Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: First red deer!

Nice one bro. Good to see you got a suppressor on your tikka. Was there much drama getting it done in the end?
    Been Upto likes this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Well done bro! Regardless of any monster trophies u may get in the future, you're first deer will always mean the most. Record it as Tahr says. I have a photo of me with my first deer that I'll keep forever.

By the way, I admire that you did it by yourself in true NZ back country and not an easy fallow on a farm somewhere. Good shit.
    Micky Duck and Been Upto like this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Awesome! Well done.
    Been Upto likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Well done.
    Been Upto likes this.

Thanks for the awesome comments guys, I really enjoy being apart of this community
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    Nice one bro. Good to see you got a suppressor on your tikka. Was there much drama getting it done in the end?
    Hey mate, theres was no dramas in the end I shouldve followed your advice on getting it done at the start! So much better to shoot really love it aye
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    looks like she was out on a slip?.... this is my plan when i hit the pureora this week .....hit the slips
    Hey mate I shoot this hind down in the creek bro, but ive heard slip hunting is the go. Going to give it a go when my .260 is up and running cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    That's cool. Make sure that you record the memory in some sort of enduring way.

When you look back at my age your life will be a blur and the details of such a significant event will be likely lost if you haven't captured it. Its too precious for that.

For the last 5 years I have kept a hunting diary with all sorts of things recorded. Its random, but significant to me and when I shuffle off to a rest home it will come too.
    Thats a good idea mate, also Id like to thank you for your advice on the area I shot the hind in. Cheers mate. I videoed my reaction straight after and I was absolutely chuffed aye awesome memory

Quote Originally Posted by Been Upto View Post
    Hey mate, theres was no dramas in the end I shouldve followed your advice on getting it done at the start! So much better to shoot really love it aye
    I like how my 7mm08 settled down once suppressed. The kick I didn't really mind, just didn't like the butt jumping around and spoiling my cheek weld.

The shot I took on a spiker recently was suppressed, and I could clearly hear the "whack " of the bullet hitting home which helped me to know I'd hit it solidly.

Also nice to not have to use earmuffs.
    Been Upto likes this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    I like how my 7mm08 settled down once suppressed. The kick I didn't really mind, just didn't like the butt jumping around and spoiling my cheek weld.

The shot I took on a spiker recently was suppressed, and I could clearly hear the "whack " of the bullet hitting home which helped me to know I'd hit it solidly.

Also nice to not have to use earmuffs.
    Ill supress every rifle I own from now on, That was a nice spiker too bro! RIP larry
    Max Headroom likes this.

Now you have your first you will find things only will get easier.
    veitnamcam and Been Upto like this.

Good one looks like a mean feed!!
    Been Upto likes this.

Well done Solid effort.
    Been Upto likes this.

Been Upto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    That's cool. Make sure that you record the memory in some sort of enduring way.

When you look back at my age your life will be a blur and the details of such a significant event will be likely lost if you haven't captured it. Its too precious for that.

For the last 5 years I have kept a hunting diary with all sorts of things recorded. Its random, but significant to me and when I shuffle off to a rest home it will come too.
    Good job @Been Upto, delighted to see your success!

I shot a deer week before last, a bit of a "story" to it, and I made a note-to-self in the form of a video on my GoPro about how damned happy I was with the job. When I got back to the house around midnight I was buggered and happy as, really chuffed. It's something that we sometimes forget as older blokes with more "tails on our belts", that we must work hard to maintain the enjoyment of a good hunt, and the memory of it mustn't be lost in amidst all the crap of life. You young fellas have a massive advantage in that you are able to record everything digitally - use it wisely and back it up! I lost a lot of the celluloid photos of my early hunting days, mid-80s to late-90s, in a burglary. I was completely torn up about that.
    Been Upto likes this.
    Just...say...the...word