Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree28Likes
  • 10 Post By Missalot
  • 2 Post By Tahr
  • 6 Post By Husky1600#2
  • 1 Post By Remmodel7
  • 1 Post By Eat Meater
  • 5 Post By Tahr
  • 3 Post By T.T

Thread: The first deer I didn’t shoot…

The first deer I didn’t shoot…

Gidday fellas,

An odd thing happened last night.. out hunting on some private land, plenty of deer about and always good for the freezer. I’ve never seen any decent bucks about on the place across dozens of missions on that property, but last night I saw an absolute thumper - pretty comfortably the best fallow head I’ve seen, but still in velvet and still appeared soft… so for the first time ever, I walked away from it.. yep go me..

Anyway I’m not just here to gloat, when do you fellas reckon I’ll be safe to go back and bowl him over in hard antler? Located North Otago ish

Cheers
    Tahr, Trout, Shearer and 7 others like this.

Later than reds so I would wait until into March. My experience with the big one I shot was that he didn't rut too far away from where he grew his velvet.
    Chur Bay and BSA270 like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Its times like this, you can call yourself a hunter rather than a shooter. You could have but you chose not too. Its been said that fallow never travel any more than about 2.5km from where they were born. Thats one of the reasons people like to introduce them to their private hunting area's, cos theres a good chance they will stick around. Best time to do that is now, when theyre in velvet. Keep watching over the next month or so and you should be able to work out his area and his routine. Then when the time is right, take him. Looking forward to an update post and pictures.

It's an interesting point you raise. A property I used to hunt said that they never got any stags. When I first went there I hunted a few times with the camera and didn't shoot the first thing I saw. The owners were amazed at the number of deer and stags that I saw.
    Micky Duck likes this.

If he really is a thumper, and you have sole access, maybe leave him until after the rut? Then he can pass on his thumper genes.
    (Isn't Thumper the rabbit from Bambi?)

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Difference between ethical hunters and poachers, Good on you. I hope you meet him again when he is all grown up and have some offsprings on the way.

If he's good he will be four at least. Five maybe. He has well spread his genes already.
    Fisherman, erniec, Huk and 2 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

T.T
    10/10 for letting him go.
    The buzz from letting an animal go is often a lot greater than knocking it over.Name:  6EF56E77-A8CC-46C6-925A-CDE5BCF86D09.jpeg
Views: 170
Size:  990.9 KB
    Tahr, Trout and HuntBeta like this.