Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree1592Likes

Thread: How's the recon going for the roar?

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Nice @Carpe Diem when do you think you will head back in to have a crack at the real thing....ie when do you think the roar will kick off in that region?
    Given the numbers we saw I don't think it's kicking off yet and is most likely still a ways off. Some animals were stripping velvet or had done already. We saw or heard no roaring and apart from a few Fallow family groups with smaller bucks and spikers in tow the bigger headed animals were all in boy groups of up to 5 or 6 animals, and a few solitary animals (1 Huge Sika Stag and a Couple of Bucks) just wandering around like they didn't have a care in the world.

Given last week consistently got up to about 28 degrees in temp following Dovi- apart from a few showers it's still far too hot and the overnights mild for things to kick off early.

I think we're still a ways off...

CD.
    Micky Duck and BSA270 like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and streams, its where life is clear, where the world makes most sense!

I put a game camera out on Sunday and there was no sign of the usual wallows having been used yet. I saw 3 yearlings and put up a couple of hinds in the area so hopeful for the roar. I should have taken my bow as I played with one yearling for about 10 minutes as it tried to work out if I was a threat or not. Got to withing about 10m of it before it fled. I did get a few photos on my phone but they were pretty crappy.
    Name:  IMG_2967[1].JPG
Views: 618
Size:  1.50 MB
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Great, snuck into a place to check it out and on the way out... right on dusk this fella popped out. All hard antler 1x side was pretty stripped, other was just starting.

Let's say, I need to start looking at a new spot .
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Scouser, Shearer, Mooseman and 4 others like this.

Went for a walk this afternoon soon as it got dark the the deer at the deer farm next to the bush block I was in were going off
    Micky Duck likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    The stags on the deer farm up the road were roaring yesterday afternoon, first time I’ve heard them this year.

I saw a wallow that had been opened up about a week or so ago. Then a stag I shot in the area 2 days ago had been wallowing quite heavily. Muddy legs and belly.

He shook himself just before I shot him and a shower of water came off him.

Name:  IMG_6259.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  1.87 MB

I went looking for stags last weekend and they seem to be hunkered down as expected. But I hear a few half ass roars. Public land.
    Tahr and Moa Hunter like this.

big boys on deer farms were going off last Sunday morning in the misty rain...the majority werent yet in dopey mode.say a few in hard antler stripped off but not coloured up properly yet.....
    still only first weekend of autumn..... no frost yet..... hopefully the big fellas can get end away a few times before being shot.should be a really good year for antler growth down here as weather has been absolutely fanfarkintastic for vegetation growth..terrible for grain crops but the maize is 10 feet tall.
    cb14, tetawa, Sideshow and 1 others like this.

First hunts for awhile in the last two weeks. Saw a good rut pad in one area and sign of a ok stag so might go back for a look later.
    Today hunted 6 hours in a new block, couple of deer marks but not much.
    Managed to find a good wallow that been used by a hind couple days ago but no sign of a stag. still, put up a game camera to see whats going to come there.
    near the end of the hunt oi found a ridge quite a distance away that had sign of a stag so maybe he end up at the wallow as only wallow i found all day.

Been surfcasting rather than hunting this year but i start to get out abit now
    kukuwai likes this.

Haven't done any recon but I will just hunt the places I found a lot of wallows/activity last year and hope something happens.
    Carbine, viper and Micky Duck like this.

Jus
    Have been doing recon for the last 4 months, plus knocking hind populations in my spots down to a 3rd of their numbers, atleast trying to. Hopefully the stags will compete hard if their are fewer hinds to go round. Have 3 mature stags on my watch list, was going to get out after one of them this weekend except for catching bloody covid! Checked out a completely new spot a few weeks back that I e scouted with google earth and nz topo maps, a few animals around and a half decent stag which is my best so far so I couldn’t help but shoot him. The fat on the bugger was out of this world, over an inch on his rump! Name:  EADD6194-89D3-48F5-B7C2-99E6CCD8995B.jpeg
Views: 505
Size:  3.78 MB
    Tahr, Trout, erniec and 16 others like this.

@Jus pretty sure that should be in the 'stags shot' thread not the recon thread

Nice head, congrats

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Sideshow likes this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Hope your lungs are okay after coivd @Jus nice head by the way good going!
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Managed to get out for a walk with my dad on Saturday up a river we might hunt on the long weekend in April. Saw two deer but unfortunately no shots presented. Saw a big pig but it was too quick for me to shoot. Judging by the sign in the creek, a stag seems to be hanging around a big group of hinds and yearlings already. Someone had been up recently as there was a fresh carcass of a hind in the flats. Does anyone know if 17-20th of April will be too late for Urewera roaring action? Nevertheless good fitness as we managed to score Upper Glaisnock first period this year so that should be interesting.
    Tahr and superdiver like this.

Friend went for a drive on the island, saw a 8point buck and 4 Hinds, he reckoned the buck was keeping an eye on the ladies