Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Glassing tips

Nice photos, thats what I mean about color, their coats make them stand out like becons compared to everything else.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    +1 on that!! Took me a while to see them even when I was looking at them
    It's all practice, and obviously the more animals you see the easier it is. The more you use your binos the more animals you will see too. I am constantly looking for animals day to day, it's a habit, and I find that I'll pick them up pretty easily and much quicker than most other people I hunt with. I'm not sure exactly why, the only thing I can think of is the amount of animals I see while out and about provides good practice. But I am constantly looking.

Learn to identify the key spots the target animals like to be, clearings, bush edges, bluff systems, creek heads etc., and check them out more intensively rather than just quickly run the binos over them. Looks for parts of animals too, not "whole" animals, as sometimes they'll be hiding behind a bush, tree or rock. When hunting in the tops, always check the ridges and skylines first, and regularly after that. Often animals may be bedded down just off the top if a ridge only to stand up after you've looked it over. You'll spot animals on a ridge from literally miles away...vice versa for you too...when hunting keep off the ridge lines! It's amazing how many hunters don't think of that.

Movement is a big thing to, especially hunting chamois and tahr. Often in an alpine environment, especially during the changes of the seasons they can be almost invisible until they move. This is why glassing with good binos is so important, you need plenty of time behind the binos to allow the animals to make their move, or just become visible. But remember the same applies to you, find a good vantage spot at peak times of the day and glass lots. If you're not moving about the animals are less likely to see you and are more likely to move about into the open.
    veitnamcam, 199p, mick and 3 others like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    It's all practice, and obviously the more animals you see the easier it is. The more you use your binos the more animals you will see too. I am constantly looking for animals day to day, it's a habit, and I find that I'll pick them up pretty easily and much quicker than most other people I hunt with. I'm not sure exactly why, the only thing I can think of is the amount of animals I see while out and about provides good practice. But I am constantly looking.

Learn to identify the key spots the target animals like to be, clearings, bush edges, bluff systems, creek heads etc., and check them out more intensively rather than just quickly run the binos over them. Looks for parts of animals too, not "whole" animals, as sometimes they'll be hiding behind a bush, tree or rock. When hunting in the tops, always check the ridges and skylines first, and regularly after that. Often animals may be bedded down just off the top if a ridge only to stand up after you've looked it over. You'll spot animals on a ridge from literally miles away...vice versa for you too...when hunting keep off the ridge lines! It's amazing how many hunters don't think of that.

Movement is a big thing to, especially hunting chamois and tahr. Often in an alpine environment, especially during the changes of the seasons they can be almost invisible until they move. This is why glassing with good binos is so important, you need plenty of time behind the binos to allow the animals to make their move, or just become visible. But remember the same applies to you, find a good vantage spot at peak times of the day and glass lots. If you're not moving about the animals are less likely to see you and are more likely to move about into the open.
    Cheers Josh.
    Will need to take to the Kaimais and Pap hills with a saw so I can use my bino's more

Cheers Josh.
    Will need to take to the Kaimais and Pap hills with a saw so I can use my bino's more
    Plenty of hunter cut little look outs. I'm always coming across them. Don't like them much myself. There's enough hacking away of the bush going on as it is. But I'm fine about using other people's spots.

To have a good glass around you often need to get off the main ridge and slip down to a little benck or side spur. Lay back on your pack or in the tussock and get yourself comfortable. Control your breathing, too. Concentrate.

If you are on a side spur you can pop from side to side and double your chances of seeing something. Keep your profile down while you do this. Not only be strategic about where you look, but aslo about where you look from.

Once you know what you are looking for through your binos, and get good at it, you will find that you start seeing more and more with just the naked eye.

When I sit down for a glass I often take some ranges to the most likely spots, and will sometimes actually set my rifle up for a shot.

Don't get too excited about upgarding to Swarvos. Good average binos will do the job until you get good at it.
    Boulderman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Plenty of hunter cut little look outs. I'm always coming across them. Don't like them much myself. There's enough hacking away of the bush going on as it is. But I'm fine about using other people's spots.

To have a good glass around you often need to get off the main ridge and slip down to a little benck or side spur. Lay back on your pack or in the tussock and get yourself comfortable. Control your breathing, too. Concentrate.

If you are on a side spur you can pop from side to side and double your chances of seeing something. Keep your profile down while you do this. Not only be strategic about where you look, but aslo about where you look from.

Once you know what you are looking for through your binos, and get good at it, you will find that you start seeing more and more with just the naked eye.

When I sit down for a glass I often take some ranges to the most likely spots, and will sometimes actually set my rifle up for a shot.

Don't get too excited about upgarding to Swarvos. Good average binos will do the job until you get good at it.
    Cheers Thar. I was joking about the saw. I have a few good spots where I can see past 10m My biggest problem is after hunting bush so much I find it hard to sit still Whats over there is the common question to myself. I have some Leupold Mojave's which are a good mid range bino.

I shot a good sized Fallow buck down south that was smashing its antlers in some bushes, from where I was the antlers like Toitoi flowers waving around in the wind because of the antler color, what gave it away was there was no Toitoi anywhere else, bino inspection showed a large set of Buck antlers poking up, thats all I could see of him. Sometimes its the little things that make you think "something aint right with that picture"
    Scouser and Gibo like this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Cheers Tahr. I was joking about the saw. I have a few good spots where I can see past 10m My biggest problem is after hunting bush so much I find it hard to sit still Whats over there is the common question to myself. I have some Leupold Mojave's which are a good mid range bino.
    Spelt that wrong

When glassing I tend to check out spots close first then work my way out then when I have covered all ground then I start a bit of a pattern so I cover all areas regularly looking for coulor, movement, and out of place solid shapes and things

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Cheers Josh.
    Don't bother glassing Gibo. Drink it from the bottle. Go the mighty king of beers WAIKATO. Damn I can slip a reference to WAIKATO into any thread. What a resilient and flexible beer it is. Ha ha ha ha
    Gibo and Boulderman like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Damn I can slip a reference to WAIKATO into any thread. What a GAY and FEMININE beer it is. Ha ha ha ha
    Fixed😆

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    sako75, Dundee, gadgetman and 3 others like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Fixed��

I would hold your tongue if I was you, Rushy and I have already discussed when we are paying you a visit!! You WILL be converted all be it for an evening

The one thing i have learnt (thanks Craigc and more so Tahr) is you gott sit on ya arse for a bit, glass and glass and glass. My method is to check all obvoius spots first and when nothing presents i start looking under the bushes, even trying to find little holes in the bush they may be tucked up in to get sun, sometime they are right there but tucked up. On the weekend for instance, we got to a look out at say 4, glassed for 30mins and nothing, i got bored and went for a quick wonder, can back 20 mins later, still nothing, nek minute a spiker out. I mentioned to my hunting buddy there will be more, none seen, nek minute a hind pops out. Watched them for an hour on this slip then decided to fill the freezer, as oneshot says they are like ghosts. they may even be sitting behind a bush or whatever in the middle of the slip the whole time, also little knobs on the spurs can have an animal standing there surveying the area or getting last of sun etc

Still learning though

Hamish
    Scouser, Boulderman and lucas like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Yes Hamish. That's the thing. You are looking for everything. Asnd as you see less, you gotta look for more.
    I remember many years ago, Cooch said to me "I can see one". "Where", I sad. "In the leatherwood up that gutter, I saw an ear flick".
    That's all he saw.. It was maybe 500 yards away.
    Matt2308, Scouser and Gibo like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Fixed��

Ha ha ha ha smart arse. Well played
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

is this turning in to another thread about Shitty Waikato
    OPCz

If in doubt double tap