Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree338Likes

Thread: hunting incompetence

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    @40mm
    I heard the first half of that story already. The guy that told me was really talking you up as a legend.
    What's it worth to keep my mouth shut?
    Legend aye? well I best let out the true story then......

Once upon a time there was a 'great white hunter' who traveled the land in search of threatened species that he could preserve for eternity on his wall for all to see.
    He had already 'saved' a Kiwi, Kakapo, Kea, several Wood Pigeons and a Dodo.
    All that was left was the elusive 'semiautomaticus rifleblackplasticus' He looked far and wide for sign of one, but found only depression and misery. For where there had once been joy and laughter there was now only the odd lonely .303 case tarnishing in the grass.
    All the 'semiautomaticus rifleblackplasticus' had already been taken! The 'great white hunter' was sad, he had heard great tales of these wonderful creatures but through all his efforts he just could not find one!
    He determined to find out why there was none left, so he started asking logical questions to illogical creatures known as 'ignoramus, governmentus'
    The poor hunter's head started to hurt when the 'ignoramus, governmentus' answered his questions, the illogical creatures made no sense so he tried a fortune cookie and it told him the following:

"When the horse blows, the 'semiautomaticus rifleblackplasticus' bend"

Ran out of steam, story over boys and girls.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Fear not O great 40mm. All is not lost. Some recently escaped from an enclosure in the Manawatu. They are out there. I'm sure they have already met up with more of their own kind and they will live on forever. Just not where us "semiautomticus rfileblackplasticus desirusses" will be able to associate with them. We will more than likely see a few on the tele in the future which have been captured. The individual who was with it when it was captured will likely be treated to free accommodation in a luxurious resort, with free food, entertainment, healthcare etc. Mean while, us "semiautomticus rfileblackplasticus desirusses" will continue to work our backsides off to generate enough income to pay enough tax to keep this reward system rolling.
    Well that only increases my desire to hunt one down! maybe a pair so that they might mate and repopulate? One can dream of such a paradise!
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    Well that only increases my desire to hunt one down! maybe a pair so that they might mate and repopulate? One can dream of such a paradise!
    I think they will generally be found only within their own national parks, ie, Police and the NZDF.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Out hunting with the old man when I was young on the family farm, up early, way out the back we go. Mob of pigs spotted feeding away, Dad says stay here and i'll stalk in.

Off he goes, weaving in and out of the ridges and folds, covers the last 100m on his guts like a panther, to get within 15m of said pigs and just lays there, here I am watching from 200m wondering if he is waiting for the big sow to turn side on or he is waiting for the boar to come out of the fern and into the paddock...?

20 mins go by and I think, I better get over there... On arrival I whisper "you gonna shoot or what!?" Dad turns and looks at me rather sheepishly, "f*ckin bolts back at the house!"

It was still a good morning for a walk!
    Warm Barrels!

Banned
    I once was in the Blue mountains, and sneaked round a corner with my Swedish Mauser, and a black deer stood up and stared at me from three metres away. I had my rifle pointed in his direction as it happened except I couldnt shoot him. I had my thumb stuck in between the half closed bolt and the scope - I couldn't close the bolt and I couldn't get my thumb out either. We looked at each other for quite a while, while I struggled and wriggled. The deer came over and actually gave me a hand, but neither of us could figure it out.
    As soon as it left, my thumb came out like it was nothing. Now you get a scoped Mauser and try to jam it with your thumb on purpose. It's impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    Mate dropped his new benelli into the lake 10 mins before shooting time opening morning once,had to strip off into shoulder deep crappy Huntly lake water and feel around in the mud with his toes then dunk under and grab the gun,stripped it down best he could and ready to go just in time for first light.
    He should have bought a Baikal....Those things are easy to clean...open the cation stick it inthe lake, wriggle it and cycle the bolt - sorted.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt1QV3DFUrQ
    veitnamcam likes this.

My Turn,
    Some 5-6 years back I was over by Waiawa Hut in Te Urewera Park with a couple of mates and my young Dog. It was spring so we had done an evening and sunrise hunt up and down the River flats. So back to the hut for breakfast. Then my mates decided they would do a loop up a side creek to what looked like a couple of grassy areas and back around.
    I was felling a bit sore so decided to stay in the valley and go explore another side creek that looked like it may have some clearings.
    About 11 am I was walking down the main river with my Rifle strapped to my pack and ammo in the pack. Just walking through a small punga grove on a bend in the river and the dog freezes up. Thats odd I thought, 11 is a bit late for hunted bush deer to be out in the open, looked out into the river and there on a gravel island was a hind and a yearling.
    By the time I dropped down, got my rifle and ammo out and was ready to shoot i was watching them disapair into the bush on the other side.
    My Dad gave me shit over that when I told him. Your in animal country, keep your rifle ready. (I was sore and using my sticks so did not want to carry my rifle plus it was almost midday and what self respecting deer is out wandering around at that time of the day)

Came back the following morning and got one of them for the pot.
    Z
    PS The Ongaonga turned me back in the side creek as I was not felling like climbing up to find a way around it.
    Micky Duck and Been Upto like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Yeah, waiting up half the night for a troublesome pig to pop out of the bush.

The pig appeared. I took the shot. 83 metres from a stable position and missed
    I shot a pig back in the good old days. 10 metres in the neck. It ran away with a sore neck.

Ok the same hunt I walked past a 200 pound boar 5 metres away from it on the other side of the ridge.

They're tough .

Got up at sparrows, to lay in wait on a nice hill that the sun would rise on.......as expected, a nice fat spiker walks into view....70 mtrs away

I, still being a newbie, though I better aim for the top of the shoulder as he's high up.......missed the shot, he moves over about 10 meters, I'm now taking a
    standing shot and my adrenalin is moving the cross hairs all over the place.......missed the shot, now I'm fukn frantic,

Slide another round onto the breech.........yes you've guessed it missed the shot..........found out after the trip I was supposed to aim LOW not high....

Made me feel a lot better, plus the 8 pointed I dropped three days later........never give up.....
    dannyb and Been Upto like this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Someone once said, it wouldn't be hunting if you got one every time. You learn every time you go out, that's what makes us better hunters. I can't tell you how many times something outside the square has happened but you remember those things and you know to watch out for those things in the future. Keep your chin up
    Scouser and Been Upto like this.
    When hunting think safety first

Quote Originally Posted by Shootm View Post
    I can beat the lot of you.
    A couple of years ago took my daughter out one arvo to see the hinds I had seen in the morning at the back of the farm. Rookie mistake only taking the camera and saw this, could of cried as he was only 130yds away.

Attachment 110049
    That photo is still an awesome trophy.
    Shootm, stingray, Scouser and 2 others like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

northdude
    Was sitting in a spot once watching a few fallow for a while before deciding which one to shoot finaly decided to take a shot raised rifle and just as i shouldered it the fukn scope fell off and didnt have any tools to put it back on so just sat and watched the deer

Took a guy out last week who had never shot a deer,but had a nice rifle and scope on top.Done about 3 trips hunting in the last 4 yrs.So to give him the best chance,i left my t3 at home.We walked about 2 ks up a river bed edge of matagari and gorse.I said we might see or hear a stag or 2.Well just on dark a stag roared,well buggar me a stag and 4 hinds appeared about 150 mtra away,i said to Silvio,watch this.I put my hands together and let out a good mean roar.The stag turned and started trotting towards us.Silvio,panics fk he s charging us,I said well fkn shoot him.20 mtrs away the stag stops and steers at us standing on egde of matagari. I said to Silvio,shoot him,Silvio says oh I got to get rifle ready,wtf are you doing I said,oh bolts in the pack with the mag.A 10 pointer gives a grunt and turns away running towards his girls.I was didn't know wether to laugh or cry.But there was lessons learnt on the way back to the truck.
    Good luck next time Silvio.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Took a guy out last week who had never shot a deer,but had a nice rifle and scope on top.Done about 3 trips hunting in the last 4 yrs.So to give him the best chance,i left my t3 at home.We walked about 2 ks up a river bed edge of matagari and gorse.I said we might see or hear a stag or 2.Well just on dark a stag roared,well buggar me a stag and 4 hinds appeared about 150 mtra away,i said to Silvio,watch this.I put my hands together and let out a good mean roar.The stag turned and started trotting towards us.Silvio,panics fk he s charging us,I said well fkn shoot him.20 mtrs away the stag stops and steers at us standing on egde of matagari. I said to Silvio,shoot him,Silvio says oh I got to get rifle ready,wtf are you doing I said,oh bolts in the pack with the mag.A 10 pointer gives a grunt and turns away running towards his girls.I was didn't know wether to laugh or cry.But there was lessons learnt on the way back to the truck.
    Good luck next time Silvio.
    I think he might just go another 4 years without a deer showing that sort of form
    When hunting think safety first

Up the Waimana in early '90s, coming back over to the car parked at the (rangers?) hut on the road after a couple of nights over the hill. About 50yds short of the road a hind ran across the track chased by a foxy sized dog, so surprised all I could do was fumble with the bolt trying to get one up the spout as she ran back toward me and into the muzzle, nearly knocking rifle out of my hands. All the 2 lads behind me could do was piss themselves laughing.