Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
Like Tree218Likes

Thread: Good caliber to start hunting with?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Chuck Hawks says the recoil's too much for my delicate shoulder.
    You better get a .222 then.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Yup chuck don't lie, as you can see all the non magmum have virtually identical recoil.
    When you grow up and fire a rifle you will either wee your pants and run home to mummy then lobby for all those nasty firearms to be banned, or realise there is really no difference in the non Magnum calibers and rifle weight combined with stock shape have more to do with felt recoil than what's stamped on the bottom of the case.
    Spudattack and 308 like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Yup chuck don't lie, as you can see all the non magmum have virtually identical recoil.
    When you grow up and fire a rifle you will either wee your pants and run home to mummy then lobby for all those nasty firearms to be banned, or realise there is really no difference in the non Magnum calibers and rifle weight combined with stock shape have more to do with felt recoil than what's stamped on the bottom of the case.
    I wee'ed but it was OK, was on concrete and it was a .50
    veitnamcam, Spudattack and JRW87 like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    That was harsh, Chuck would have said it with more finesse.
    Danny likes this.

How to harden up to recoil from girly calibres:

Step 1. Find someone with a proper rife ie .375 H&H or preferably bigger as I don't think the .375 has much recoil.
    Step 2. Fire 10 or so rounds through it from the bench or prone if you are brave.
    Step 3. Pick up your teeth if you were brave and went prone.
    Step 4. Never worry about the recoil from a piddly little .308 again as belted mugnums will now seem like puppies.
    veitnamcam, ebf and mikee like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

It would be interesting to do a blind fold test into a clay bank one day, guess the calibre.

Or start hunting with a sporter 303 lightened so much it barely has any wood left to hold the brass " recoil pad" before you are old enough to have even started thinking about how you are going to get your first root.
    Best start out shooting rabbits with it. This will get you used to shooting offhand and after a few hundred rounds of that you will barely be aware of any push at all.
    Spudattack and Toby like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Unless you are down in the .222/.223 territory (ie pew pew pew) the weight of rifle; width of recoil pad; suppressed or not; muzzlebrake or not are all factors that make more of a difference to how it boots

I can tell the difference between a 30.06 and a .243 by the kick but if the set-up is the same and blindfolded I don't think I'd tell a 7mm-08 vs a 308

Aside from all this talk of what kicks most, 308 ammo is cheap and readily available so there's that going for it

Not that I'm biased mind you

unless the A7 is old "stock" Not unusual for gunshops to have 2~3 year old model guns on the shelves re-priced as the MRRP goes up.

btw Is there a way to tell?
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

This has been a great thread
    When I started hunting deer at 17 - we all bought a 303 - various versions of cut down wood and generally no scope
    Most of us transitioned to a 30.06, 7mm, 308 or 270 - with a 4*32 scope
    I was a scrawny buggar - (see on hunting pictures thread) and most of us regularly went to NZDA target range where we got a real smack in the shoulder for the day
    A lot of deer got shot in the early days with one like old Henry Irwin (pic below) used from when he went bush after WW2 - he made his living for 20+ years from skins with that rifle
    But - hey - I am not knocking new technology - a lot of the cullers used 222 - there are fantastic options out there today - go for it
    Good on you Dougie - lots of people will learn from your skills and posts on here - you could teach me plenty
    I made mistakes when starting on fallow about six years back with my 270 - probably with wrong projectiles - I was then talked into getting a 22.250 but quickly resolved that disaster with a 243 and fantastic results - I hate having runners
    308 likes this.

Great stuff
    Dan M