Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree201Likes

Thread: How not to kill a cow

Your missing that you cant see where the hell he is shooting or his background.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    Shooter, 6x47 and Skatieguy like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Didn't he use a pistol? Despite the Ar loading seen.
    The 9mm wouldn't go through a cows head.
    Tap it in the x between the eyes and ears and it'll drop even with a 22, yes it's not easy when the fuckr is chasing you, I no I've done it, more than once.
    Definitely looks like an Ar to me just after the 1st shot if you can see it against the background.
    They shoot remington core lock factory ammo.

Only shot that looks bad to me is the 1st one as the cow charges towards him i would think a head shot would be an option on an angry moving cow, dosnt take much of a head wip to miss. Body shots much safer in a built up area.

The hastings cops used to be well practiced at the stortford lodge sale yards when the Chatham Island cattle came in they often took a look around and headed to somewhere else
    Know what you mean Brads- we once had the "fortune" to get some of them despite telling the stock agent we wanted quiet cattle. One bitch jumped off the truck and straight through four fences. Took me two days to get her back from the neighbouring farm and she never settled down. Even after 18 months, she would still bolt if you looked at her within 50yds and I had to shoot her as she was impossible to get on the truck.
    BRADS and Skatieguy like this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Had 1 come head down at me one day in the bush, took 3 shots from my jungle carbine to put her down. Just like hunting Buff in Africa whoowee. I was hunting her and was prepared, except I wasn't prepared for her speed and aggression. Poor Cop must of been scared, but he did stand his ground and got the job done. The placement of his bullets might of had a lot to do with the background, and he might of played safe and aimed for the big target for area safety. I would of done the same
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Alot of criticism for the boys in blue on here. I think the guys at the scene did the best they could with the given situation. No one knows whether he has 20 years of farming behind him or if they only experience he has with animals is a police dog. Alot of assumptions going on. At the end of the day he defused the situation without any harm to any of member of the public or property. I would call that a success. No one on here hits animals with every shot they've ever made and saying that most of us have rests/bipods and a still animal not an adrenaline filled stressed cow charging at us.
    sako75, Kscott, veitnamcam and 4 others like this.
    You know, if you need 100 rounds to kill a deer, maybe hunting isn't your sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    well how much danger was the cow really ? in a 50k zone with plenty of cop cars to at the least aleart others something was up so guess you could rule out crashes so long as no1 was directly infront of it would more than likely not go out of its way to maul anyone ....
    Have a look at the video again, the cow goes right past a disabled person on a wheelchair who was waiting at the pedestrian crossing, on the left hand side of the road. So she's not exactly in a position to get out of the way in a hurry if the cow even turned towards her.

Because the cops didn't know who else was on the road ahead, including any kids, they did the right job and stopped it. Even if it took 10 shots from an AR.

How not to kill a cow

I think the cop did the right thing, there was no other option imo,
    It is clear from the body language of the cow that any other options where we'll gone, make no mistake get between her and where she's going and prepare to get hit buy a 500kg train with feet.
    As was said worst case scenario would be some kids walking out a driveway.
    My issue at the start was the number of shots......but then not everyone knows how's to drop a cattle beast, and safe firing zones come into play.
    Makes the forum fun, people from different backgrounds with different opinions and skill sets.🏻

Oh and boaraxa next time I muster up a grumpy old bush cow that's lost her calf I'll put her in the yards and chase her round for an hour, then come jump in then you'll see how much danger there is

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    199p and Savage1 like this.

It is clear from the body language of the cow that any other options where we'll gone, make no mistake get between her and where she's going and prepare to get hit buy a 500kg train with feet.
    My issue at the start was the number of shots......but then not everyone knows how's to drop a cattle beast, and safe firing zones come into play.
    Makes the forum fun, people from different backgrounds with different opinions and skill sets.��

Oh and boaraxa next time I muster up a grumpy old bush cow that's lost her calf I'll put her in the yards and chase her round for an hour, then come jump in then you'll see how much danger there is

And it may even be a WHITE cow, or even BROWN or RED
    veitnamcam, ebf, BRADS and 1 others like this.

mine was black, Angus I guess
    BRADS and Gibo like this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    mine was black, Angus I guess
    They taste the best

this one didn't, tasted crap and that was with the help from my butcher mate who was with me when I shot it. Must of been it's diet or the full grown calf she had with her. Wanted both but had to concentrate on her, I thought she was going to eat me.
    Gibo likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Makes the forum fun, people from different backgrounds with different opinions and skill sets.🏻

any chance we should take up a collection "givea little"for dunny paper for boraxa
    after hes gone a round or two for a pound or two with Brads wee pet.
    I vividly remember my aunty being roughed up by a bloody mad heifer because the silly bitch thought her calf was being kidnapped.one of the kids walked up to it -it sqwuaked she spun and didnt hesitate -luckily she was able to scoop wee one up and biff her over the gate but hell she(aunty) took a hiding.he also had a bloody old dairy bull who charged the tractor once .both cases ended with application of .44/40slug out of the old winchester lever action. if we went near the stock whilst visiting you'd hear it 3 paddocks away.Voice like a foghorns fart had uncle mike!
    Oh yeah the saddest bit -the previous owners wife was drowned in the drain running through the property .she was on the tractor crossing the bridge when a cow charges-looking behind her at the cow -puts tractor wheel over edge -cocky found her pinned under the tractor in about 4'of eel ridden water!
    Sometimes me thinks if i was a cop and constantly copped all this shit from so called experts Id be turnin round and say "here fuck you -show me how its done "90%of em would about turn and run a bloody country mile or avoid it with typical pissweak excuse.
    us psych nurses cop this sort of shit too especially when we have to deal with aggro+++++specimens of DNA,Im still feeling the effects of a wee bit of full contact argy bargy with one who came at us like a PMT infested scrub bull two nights ago after hurling his hot meal at us -stew at high velocity is not exactly edible!!
    Last edited by kotuku; 25-08-2015 at 02:31 PM.
    Gibo, Tommy, Skatieguy and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    They taste the best
    Say what ya like still crazy in my view could just as easly been someone shot ...I grew up on a farm so I no how mad cows can go especially with a calf....so you can keep your toilet paper for wiping your patient's butts kotuku

We do a couple of organic beefys each year try and do a different breed each time so far the 2 best have been murry grey or belted Galloway

Say what ya like still crazy in my view could just as easly been someone shot ...I grew up on a farm so I no how mad cows can go especially with a calf....so you can keep your toilet paper for wiping your patient's butts kotuku

We do a couple of organic beefys each year try and do a different breed each time so far the 2 best have been murry grey or belted Galloway
    I was referring to your 'BLACK' call. Seemed way out of the BLUE in terms of the rest of the thread.

Just remember that your view doesn't include the lead up events, other efforts made to contain the beast, surrounding areas, firing zone, surrounding areas, officer's POV etc. However it did have a pretty embarrassing commentary.

I'm not saying it was ideal, 10+ shots in a built up area never will be, but what situation that Police face ever is? They're just normal people in uniform, not masters of every trade. I never pass negative judgement on what I don't have a decent amount of knowledge on.