Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree341Likes

Thread: Goodbye possums, rats and stoats

When asked in her interview with Paul Henry this morning Barry said she would use similar methods that had proved successful on several "now predator free" offshore islands. I think we can assume from that , that she , being "in charge" will carry on using brodifacoum and 1080 even more intensely than before. The public announcement of TV showed Gareth Morgan in the foreground and there has already been much talk about philanthropic input to the new PFNZ government company to be set up. Morgan and Smith were intensively involved in the recent poisoning of the antipodes islands using brodifacoum.

Barry claimed she was known in Parliament as "Killer Barry", the party's biggest killer. There may be an ironic and ominous prediction in that.

And I had the hots for her when she lived close by in the Wairarapa, its OK Ive already slapped myself.... twice!
    tetawa and Woody like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Thought it was Gareth Morgan that I saw, he has friends with deep pockets so what do they want in return?

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    And I had the hots for her when she lived close by in the Wairarapa, its OK Ive already slapped myself.... twice!
    You can stop breathing now.
    Maca49 likes this.

Sums up my thoughts exactly, thanks Mr Prosser Predator-free NZ could be Pandora's box | Voxy.co.nz
    veitnamcam, bully, H&K MAN and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug View Post
    Sums up my thoughts exactly, thanks Mr Prosser Predator-free NZ could be Pandora's box | Voxy.co.nz
    +1 good article, gotta say irrational is a bit light, fucking stupid is better, I get concerned when any government goes off on Tangents like this, Ahh Money show me the MONEY
    tetawa, stingray and H&K MAN like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

+1 good article, gotta say irrational is a bit light, fucking stupid is better, I get concerned when any government goes off on Tangents like this, Ahh Money show me the MONEY
    Why don't they talk of this sort of money to stop kids being beaten to death, too hard basket, the PC brigade are happy with the poison and all the trough feeders that go along with it.

"No human society in history has succeeded in exterminating the rat, and it is highly unlikely that we will be the first. The intention is so unrealistic as to be bordering on the irrational.
    Bordering in irrational? It's getting your gear off, diving in and going for a swim in irrational.
    Steve123 likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

No human society has succeeded in eliminating cancer, we shouldn't bother giving it a go

Richard Prosser is a moron hth
    Tahr likes this.

They'd have to get rid of cats too then

25th July 2016

To; The Right Honourable John key; Prime Minister of New Zealand
    and: The Honourable Maggie Barry; Minister of Conservation.
    Subject. Requests under the Official Information and Ombudsman’s Acts about your collective public broadcast announcements:
    VIZ: John Key
    25 JULY, 2016
    New Zealand to be Predator Free by 2050
    Prime Minister John Key has today announced the Government has adopted the goal of New Zealand becoming Predator Free by 2050.
    “While once the greatest threat to our native wildlife was poaching and deforestation it is now introduced predators,” Mr Key says.
    “Rats, possums and stoats kill 25 million of our native birds every year, and prey on other native species such as lizards and, along with the rest of our environment, we must do more to protect them.”
    Mr Key says these introduced pests also threaten our economy and primary sector, with their total economic cost estimated at around $3.3 billion a year.

“That’s why we have adopted this goal. Our ambition is that by 2050 every single part of New Zealand will be completely free of rats, stoats and possums.
    “This is the most ambitious conservation project attempted anywhere in the world, but we believe if we all work together as a country we can achieve it.”
    The Government will lead the effort, by investing an initial $28 million in a new joint venture company called Predator Free New Zealand Limited to drive the programme alongside the private sector.
    This funding is on top of the $60 to $80 million already invested in pest control by the government every year and the millions more contributed by local government and the private sector.
    Predator Free New Zealand Limited will be responsible for identifying large, high value predator control projects and attracting co-investors to boost their scale and success.
    The Government will look to provide funding on a one for two basis - that is for every $2 that local councils and the private sector put in, the Government will contribute another dollar.
    “This ambitious project is the latest step in the National-led Government’s commitment to protecting our environment.
    “We are committed to its sustainable management and our track record speaks for itself.
    “This includes the decision to establish the world’s largest fully protected ocean sanctuary in the Kermadecs, better protection in our territorial sea and our efforts to improve the quality of our fresh waterways.
    “We know the goal we have announced today is ambitious but we are ambitious for New Zealand.
    “And we know we can do it because we have shown time and again what can be achieved when New Zealanders come together with the ambition, willpower and wherewithal to make things happen.”
    • John Key
    • Prime Minister

More specifically we request under the aforementioned Acts detailed validated technical and scientifically valid survey data and statistics proving the following claims made by you. Q1 and Q 2.

Q1 “Rats, possums and stoats kill 25 million of our native birds every year,

Q2 Mr Key says these introduced pests also threaten our economy and primary sector, with their total economic cost estimated at around $3.3 billion a year.
    3 With regard to the following statement " The Government will lead the effort, by investing an initial $28 million in a new joint venture company called Predator Free New Zealand Limited to drive the programme alongside the private sector."
    Q3a Please detail the names of the owners and directors of this company
    Q3b Please confirm this company will be subject to the OIA and Ombudsman's Acts and subject to scrutiny by the Auditor General.
    Q3c Please confirm that the staff, directors and contractor to this company will be subject to the NZ Civil / Public Service Codes of Conduct.
    4 With regard to the following statement: " The Government will look to provide funding on a one for two basis - that is for every $2 that local councils and the private sector put in, the Government will contribute another dollar.
    Q4a Many New Zealand residents are already under financial stress, and in particular superannuitants and beneficiaries. What provision will you make to ensure increased expenditure by Regional and Local Councils do not financially impact on these persons in the form of any increase in rates or other levies?
    Q5 What guarantees will you provide to ensure the rights of private property owners and occupiers are not encroached upon by this scheme including the right to refuse access and to refuse the deposition of poisons such as 1080 and brodifacoum on their property?
    Q6 What guarantees will you provide to ensure the rights of private property owners and occupiers are not encroached upon by this scheme including the guarantee of safety of animals pets and stock?
    Q7 What guarantees will you provide to ensure the rights of private property owners and occupiers are not encroached upon by this scheme including a guarantee of nil pollution of water supplies for domestic, irrigation and animal use?
    Q8 What guarantees will you provide that game animals, including deer, chamois, tahr, wildfowl, trout, birds and fish and the management as assets of these creatures will not be negatively impacted by this proposed scheme.
    Q9 What guarantees will you give that indigenous flora and fauna and marine flora and fauna and fresh water will not be negatively impacted upon by this scheme.
    Q10 What guarantee will you provide ensuring the rights of free access to public lands and waters will be maintained at all times?
    Q11 Will you guarantee full and regular public reporting of fiscal and physical activities of the PFNZ LTD company and " the scheme" with an annual review of whether the concept should or should not be continued?
    Q12 While we (NZWBM) agrees that the elimination of rats, mustelids and possums is desirable we also believe feral cats and rabbits should be included. However, we feel bound to point out that rabbits have been targeted for several decades and in fact were the reason 1080 poison was first mooted and used in NZ. Despite over 50 years of use of 1080 poison the rabbits, stoats, ferrets, weasels, polecats, cats and possums are still with us and it is notable that rabbit in particular, which inhabits much more open and accessible terrain than deep bush has failed to be eliminated by 1080 poison and shooting and trapping as well as numerous other poisons such as strychnine and introduced disease such as the coleisii virus.
    The failure by all current and past means of controls to eliminate the feral rabbit is a clear indication of the very unlikely prospect of this scheme to succeed unless a completely new methodology is adopted. It is also a clear indication that the directions currently taken by DoC and the AHB / TBFree NZ LTD is inherently flawed and is not working anywhere nearly as well as is claimed.
    It may in fact be worthy of your serious consideration to substitute the current per hectare costs of aerial poisoning which are audited at $57 per hectare (2010 AHB review audited costs) with applying those funds to trapping of various types immediately. This will have a better chance of achieving TB Free objectives and environmental gains than persisting with mass poison application. It would also relate more appropriately to your present aspirations for a predator free NZ.
    Q 12a Would you be prepared to discuss this view with us?

Excellent effort Woody. I really hope you get some intelligent answers, but I have huge doubts on that one.
    tetawa, deer243 and Steve123 like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

"They" ( ie govt & DOC & public service gravy train) are delusional. Irradicating the 3 named pests across all of NZ is simply impossible - regardless of whether they use chemical or biological "weapons" or all the above.
    Rodents are designed by nature & evolution to survive. And as some one mentioned above, just look at rabbit example. Even after a biological control like calicivirus as well as shooting & poisoning the rabbit population remains very healthy.

So if we accept for a moment that the desired outcome "predator free", while lofty & applaudible, is "dilusional" then you have to ask the bigger question ..... why ?
    Why has this issue suddenly been lobbed into the political landscape by reputedly intelligent human beings ? and who stands to gain from it ? and why ?

Politicians want a distraction from the real issues that confront our country and economy.
    There is an election in 18 mo time ..... & just like the flag debate issue, Key wants people & the media talking about peripheral stuff, not core issues.
    And no, I don't think the pink lot or the green lot are any better - they are worse. Just pointing out that Key knows how to manipulate the press.
    And Winston just goes after any short term emotive issue to get himself re-elected. Don't expect him to do ANYTHING constructive or positive once elected.

What concerns me more, is the DOC and other civil service gravy train leaches that have their noses in a well paid trough, with no intention of ever taking them out !
    And that goes to the 1080 factory and $$ that flow from that as well.
    And with ZERO accountability to us tax & rate payers.

We need some decent investigative journalism to ask the really tough questions & expose the scam at all levels for what it is.
    Like the questions Woody has posed above.
    Trouble is the "journos" these days seem to be employed as "eye candy", & ability to generate "click bait media", not for any intelligence or substance.
    tetawa, stingray, deer243 and 3 others like this.

Yeah it sounds a bit like a ploy to get or stop fringe voters from voting green.

A biological solution thru GE might heavily reduce them but I seriously doubt you'd ever eradicate them, once the mice & rats are gone what are the feral cats going to concentrate on eating? Birds, so the cats need to go as well, I'm happy to do my part & hereby volunteer to start with my neighbors cats as soon as Maggie gives me the go ahead!

How about a Brodie drop over Auckland to start with
    nevereadyfreddy and doubleRB like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Possums are already targeted by OSPRI and they have rights of entry on private property whenever they feel like invoking their powers under the Biosecurity Act.
    This "new" ploy is intended to cover ALL of New Zealand, yours and my lands.
    I would advise you to sit up and pay close attention to what these people and government minions really intend.
    gadgetman, tetawa, bully and 1 others like this.