Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Glassing tips

Glassing tips

Hi there just would like to ask any hints or tips on glassing!
    Whenever im glassing open country, untill i see an animal im never sure what size thing im looking for! As silly as it sounds what are your guys tips on using other objects for scale? This is especially for longer distances.
    Cheers Lucas
    sako75 likes this.

I have the same problem.

I have found glassing from right to left works better then left to right, seem to go slower and see more detail.
    lucas likes this.

I look for color not shape or size, deer stand out like dogs balls with their red coat, especially if the sun is shining off them, its the first thing that always catches my attention.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Always glass the skyline first and keep flicking back to it for a look,animals,people stick out like dogs balls on the skyline.
    Once something is seen there you often notice others around it but not on the skyline that you didn't see before.
    Hot look in shade,cold look in sun,windy look in shelter.
    Look everywhere but concentrate on those bits in those conditions.
    morning and evening is best,middel of day you are mostly looking for something bedded down which depending on the terrain can be hard to impossible.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

J.T
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I look for color not shape or size, deer stand out like dogs balls with their red coat, especially if the sun is shining off them, its the first thing that always catches my attention.
    So what do you look for when there sitting down in the shade? what if hes looking for Fallow,
    Think of these things when glassing as they might help Shape size shine Silloette Sign movement and like 199p said look in the opposite direction you read as it is less familier for your eyes so you will see things in a different way.

Jase

it always amazes me how they can appear like ghosts, an animal can be in the spot you just glassed seconds earlier.
    Gibo likes this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by J.T View Post
    So what do you look for when there sitting down in the shade? what if hes looking for Fallow,
    Think of these things when glassing as they might help Shape size shine Silloette Sign movement and like 199p said look in the opposite direction you read as it is less familier for your eyes so you will see things in a different way.

Jase
    I still look for color, seen hundreds if not thousands of fallow over the years, in the shade the red or tan, white, grey, whatever the case may be, it still stands out to me in an obvious way, its just what I have always trained my eyes to notice I guess.
    veitnamcam and 260hunter like this.

Thanks everyone, this has been a great help already!

J.T
    Banned
    Good luck fulla,once you start seeing animals it will all make sense to you.one other tip that could help mate is when you do spot one keep scanning around were it is looking for other animals especially if there are other clearing's close by as if ones out there kin will be out too, look at the grass or bushes for wind sign to help you shoot or stalk it aswell.

Jase

R93
    You have to ask yourself why things are seen.
    Think about size, shape, surface, spacing, shadow (both cast and contained)

Break your ground up into likely areas where your quarry will be.
    Scan right to left if you want to slow down as it is opposite to the way we read.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    lucas likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

@7mmsaum has a bloody good set of eyes!

I noticed he stopped often to look around. About 99% more then I did and he was the one who found the deers so I've learnt I need to stop 99% more than I currently do haha
    veitnamcam, username, Gibo and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lucas View Post
    Hi there just would like to ask any hints or tips on glassing!
    Whenever im glassing open country, untill i see an animal im never sure what size thing im looking for! As silly as it sounds what are your guys tips on using other objects for scale? This is especially for longer distances.
    Cheers Lucas
    Good question

Trying my luck on sika at the end if tge month anyone have any tips fir glassing them in comparison to reds/fallow?

Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    Trying my luck on sika at the end if tge month anyone have any tips fir glassing them in comparison to reds/fallow?
    Look anywhere there is Tute. Like, here:

You can see their summer coat colour at the bottom of the shingle (a deaded one)

And there’s one by the tree here. Evening, glass around these sorts of fringes:

Last edited by Tahr; 20-11-2014 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    @7mmsaum has a bloody good set of eyes!

I noticed he stopped often to look around. About 99% more then I did and he was the one who found the deers so I've learnt I need to stop 99% more than I currently do haha
    +1 on that!! Took me a while to see them even when I was looking at them
    Toby likes this.