Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: GSP Cross Mutt, anyone had any experience?

gspf is on the lookout for a new hunting dog .Alas he lost both of his mates -bloody crackers both of them.

A pointer X pup will do perfectly. Some natural instincts and the training you put in will go along way.

As people have said the more you put into your dog the better they will be, regardless of breed.

I was after a pointer as a hunting buddy ended up with Ivy (Belgium Malinois X) not a breed typically used for hunting. If she could find game great but mostly to have company in the bush and track any wounded animals. She doesn't have the natural instincts that pointers do but she is getting better and better with more time in the bush.
    Even from the get go i could tell there was animals nearby from her changes in body language. But once it clicked that goats and deer are target animals she
    I have done alot of tracking training with hides and blood in open fields then moving to bush.

Her faults are mostly my failures as a handler:
    Took her hunting too quickly without fully gun training her - She went from mildly not liking gun shots to tail down running away. To this day she is weary of me handling firearms at home and will run to the car if i set off a cap gun 50m from her at the park.
    But get her in the bush hunting and she will down and get excited waiting for the gunshot as she wants to find the animal.
    I need to put more time into impulse control as she has now started to break and run forwards after the first shot, not ideal when there is 10+ goats.

Build lots of confidence with the puppy,
    buy some Deer Dog Training Blue Print videos to help with your training.
    And Go spend time in the bush.

Another thing to consider is what is your work / private life like. if you don't have 1-2 hours a day (maybe more) to put into training and exercising your dog.
    Most dogs i see that have been given up on is from lack of training and lack of exercise so dog starts getting bored so barks, whines and destroys things.

Name:  17976861_10156030591364278_525005625_o.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  405.5 KB
    Name:  17990726_10156035169264278_78347287750315266_n.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  145.7 KB
    Name:  29662308_10157265317344278_852885966831345835_o.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  240.0 KB
    Name:  Ivy 4.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  438.3 KB
    Name:  29103949_10157199709609278_5901192332065112064_o.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  747.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget connaisseur View Post
    A pointer X pup will do perfectly. Some natural instincts and the training you put in will go along way.

As people have said the more you put into your dog the better they will be, regardless of breed.

I was after a pointer as a hunting buddy ended up with Ivy (Belgium Malinois X) not a breed typically used for hunting. If she could find game great but mostly to have company in the bush and track any wounded animals. She doesn't have the natural instincts that pointers do but she is getting better and better with more time in the bush.
    Even from the get go i could tell there was animals nearby from her changes in body language. But once it clicked that goats and deer are target animals she
    I have done alot of tracking training with hides and blood in open fields then moving to bush.

Took her hunting too quickly without fully gun training her - She went from mildly not liking gun shots to tail down running away. To this day she is weary of me handling firearms at home and will run to the car if i set off a cap gun 50m from her at the park.
    But get her in the bush hunting and she will down and get excited waiting for the gunshot as she wants to find the animal.
    I need to put more time into impulse control as she has now started to break and run forwards after the first shot, not ideal when there is 10+ goats.

Another thing to consider is what is your work / private life like. if you don't have 1-2 hours a day (maybe more) to put into training and exercising your dog.
    Most dogs i see that have been given up on is from lack of training and lack of exercise so dog starts getting bored so barks, whines and destroys things.

Attachment 96633
    Attachment 96634
    Attachment 96635
    Attachment 96636
    Attachment 96637
    Awesome looking dog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    stingray likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sometimes1 View Post
    Awesome looking dog

Thanks, Shes a mostly awesome dog too.
    There are alot of dogs with similar coats to hers in America but none of those lines are in NZ.
    Used heavily by police and military overseas but we are too soft still using German Shepherds haha
    This is the rest of my pack (and mums chew toy that she calls a dog) The middle one Jax is what they usually look like, Similar to German Shepherd.

Name:  12222332323.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  870.7 KB
    Name:  37531289_1959996217630801_8077748519202455552_n.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  426.8 KB

HOO
    Thanks, Shes a mostly awesome dog too.
    There are alot of dogs with similar coats to hers in America but none of those lines are in NZ.
    Used heavily by police and military overseas but we are too soft still using German Shepherds haha
    This is the rest of my pack (and mums chew toy that she calls a dog) The middle one Jax is what they usually look like, Similar to German Shepherd.

Attachment 96757
    Attachment 96753
    Damn that’s a good looking pack of dogs

"Food!"

Name:  96757d1539239968-gsp-cross-mutt-anyone-had-any-experience-12222332323.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  870.7 KB
    Micky Duck likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Attachment 96633
    Attachment 96634
    Attachment 96635
    Attachment 96636
    Attachment 96637
    Thanks for sharing, very good looking dogs indeed, Strange how the world works, i have owned two dogs for the last 8 years one of them in particular been a Chitzu, since my most recent human child (3 years of age) my wife has been begging to get a third pup so my youngest can experience having a puppy around as my oldest grew up with our Chitzu and over the last 3 years i kept telling her once one of our dogs pass we can get another pup.......... well as of last night i drove up my long and winding driveway, both my dogs ran up to greet me as per usual but sadly our Chitzu ran under my wheel and we have had to put her down, very unpleasant experience, so naturally I have stuck to my word and excepted this GSP cross pup and will hopefully have in my hands by the long weekend, awesome to see you bought up the deer blueprint, i have been watching many many of his youtube clips, he makes great sense,

on a positive note and slightly funny story, I have also failed my first "hunting" pup he is a huntaway cross, and i also made the fatal mistake of getting him hunting before completely training him, he is also incredibly gun shy the moment he hears my rifle cabinet open he runs and quivers in the corner, when he was 9 months old i took him out pig hunting for the first time with a friend of mine who had 3 decent dogs at the time, we got onto a pig and instead of my pup helping the other dogs he tried protecting the pig and was taking to the other dogs, as much as i failed him i also feel he is just simply too soft at heart for hunting, well pig hunting anyway, he is now 7 years old and is an amazing pet for my kids, since then i have grown older and a tad more wise so i hope to get better hunting results from this GSP cross,

That sucks about loosing the Chitzu. No doubt you will make the most of the GSP.
    Update us with some Photos when you get the pup! and let us know how its going with the training.
    If you need any goat or deer skin for tracking training let me know i still have some in my freezer.

Just got all my dogs Kiwi Aversion training done last week. From where Jax came from we had a suspicion he had already been done but it wasn't confirmed. He walked along the track just looking at me and wasn't really sniffing. Turned his head as he ran into the stuffed kiwi. Turned around and ran all the way back to the gate. Doc ranger didn't Zap him......tried walking him back again and he wouldn't go any closer than 10m and just stood on the track looking at me thinking are you stupid im not coming any closer. Doc ranger...."hahaha i think hes been done before"
    Micky Duck, FatLabrador and KaneB like this.

That sucks about loosing the Chitzu. No doubt you will make the most of the GSP.
    Update us with some Photos when you get the pup! and let us know how its going with the training.
    If you need any goat or deer skin for tracking training let me know i still have some in my freezer.

Just got all my dogs Kiwi Aversion training done last week. From where Jax came from we had a suspicion he had already been done but it wasn't confirmed. He walked along the track just looking at me and wasn't really sniffing. Turned his head as he ran into the stuffed kiwi. Turned around and ran all the way back to the gate. Doc ranger didn't Zap him......tried walking him back again and he wouldn't go any closer than 10m and just stood on the track looking at me thinking are you stupid im not coming any closer. Doc ranger...."hahaha i think hes been done before"
    Lol yea i will have to look into the Kiwi Aversion training, i assume i just call DOC and book a time ect, turns out the father is a Lockley, from what i have been told theyre a specific bred hunting dog also, The pup has arrived in Taranaki today and i pick her up next week as i am heading down the Ruahines this weekend, will post some more pics when i get back, hopefully i wont need any hide after this weekend haha but really appreciate the offer if i have no luck maybe il take you up on that. Cheers

Yeah they hold them every 3-4 months i have been told.

https://www.kiwisforkiwi.org/what-we...ers-directory/
    Thats a list of all the trainers who do it there.
    Give Paul or Jared a call.
    I think their number listed is just the local doc office anyway.

Yeah they hold them every 3-4 months i have been told.

https://www.kiwisforkiwi.org/what-we...ers-directory/
    Thats a list of all the trainers who do it there.
    Give Paul or Jared a call.
    I think their number listed is just the local doc office anyway.
    Thanks mate, Well finished work at 4pm on friday, drove to the east coast side of the Ruahines, done the old windy cold walk at night to the hut only to find the hut was full, so i slept on the floor haha, woke up the next morning to find there were also people camping in a tent outside of the hut, the area was just riddled with hunters, plenty of deer sign around 1-2 nights old, out of the 11 hunters over the weekend, not one walked out with meat or even seeing a deer, I was lucky enough to stalk close in on a hind however it got scent of me before been able to make a clean kill, the deer were extremely wary, i blame far to much pressure in the area as well as the crazy swirling winds my feelings they had moved up and over the next valley, cant blame numbers because there was far to much sign.

Last night i got to meet my girl and have been spending the morning with her, have signed up for the deer dog blueprint this morning so hopefully its not a load of shit and i get my moneys worth from it haha, i wont be ready to start trail training her just yet but if i havent had any luck on getting a deer over the next few weeks then i wil PM you and maybe take up your kind offer on some deer hide. Cheers
    FatLabrador likes this.

lockleys are well known in pig hunting circles...if my memory serves me correctly they a lean fast dog sort of greyhound /collie sort of look. good dogs by all accounts. great to hear your journey has begun...shot a deer in matagouri scrub this morning in a block where I cant take dog......found it ok but it wouldve been a heap easier with the super sniffer along for the hunt.....wouldnt have needed 3 attempts to head shoot it either as dog wouldve grabbed it when asked to.
    KaneB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    lockleys are well known in pig hunting circles...if my memory serves me correctly they a lean fast dog sort of greyhound /collie sort of look. good dogs by all accounts. great to hear your journey has begun...shot a deer in matagouri scrub this morning in a block where I cant take dog......found it ok but it wouldve been a heap easier with the super sniffer along for the hunt.....wouldnt have needed 3 attempts to head shoot it either as dog wouldve grabbed it when asked to.
    Yea i was told Lockley have some greyhound, she so far is picking things up extremely fast, had to deal with some separation anxiety yesterday afternoon but shes been absolutely great since,

Oh beauty mate, awesome

it's been said above but it's all about the time put in not the breed .... my 5c
    Nugget connaisseur and KaneB like this.

Thought id share an update, The blueprint has been great and id recommend it to anyone who hasnt had much experience training dogs, many great tips. I have taken a short video of my girl on her 3rd scent training session, she hasnt failed yet and doesnt get over hyped when on a scent, she doesnt point as much as id thought she would but maybe that comes with age, would anyone know? even so she does still point occasionally, here is the video https://youtu.be/euR1GGz28-4
    Danny and 2post like this.