Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Hunting fails and misfires

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I had a problem trying to get the bolt into my rifle. Would have spent a couple of minutes fluffing about turning he bolt face, lining everything up, gently slide it in so nothing gets out of line, ... no go, slide it out check it again, repeat the process, ... scratch the head some more. Finally look at the other end of the bolt abd the bloody handle is on the wrong way round, ... Yes for some reason @TimeRiders left hand bolt doesn't fit my right handed rifle.

Good thing is I did it quietly and I don't think @MattyP noticed me do the old switcheroo and grab the RIGHT one from the bag.
    Lucky for you it was in the bag... @Pengy could learn from this
    Toby likes this.

He could...but as he has stuffed up twice on the bolt front already, I doubt that he would
    Uplandstalker likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Do this almost every week.

Look at weather all week look forward to the weekend and getting out for a walk. Text the wife "working this weekend?" "yep"

FAIL.
    Neckshot, BRADS and Uplandstalker like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Do this almost every week.

Look at weather all week look forward to the weekend and getting out for a walk. Text the wife "working this weekend?" "yep"

FAIL.
    that's called "Fuck my life"
    veitnamcam likes this.

Not such a hunting misfire more like missing hunting for me feb 13 made redundant ( money good tax bill wasn't) new job march no holidays for 12 months got a couple of hunts in lookin forward to new lot holidays in March 14 just in time for roar & rut, mid Jan workin round home fracture ankle in 3 places 9 screws a plate & 2 pins later foot up in a cast for 8 weeks just starting to walk with crotches now won't be climbing any hills for a few more months yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    that's called "Fuck my life"
    Think it should be called Fuck the wife
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by optio View Post
    Not such a hunting misfire more like missing hunting for me feb 13 made redundant ( money good tax bill wasn't) new job march no holidays for 12 months got a couple of hunts in lookin forward to new lot holidays in March 14 just in time for roar & rut, mid Jan workin round home fracture ankle in 3 places 9 screws a plate & 2 pins later foot up in a cast for 8 weeks just starting to walk with crotches now won't be climbing any hills for a few more months yet.
    Bugger!

Woodhill Ballot. Got out of the car with my CG 6.5x55 and had the bolt for my Husky 6.5x55. A nice day walking through the forest

First roar hunt with my Sako75 308. Four of us flew into the hut and found I had left the mag at home. Meant I would be hunting with one up the spout

Mate and I had spent 4 weeks planning a hunt for the next morning in a promising looking area behind the hut. Hadn’t told the others and was busting my nuts to get there. Next morning couple of mates beat us out the door and said they were going to “our spot” cnuts. Dispute broke out and they were off. Dragged my sorry arse across the river and up a ridge swearing and cursing. Heard a shot which got me seething with fury Decided to call it quits as it was getting late and go back to hut bush crashing down to the river. Spooked a stag resting in king fern on the way down and dropped it with the one shot. Got back to the hut and mates were there. Said area was shit and no sign. They hadn’t heard the shot earlier that day. Got camera out and showed photo of the deer hanging in the tree 1km or so up the river. I had a smile from one ear to the other

Edit - if you hang a deer in a tree on the side of a hill wrap a fluro vest around it. I always take one for that reason. Would not have found this deer the next day if I hadn't done it. Also used a blaze beanie hanging from a tree on another occasion
    Last edited by sako75; 27-03-2014 at 08:21 AM.
    gadgetman, Toby, Scouser and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    First roar hunt with my Sako75 308. Four of us flew into the hut and found I had left the mag at home. Meant I would be hunting with one up the spout

Mate and I had spent 4 weeks planning a hunt for the next morning in a promising looking area behind the hut. Hadn’t told the others and was busting my nuts to get there. Next morning couple of mates beat us out the door and said they were going to “our spot” cnuts. Dispute broke out and they were off. Dragged my sorry arse across the river and up a ridge swearing and cursing. Heard a shot which got me seething with fury Decided to call it quits as it was getting late and go back to hut bush crashing down to the river. Spooked a stag resting in king fern on the way down and dropped it with the one shot. Got back to the hut and mates were there. Said area was shit and no sign. They hadn’t heard the shot earlier that day. Got camera out and showed photo of the deer hanging in the tree 1km or so up the river. I had a smile from one ear to the other
    Thats a great story. glass half full even if you didnt know it until the stag showed up
    sako75 likes this.

Mine would be when I missed a fallow at 20M!!!! The little bugger took me by surprise as it was on the track when we rounded a bend (TSK thought it was a horse ) missed at 20M and then the buger ran towards us..........didnt reload until he had performed a slidding turn
    10M from us and all I saw was his ass bounding off into the distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Mine would be when I missed a fallow at 20M!!!! The little bugger took me by surprise as it was on the track when we rounded a bend (TSK thought it was a horse ) missed at 20M and then the buger ran towards us..........didnt reload until he had performed a slidding turn
    10M from us and all I saw was his ass bounding off into the distance.
    thats gotta rip ur undies you almost could have smacked him over the head with ur rifle butt
    OPCz

If in doubt double tap

Quote Originally Posted by Dynastar27 View Post
    thats gotta rip ur undies you almost could have smacked him over the head with ur rifle butt

That reminds me of my first deer. I was on private land in TP spotlighting. Four fallow were spotted under the pines and I shot one and dropped it. The other three disappeared and then next minute out of the darkness one ran straight past me nearly bowling me over. Gave me the shits!! Could have spear tackled the hua if I knew he was comming

oh thats gotta suck

im still a green horn so im bound to have a few Fails in the coming years lol

and i have rushy teaching me the ins and outs
    OPCz

If in doubt double tap

Quote Originally Posted by Dynastar27 View Post
    oh thats gotta suck

im still a green horn so im bound to have a few Fails in the coming years lol

and i have rushy teaching me the ins and outs
    That should save you a fair few f ups