Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Hunting on Horseback

My dad flies his falcons from a horse during the crow seasonName:  IMG_0095.JPG
Views: 482
Size:  867.6 KB

And that was with my ex who is big time into horses stuffName:  IMG_0160.JPG
Views: 479
Size:  615.2 KB

And this one did not mind me shooting a bow over his headName:  IMG_0282.JPG
Views: 478
Size:  525.1 KB

Year there was a video on here about it. Lamas that is.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Year there was a video on here about it. Lamas that is.
    There is an outfit near hanmer springs that used to do it

AWS
    I used to run my trapline around the house by horseback in the winter. I had a Perchron that was broke to drive and ride. During the summer and fall I'd use him to skid logs. He was kind of a character, everywhere we went from a field to forest off trail he was sure there was a fence there and I would have to dismount and walk him through the first time after one time that was stored in his memory and we never had to do that there again. He didn't care for me to shoot off his back but I could dismount and stand along side of him, he needed to see the rifle and then stand calmly while I shot. It never bothered him to throw dead critters over his back. Sorry no pictures as they are all on paper not digital, I need to scan some one of these days. This was up in Northern Minnesota. He had an easy walk and canter but a bone jarring trot.

Friwi, that is an impressive photo of your father, horse and falcon. Shooting a bow of horse back looks interesting, our native Americans did a lot of that buffalo hunting on the plains, they had horses long before the western movement of non-native americans settled the west.
    Last edited by AWS; 23-02-2019 at 08:30 AM.

My mate and me had a couple of of horses we took onto the tops a couple of times,on some bigger trips . Took us heaps of planning ,preparation and was a lot of work. The advantage was we got respect and access to the High country stations we asked , got to see and hunt some wicked country . Disadvantages where finding water and keeping them watered , teathering them somehow so they diddnt dissapear , comming across obsticles like swamps (trust me you dont realise how many ) . As far a hunting went yes it worked , but would have been easier with out them . To us it was the whole picture , when it was going good it was such a good feeling . Give it a go id say , but dont under prepare
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

It is very handy if the old nag is used to wearing hobbles, And it's only allowed if you use a lever action.

If possible something around 15 to 15.2 hands is heaps big enough. Try chucking up a decent animal onto something 16hh or bigger gets old real fast, also a breast plate is a must and a crupper not a bad idea.

Sorry to bring back up such an old thread but thought it’s easier than starting new one.

Any reason that outfitters in NZ don’t offer any horse back hunting basing off a similar model to the North American style of hunting. My opinion would be that majority of outfits are behind the wire so easier to 4wd/side by side or use helicopter. But just a thought I was wondering about if there are other reasons?

Used to be quite common to see guys coming through on horses up the horomunga and have them stop for a cuppa. One guy that basicaly lived in there had a couple roaming around his hut

Using horses to access hunting areas is brutal on firearms when a rider takes a fall, todays rifles at a metre-and-a-half long snag every overhanging branch one comes across. When asked by people using my horses "Can one shoot from the saddle" I reply "Yes" (one must be careful when asking questions)...."and don't put bullet holes in their ears".

Quote Originally Posted by High Country Boy View Post
    Sorry to bring back up such an old thread but thought it’s easier than starting new one.

Any reason that outfitters in NZ don’t offer any horse back hunting basing off a similar model to the North American style of hunting. My opinion would be that majority of outfits are behind the wire so easier to 4wd/side by side or use helicopter. But just a thought I was wondering about if there are other reasons?
    Cost and work involved in keeping horses would be a major reason I would think. I'm no expert though.
    I know a guy in Idaho who ran outfitted mountain hunts utilising horses. Many horses. Visited his place once and asked where all his horses were ... I couldn't see any on his ranch. Told me he leases his horses seasonally apart from a very few kept for use by he and family. Looking after a herd of horses is a full time job and he didn't have time and couldn't afford to employ people to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    Using horses to access hunting areas is brutal on firearms when a rider takes a fall, todays rifles at a metre-and-a-half long snag every overhanging branch one comes across. When asked by people using my horses "Can one shoot from the saddle" I reply "Yes" (one must be careful when asking questions)...."and don't put bullet holes in their ears".
    I am a dedicated horse man always have been but they are not for green horns - they add another level to a hunting trip provided you like horses because things can go very wrong - I have seen my share of bent scopes and in one incident a stock snapped in half - experience with horses is a must for at least some in the party - you may need to shoe one on the trip or remove a shoe that has come loose - picking the right horse is a must not so critical with a saddle horse but definitely with pack horses - the gear required is not cheap either - having seen horses throw hissy fits they are not to be underestimated - I have seen a horse throw a total berky being shod and smashed the farriers ute door in - a bucking session with a pack horse is quite a sight but the damaged gear after woods is not - but with good horses -good gear they add another dimension to a hunting trip - be carefull where you take them though they are hard on tracks - not to much on bulldozed tracks of course - but narrow steep wet tracks they can do some damage -

A family friend some years ago found the skeleton of a horse in the Urewera's that was still tethered to a tree by halter and lead rope, we have always wondered what the story behind that was.
    William likes this.

Bear in mind that there are bugger all places on Public Conservation land that you are permitted to take a horse (not that it seems to slow down some sectors of the population). Each district may have only one-two locations. ...And those usually tie up with areas that permit 4x4s to play, so generally not ideal.

i.e. go to DoC website, punch in horse riding East Coast and you get only one permitted location : Whirinaki. Put in the whole of the Waikato and you only get the Pureoras.
    Last edited by XR500; 12-07-2023 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Bear in mind that there are bugger all places on Public Conservation land that you are permitted to take a horse (not that it seems to slow down some sectors of the population). Each district may have only one-two locations. ...And those usually tie up with areas that permit 4x4s to play, so generally not ideal.

i.e. go to DoC website, punch in horse riding East Coast and you get only one permitted location : Whirinaki. Put in the whole of the Waikato and you only get the Pureoras.
    Where I am on Thompson's Track in the Kaimai-Mamaku Forest Park one can access a small part of the park with horses as the track is a public road and the area most hunted is under Enviroment Waikato control, EV have no signs up and nor does DoC as to where boundaries are, so one can ride up to the Hundred Acres, leave the horse on EV land and hunt DoC land....at the moment there is no quad or 4X4 access on Thompsons, one can get through on a motorbike (needs some skill level though)....if anyone wants to do a weekend away and wants a pack horse to get their gear up there (one doesn't need to ride but can lead) I could possibly help out as I have horses and pack saddles.