you tube of it somewhere if I'm correct.
    Lukeduncan likes this.

There is no shortage of targets up the Clarence mate. Can't remember the name of the rapid but there is one the rafting companies make you walk around guiding your raft. Not pretty to raft down.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by McNotty View Post
    There is no shortage of targets up the Clarence mate. Can't remember the name of the rapid but there is one the rafting companies make you walk around guiding your raft. Not pretty to raft down.
    Sounds like the one known as The Jawbreaker.

Done it, mean trip, rafted all rapids, even had a German controlling the raft the whole way down so can't he that bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Anyone wanting to do it over winter..... Really keen to paddle but would need a raft for camping gear
    dannyb likes this.

Done it in truck tubes .
    Should still be some flow at Christmas, you will need to watch the forecast closely leading up, rain in the headwaters will be exciting in a little raft, have a spare day or 2 if you need to wait weather out. Check DOC for what land is huntable plenty isn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Anyone wanting to do it over winter..... Really keen to paddle but would need a raft for camping gear
    I'd be keen mate could organise a few crew members too if ya want
    223nut likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I'd be keen mate could organise a few crew members too if ya want
    Right planning for next winter, don't think I've planned that far ahead?! Organise details at the Toby shoot?
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Right planning for next winter, don't think I've planned that far ahead?! Organise details at the Toby shoot?
    I'm keen to go to the Toby shoot but cannot commit yet still waiting on confirmation for wife's practicum dates. I may get a last minute entry