Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree218Likes

Thread: Good caliber to start hunting with?

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Dougies on deer number 5 and shes writing the book! Ask me how many deer I've lost with the .223!

Daylight kills deer. The more daylight you can put into them then quicker they die. Use as much gun as you can handle!
    Are you a vampire deer slayer?
    Like one of these blood suckers? :-)
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  53.9 KB
    Dougie likes this.

Okay okay I'm just being a cocky shit. But bar my first ever deer (neck shot with a .243), I've not had one get up. I've shot two red deer with my .223 now.

HOWEVER - I have had goats get up. I've taken pop shots and misses and shot uphill and downhill and yanked the trigger and had my heart leap out of my chest and gut shotted and did I mention miss? And had shit position and rushed shots and done dumb newbie shit.

My point is, and I'm a little sorry to say this Goats, but I'm glad I had two years between my first deer and the other four. I conducted a lot of my education while hunting goats. Because I have shot five deer does not mean I have only squeezed the trigger five times. I have fired probably over 1000rounds through my .223 and maybe over 100 in the direction of something tasty.

I'm a geek and a cocky bitch and that's why I like flying the .223 flag and giving people some stick

But by no means am I a complete and total noob anymore. I have SO MUCH to learn but I think now I have a little sample of some things to teach, too. It would selfish of me not to share that.

And because of my experience on goats, I have let deer walk. I will not shoot unless I'm shooting to kill. I have not shot at every deer I've seen, far from it. I am (trying to be!) a responsible shooter.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Dougies on deer number 5 and shes writing the book! Ask me how many deer I've lost with the .223!

Daylight kills deer. The more daylight you can put into them then quicker they die. Use as much gun as you can handle!

Amen to that....................................but a 243 would be a good place to start but I would love to fire a shot from this
    Last edited by mikee; 08-03-2015 at 09:56 AM.
    veitnamcam, 300CALMAN and JRW87 like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

[QUOTE=Dougie;344553]Okay okay I'm just being a cocky shit. But bar my first ever deer (neck shot with a .243), I've not had one get up. I've shot two red deer with my .223 now.

HOWEVER - I have had goats get up. I've taken pop shots and misses and shot uphill and downhill and yanked the trigger and had my heart leap out of my chest and gut shotted and did I mention miss? And had shit position and rushed shots and done dumb newbie shit.

My point is, and I'm a little sorry to say this Goats, but I'm glad I had two years between my first deer and the other four. I conducted a lot of my education while hunting goats. Because I have shot five deer does not mean I have only squeezed the trigger five times. I have fired probably over 1000rounds through my .223 and maybe over 100 in the direction of something tasty.

I'm a geek and a cocky bitch and that's why I like flying the .223 flag and giving people some stick

But by no means am I a complete and total noob anymore. I have SO MUCH to learn but I think now I have a little sample of some things to teach, too. It would selfish of me not to share that.

And because of my experience on goats, I have let deer walk. I will not shoot unless I'm shooting to kill. I have not shot at every deer I've seen, far from it. I am (trying to be!) a responsible shooter.

Cheers.

Its hard to find the perfect woman lol. Sounds like you doing just fine, always learning and gaining experience as we go along. You fly that 223 flag, im flying the 243 flag lol. Other muppets want fly a bigger flag but each to there own haha

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    Its hard to find the perfect woman lol. Sounds like you doing just fine, always learning and gaining experience as we go along. You fly that 223 flag, im flying the 243 flag lol. Other muppets want fly a bigger flag but each to there own haha
    I found the perfect woman 20 years ago, she detests shopping it all its forms.............................so I married her but only god knows what she saw in me
    veitnamcam and deer243 like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I found the perfect woman 20 years ago, she detests shopping it all its forms.............................so I married her but only god knows what she saw in me
    Close, but still not the perfect woman. The perfect woman would still love taking you out Rifle shopping lol.

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    Close, but still not the perfect woman. The perfect woman would still love taking you out Rifle shopping lol.
    She doesn't mind me buying rifles and loves fishing, even wins fishing competitions for me. I can process all my rabbits, fish, hares and deers at the kitchen bench no worries. Any closer??

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    She doesn't mind me buying rifles and loves fishing, even wins fishing competitions for me. I can process all my rabbits, fish, hares and deers at the kitchen bench no worries. Any closer??
    Mine bought me a Sako rifle last year so I shouldn't complain but you'd think I'd committed adultery when I drop a snapper fillet or a back steak on the bench top...
    Dan M

Good caliber to start hunting with?

Nope
    Dan M

The .243 is a great place to start. I'm always wary of going to a 308 or 7mm when starting out.
    The secret with a 223 or 243 size is the shooter learns to shoot, I had poked through 2000 rounds through my Parker-hale by the age of 16years and I could shoot hares and goats at 300m+/- but put the old mans 308 up and I'd always flinch.
    Dougie likes this.
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Mine bought me a Sako rifle last year so I shouldn't complain but you'd think I'd committed adultery when I drop a snapper fillet or a back steak on the bench top...
    Ba ha ha ha ha, I can even walk thru the house in gumboots !!
    deer243 and Danny like this.

Lucky prick
    deer243 likes this.
    Dan M

The not-girlfriend doesn't like hunting, but does love the meat!
    Ya can't park there mate.

That will finish when you get married
    veitnamcam, Pengy and JRW87 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The .243 is a great place to start. I'm always wary of going to a 308 or 7mm when starting out.
    The secret with a 223 or 243 size is the shooter learns to shoot, I had poked through 2000 rounds through my Parker-hale by the age of 16years and I could shoot hares and goats at 300m+/- but put the old mans 308 up and I'd always flinch.
    I'd always thought the 308 had relatively mild recoil from all the recoil tables I looked at when deciding what my first centerfire was going to be. I had a 22lr and had shot maybe 2-3 rounds of 223 before I got my 308. It's a lot more than a 223 of course...but my wife (all of 55kg's) can shoot it. She was shit scared at first just from watching it being shot, but after shooting it was like..."oh." Same went for my sister.

Everyone's different obviously. I guess the best thing is just to try a calibre before you buy it if you're worried you might flinch or develop one.

The flinch you talk of maybe developed from hearing or seeing "dads big 308" for years from a young age? You may have just built it up mentally to be more than it is. Logically you know all you will feel is a firm tap to the shoulder.
    veitnamcam, deer243 and time out like this.