Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree218Likes

Thread: Good caliber to start hunting with?

Exactly MattyP
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    I wouldn't go so far as to say it's nonsense. As you pointed out, good shot placement with a .243 is sufficient. The problem can arise when a new hunter and some not so new too, get buck fever and may not place the shot in the best spot, especially on a big Red stag like we get here in our local pine forests. Some of these stags can go over 170kgs dressed and you don't want them running 50m. A heavier cartridge such as the .308 30/06 etc with a suitable bullet gives a little more leeway as regards shot placement.
    And projectile selection, projectile selection for the calibre and intended use is far more important than the actual chambering or calibre of bore.

His best to hit bone may be true of factory 100gr rounds but not of many others.
    deer243 likes this.

I bought a world class 2-7 x32 tasco 25 years ago when I built my Mauser.
    It was the best I could afford and the small objective allowed me too keep the scope low and retain the iron sights.
    I went for grunty weaver rings and too this day Ive never regretted it.
    Its a fantastic bush scope , but I still prefer the little rossi when im exploreing .

Bang for buck - Nikon Monarch, you will not buy a better scope for less. They pop up second Han in mint condition on tard me all the time for a steal too, I paid $250 for the last one I got.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfish View Post
    I use a 243 in the UK and shoot Foxes, muntjac, Roe and Fallow with it and it does the job well, But Im not sure Id want to shoot a big Red stag in the roar with it. If I were in your shoes I think Id go 308...
    It's still good for a 2 year old spika, my freezer tells me that but some big raring bull, nah thanks.... Nice calibre and one i am looking at
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    And projectile selection, projectile selection for the calibre and intended use is far more important than the actual chambering or calibre of bore.

His best to hit bone may be true of factory 100gr rounds but not of many others.
    Yes, you quite right there veitnamcam. Projectile selection is very important for the intended range and the animal you after. Some are crap out at longer ranges. Some arent flash at closer ranges, bit like horses for courses. I use factory 100gr powershoks and they are awesome with it comes to knockdown power. Cant see any reason why i would change due to the fact they work so well. I have used other ammo in the past and some of them struggled to bowl a goat over so a bad projectile choice can change the view on how good you view the calibre. Re loading prob is a good way to go but 99 pcent of my hunting is bush stalking or within 250m so factory ammo that works does me fine. Mate swears by the 95gr ssts for the longer range with a 243 when it comes to factory rounds. Lots use 87gr or 80gr with the 243, esp people that reload. I wonder if the lighter pill is a factor on big stags in its knock down power? I have no idea, as always used 100gr and they do the job(nearlyoverkill on fallow). My second back up rifle is a 308, be no differnt, good projectile choice and shot placement will make the difference in the end on how sucessful it will be (and my shooting lol)

The blue box federal or rem cor loc in 150 will suit your hunting with the 308
    deer243 and Danny like this.

The rem corlokts work well on deer, mushroom out well and go right through to produce exit wound. Used them in my 308 with great success
    Ya can't park there mate.

I killed a fecking big red the other day with a 55gr bullet 100 seems overkill??! :p

Sorry, just had to skyte. Pics of the new gun when it arrives, OP!!
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    I killed a fecking big red the other day with a 55gr bullet 100 seems overkill??! :p

Seen big reds run away from a 55gr as well just saying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pointer likes this.

Nice lol. Was just saying on the few fallow i have shot i shot one in the middle of the shoulder with the 100gr feds and it totally fu ked it lol. Not only did it totally smash the shoulder to bits but it went though and hit the top of the leg on the otherside and blew the leg of just hanging by the skin. Was a real mess so the next two i shot just behind the shoulder and that worked fine but one did run 50 odd metres.At the same time i was sold on the Fed powershoks after that as i was looking for knockdown power esp on reds and havnt looked back with the stuff. Still yet to lose any animal with it after any hit so thats all you can ask.
    Cheers for the advice Veitnamcam and others on 308 choice. I have gone with the REM corelolts, not only have i heard good things about them(esp 0-300m) but seems right using they with a Rememinton 700. Seems to shoot ok, i see how it goes but still wouldnt mind trying something else for grouping comparsing but cant see buying adifferent packs just for that at the moment as the rems should be ok
    Dougie and Danny like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Seen big reds run away from a 55gr as well just saying

Seen a few reds run away from a plethora of other cals too, just sayin; practice makes perfect and I have learned to not squeeze the trigger unless I am 100% sure that in a second, that deer in the crosshairs is going to be dead.
    sako75, BRADS and 10-Ring like this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Seen a few reds run away from a plethora of other cals too, just sayin; practice makes perfect and I have learned to not squeeze the trigger unless I am 100% sure that in a second, that deer in the crosshairs is going to be dead.
    My point was its not a good cal to start with hunting imo.
    When you've had a few years under your belt and lots of animals then yeah if that's your thing using a bunny gun and you no its limitations then go hard.

Pointer and Toby like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    My point was its not a good cal to start with hunting imo.
    When you've had a few years under your belt and lots of animals then yeah if that's your thing using a bunny gun and you no its limitations then go hard.
    I completely agree, but don't put it on the projectile - put it on the shooter!!

I completely agree, but don't put it on the projectile - put it on the shooter!!
    One day you'll shoot a red in the neck with your 223.......it will run away. You'll be like maybe that's what he was talking about

Pointer, HUNTY, Spudattack and 2 others like this.