Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Hunting with Hearing aids

Used to have 100%ACC cover as industrial deafness from foundry work since my early 20's now the only pay half.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    Dusty Fog likes this.

Have used hearing aids for past 10years, my hearing is slowly deteriorating. Use them hunting, even then I struggle to hear deer in the bush. Hunting with my son really highlights how big the gap in my hearing is. He’ll hear deer move off 30-40 yards away,I’m oblivious. Have tried using electronic ear muffs as well as the hearing aids, and this really helps but can’t wear them this way for long periods.
    tetawa likes this.

When we get a cure for tinnitus I’ll be really happy, hearing aids I have have been tuned to take some out, but the ringing is relentless
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    When we get a cure for tinnitus I’ll be really happy, hearing aids I have have been tuned to take some out, but the ringing is relentless
    That is my greatest problem also, near impossible to get the hearing test correct with constant "ringing"

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Have used hearing aids for past 10years, my hearing is slowly deteriorating. Use them hunting, even then I struggle to hear deer in the bush. Hunting with my son really highlights how big the gap in my hearing is. He’ll hear deer move off 30-40 yards away,I’m oblivious. Have tried using electronic ear muffs as well as the hearing aids, and this really helps but can’t wear them this way for long periods.
    Have relied on a dog for my hearing discrepancies for many years. Now back to square one starting a pup again. Try and hunt where hearing isn't the main factor in contacting deer.
    chainsaw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Have relied on a dog for my hearing discrepancies for many years. Now back to square one starting a pup again. Try and hunt where hearing isn't the main factor in contacting deer.

A cure for tinnitus ranks with a cure for the common cold. Most current hearing instrument models can deliver a variable amount to white or narrow band noise to provide a degree of distraction from your tinnitus but normally the level of noise needed to fully mask the tinnitus is way too high to let you hear all the important real sound. In practice, hearing real sound better gives many people useful tinnitus relief, ie, amplification alone.

You just have to accept that tinnitus is an associated and expected -symptom- of the primary sensorineural hearing loss, so during a hearing test (audiogram), the results are limited by your actual hearing sensitivity, not the tinnitus. I used to explain to patients in this regard that "you're deaf because you're deaf", not limited by the tinnitus.
    Jake77 likes this.

I've had hearing aids for couple years now but only wear them at work and at home. Haven't used them out hunting ,i am worried about losing them pushing through thick bush etc and getting them wet from rain or sweat or forgetting were i put them LOL.
    And i also wear contact lenses for distance vision but need reading classes to see up close, so it just seems a big hassle with all the shit i carry into the bush.
    But after reading these threads i mite try wearing my aids out hunting, in the right conditions they mite help, like quietly sneaking in on that jap stag,or being able to hear animals moving around that i cant otherwise hear. cheers

I think Mick Jagger put it best...." What a drag it is getting old "

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    A cure for tinnitus ranks with a cure for the common cold. Most current hearing instrument models can deliver a variable amount to white or narrow band noise to provide a degree of distraction from your tinnitus but normally the level of noise needed to fully mask the tinnitus is way too high to let you hear all the important real sound. In practice, hearing real sound better gives many people useful tinnitus relief, ie, amplification alone.

You just have to accept that tinnitus is an associated and expected -symptom- of the primary sensorineural hearing loss, so during a hearing test (audiogram), the results are limited by your actual hearing sensitivity, not the tinnitus. I used to explain to patients in this regard that "you're deaf because you're deaf", not limited by the tinnitus.
    Had 50 plus years of it. Hearing deteriorated further with time, tinnitus increased.

I too used electronic earmuffs in the bush and thought it a revelation. Now after a set of these Phonak beasties I'm really happy on the stalk and they definitely help with the high-frequency stuff.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and streams, its where life is clear, where the world makes most sense!

I've lived with 50% hearing loss all my life. Sometimes I wonder how I actually shoot a animal..deer especially.....they must be suicidal or sick of life....

Sent from my SM-T225 using Tapatalk

Yes hearing aids are great.......until you pull the trigger! I leave mine out while hunting and prefer to wear electric muffs or at least have them at the ready.Must find out if my supplier has noise cancelling aids,but having just shelled out 10k for the current ones! I think the muffs are a more practical answer. I find even working with power tools, grinders and the likes its best to leave the aids out.

Easy fix- grow an Afro. Wind turbulence 100% gone