Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: A good opportunity to bait the anti brigade !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Hey leave motor racing out of this discussion
    +1

ebf
    Nathan, the "antis" have just as much right to their views as you do to yours

I quite often get an initial negative reaction when telling someone that I hunt. After taking a small amount of time to explain that I practise ethical hunting, eat everything I shoot, and that the meat is 100% free range organic, you'd be amazed by how many people start having a better reaction.

The reality is that hunters are in a significant minority in modern society. You might think that it is a case of "united we stand, divided we fall", I'd suggest to you that unless hunters and hunting organisations make a real effort to improve their public relations the slow death has already started. It's up to hunters to change the way the general public perceives us and our pastime, antagonising them is really not a clever long term strategy
    gadgetman, R93, Dougie and 4 others like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

No problem with it,

Lions are not endangered are they, and generally the Trophy fees charged (for the "Big Five" especially) are enough to make most peoples eyes water, so providing some of it actually makes it to the locals in some way along with guiding fees etc then it makes no difference whether its a lion or a mouse.

Note: I generally only hunt paper or steel but as long as its legal don't have a problem with others hunting live stuff and would shoot a deer if one wandered in front of me at the right time, I eat meat (and almost anything else that moves).
    But what would I know.................
    Maca49 likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Note: I generally only hunt paper or steel but as long as its legal don't have a problem with others hunting live stuff and would shoot a deer if one wandered in front of me at the right time, I eat meat (and almost anything else that moves).
    You forgot clay bro!
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Nathan, the "antis" have just as much right to their views as you do to yours

I quite often get an initial negative reaction when telling someone that I hunt. After taking a small amount of time to explain that I practise ethical hunting, eat everything I shoot, and that the meat is 100% free range organic, you'd be amazed by how many people start having a better reaction.

The reality is that hunters are in a significant minority in modern society. You might think that it is a case of "united we stand, divided we fall", I'd suggest to you that unless hunters and hunting organisations make a real effort to improve their public relations the slow death has already started. It's up to hunters to change the way the general public perceives us and our pastime, antagonising them is really not a clever long term strategy
    And what are you doing about it EBF ? What is your idea of ethical hunting ? Shooting a Lion tied to a tree might be her's ? I agree with you that Hunters are becoming more of a minority here in NZ . How many people have firearms licences now in NZ ? Is it like 250000 out of 4.5 million? The point I was trying to make is ....... Actually I dont know. What I do know is I dont like people getting up others just because they dont agree with what they are doing. Live and let live I reckon. You are right EBF - even hairy legged lesbian vego's are entitled to their point of view.
    R93 likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I am not a trophy hunter and certainly don't understand why someone would want to shoot such a majestic animal but I have no issue with the fact that she will have paid a fee and got a good result for her efforts. It also surprises me not that she has incurred the wrath of the many. I have to fess up that when I first saw the picture I thought to myself "damn I could bang that right there" and I wasn't thinking about the lion.
    Toby, initiaz and nz_hunter like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    "damn I could bang that right there" and I wasn't thinking about the lion.
    I don't think any of us were
    initiaz and jord like this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I don't think any of us were
    Dunno Toby. There is more chance of Rushy in his loin cloth, running down the Lion I reckon.
    gadgetman and kiwi39 like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I personally don't see the point in shooting something like that. Bear, Elephant, Shark but this doesn't bug me at all. Each to there own
    If the reporters had done a proper job and actually told the whole story, then I think most people wouldn't have too much of a problem. From what I understand it was part of a cull that needed to be done. No big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    You forgot clay bro!
    No I didn't, I only attempt to shoot them things, hopefully santa will bring me something nice in 12g as the 20 is getting too expensive

If it was shot as a "Cull" then I would have even less of an issue. Problem gone and it earned $$, better than dead lion and no benefit. Not my cup of T though
    R93 likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    I am not a trophy hunter and certainly don't understand why someone would want to shoot such a majestic animal but I have no issue with the fact that she will have paid a fee and got a good result for her efforts. It also surprises me not that she has incurred the wrath of the many. I have to fess up that when I first saw the picture I thought to myself "damn I could bang that right there" and I wasn't thinking about the lion.
    Himalayan Tahr are majestic too. Why would anyone want to shoot them?

"when I first saw the picture I thought to myself "damn I could bang that right there" and I wasn't thinking about the lion"
    R93 and Sniper like this.

Rushy I thought you had an impressive collection of trophy GONGS hanging round the farm?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

killing animals is ok as long as you have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    And what are you doing about it EBF ? What is your idea of ethical hunting ? Shooting a Lion tied to a tree might be her's ? I agree with you that Hunters are becoming more of a minority here in NZ . How many people have firearms licences now in NZ ? Is it like 250000 out of 4.5 million? The point I was trying to make is ....... Actually I dont know. What I do know is I dont like people getting up others just because they dont agree with what they are doing. Live and let live I reckon. You are right EBF - even hairy legged lesbian vego's are entitled to their point of view.
    Also remember the world is a changing place, young people don't have ready access to farms as I did when I was younger, most of the young population spend their time on other pursuits, and that's before any of the antis get involved. New Zealand rural population probable still produce most of our hunters/shooters.
    Nathan F and R93 like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Bitch can stand with one foot on my chest as a conquest...then take me home and mount me.
    sako75, gadgetman, Toby and 3 others like this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.