Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree341Likes

Thread: Goodbye possums, rats and stoats

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    How do you propose that to happen when everyone has a tantrum at the idea of funding it?
    I guess I'd do it commercially, and leave DOC out of it
    blake likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I think you need some hunting lessons if the way you do it is hidiously cruel and indiscriminate.
    I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy when hunters complain about the cruelty of 1080 when they shoot animals in the chest for fun, personally I'd never use that argument because you're just opening yourself up to criticism.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I can't ever recall having shot an animal in the chest for fun. For food yes but for fun no!
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    You got one thing right. 1080 is a industry and is about alot more than just pest control or just a poison. As for a big claim the industry silences the following its not too hard to believe if you open your eyes.
    Multitude of scientists.......firstly thats abit of a joke is it not.
    Most comments or anything that is said in the main media is from the Governments own scientists or ones that support the 1080 industry. Just the word 1080, or poison is a struggle to be said now days on main stream media. Half the comments from so called experts are saying nothing more than crap that have no evidence that supports it or theres only one side told. Shit, they dont know how many possums there are in round about figures and claims from top scienists that 50 percent of TB invections are caused by possums.
    We know thats crap as a example, but these so called scientists are nothing but paid muppets.
    Forest and bird......waste of space,they fully support the 1080 ops.Them and FED farmers are big players in the political arena and the Government greases right up their arse/
    DOC....Muppets of the government, they do and say as they told. you dont bite the hand that feeds you .
    Politicians...Most other parties all support the 1080 industry, bar NZ first and they speak out. 1080 industry is a very big political minefield and im sure any comments are carefully worded and come from the top. no
    You can't argue with that, how about you back up some of your claims?

The press doesn't really bother with anti-fluoride and anti-vaccine brigade anymore because the evidence is clear and their pseudo-science does stack up to criticism, anti-1080 is the same, nothing to do with political pressure to support a tiny industry.
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    I can't ever recall having shot an animal in the chest for fun. For food yes but for fun no!
    I'm not having a go, deer stalking, goat shooting etc is all enjoyable/fun to hunters. It's usually cheaper to go and buy meat which has been prepared in a more humane manner, especially when you factor in your time, yet we still decide to hunt.

I'm just playing the devils advocate, I'm not saying we shouldn't hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    prepared in a more humane manner
    That point could be debated, accurate shoot to the head vs the slaughterhouse
    blake likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I'm not having a go, deer stalking, goat shooting etc is all enjoyable/fun to hunters. It's usually cheaper to go and buy meat which has been prepared in a more humane manner, especially when you factor in your time, yet we still decide to hunt.

Mate I am not denying that I enjoy hunting but I am very clear that I do not hunt to kill. I kill only to have hunted successfully.
    Savage1 and deer243 like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

deer243 likes this.

You can't argue with that, how about you back up some of your claims?

The press doesn't really bother with anti-fluoride and anti-vaccine brigade anymore because the evidence is clear and their pseudo-science does stack up to criticism, anti-1080 is the same, nothing to do with political pressure to support a tiny industry.
    I meant to write 'doesn't' stack up to criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Well, yeah, we have been that dumb. No one has come up with anything more effective, cost efficient or safer yet - and that's a fact. But with money and research it need not stay like that.
    I've got a blood disease that would have killed me 20 years ago, now its managed and I will die with it rather than of it. I have a lot of faith in science.
    Now come on Tahr. The NZ Fur industry has been suppressed for decades. Alternative schemes for dealing with possums in particular have been mooted including at the ERMA review, the Ulva island brodifacoum poisoning debacle, forest parks, exotic forests and farms.

Common typical spin emanating from the Animal Health Board and DoC and even some complicit Regional Councils have made media claims repeatedly that 1080 is only used in REMOTE RUGGED AND INACCESSIBLE AREAS,, and we all know what bullshit this really is.

So don't try to tell us that money and research magically suddenly appearing is actually going to happen and that all the ills of past desecration of the forests by 1080 are going to go away. Cripes, they're safeguarding themselves with a 34 year (at least) buffer before being called to account. How very convenient after 50 plus years of failure and spin!.

Those of us who have been advocating for decades to have exactly that (funding and research provided and directed at using systems other than 1080) happen are for very good reason now skeptical of such comment. How come our brave innovative government is only going to contribute a fraction of what funding is required while at the same time going to continue providing over a hundred million per year to the existing failures in DoC and OSPRI?

I note that the NZ Fur Council recently offered their support to trap possums rats and stoats AGAIN, and AGAIN, asking for more allocation of DoC administered land to operate trappers in. Will DoC and OSPRI again stand in their way I wonder?
    veitnamcam, tetawa and deer243 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Now come on Tahr. The NZ Fur industry has been suppressed for decades. Alternative schemes for dealing with possums in particular have been mooted including at the ERMA review, the Ulva island brodifacoum poisoning debacle, forest parks, exotic forests and farms.

Common typical spin emanating from the Animal Health Board and DoC and even some complicit Regional Councils have made media claims repeatedly that 1080 is only used in REMOTE RUGGED AND INACCESSIBLE AREAS,, and we all know what bullshit this really is.

So don't try to tell us that money and research magically suddenly appearing is actually going to happen and that all the ills of past desecration of the forests by 1080 are going to go away. Cripes, they're safeguarding themselves with a 34 year (at least) buffer before being called to account. How very convenient after 50 plus years of failure and spin!.

Those of us who have been advocating for decades to have exactly that (funding and research provided and directed at using systems other than 1080) happen are for very good reason now skeptical of such comment. How come our brave innovative government is only going to contribute a fraction of what funding is required while at the same time going to continue providing over a hundred million per year to the existing failures in DoC and OSPRI?

I note that the NZ Fur Council recently offered their support to trap possums rats and stoats AGAIN, and AGAIN, asking for more allocation of DoC administered land to operate trappers in. Will DoC and OSPRI again stand in their way I wonder?
    Why do we have possums north of Auckland woody?

I've seen possums in the Auckland CBD, and strolling casually across the Auckland International Airport carpark, right outside the terminal. Are they going to 1080 urban areas to get them?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post

Missing words from previous statements: Gravy-train, conspiracy, duplicate, lies, Graff

I'm happy to back the future vision rather than be swayed by the disaffected of the past. Truth is, the announcements on this have said that all current effective methodologies will be applied, plus new innovations arising from research. Call me mad or naive, scoff at me, but I'm not knocking it. Probably because I have no vested interest save for the preservation to the greatest extent of our biodiversity. And, I don't give a shit about the politics.
    Wildman, Savage1 and doubleRB like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    I've seen possums in the Auckland CBD, and strolling casually across the Auckland International Airport carpark, right outside the terminal. Are they going to 1080 urban areas to get them?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    No. Its a captive population to ensure continuity for the fur traders in the event that rural 'possums are wiped out by OSPRI, DOC and Pest Free NZ.
    WallyR likes this.