Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: Hunting Lunches

Gone but not forgotten
    Back when I was a teenager it was nothing for lunch - a milo at 3:30am for breakfast then out all day on the horses chasing pigs, possum skins or goats, usually home about 6pm for tea.
    More recently, I used to take quite a bit of food, like most of a cold meatlovers pizza, but actually find I feel better if I don't eat too much, so currently its a couple of ham sandwiches, or maybe a cold pie and a sandwich if passing a bakery. And the dog always gets her share, so I only get about 3/4 of the food if I'm lucky.

just take more snack food = nuts (cashews), or nut/fruit mix, jerky or salami, dried fruit, tuna pockets, energy bars(ones with plenty of protein).
    Moa Hunter likes this.

This looks amazing. Might make this for dinner one day

day hunts, mainly salami and crackers, I tend to find personally id rather more short breaks snacking than one long break with a larger feed, just me though
    RV1 likes this.

Whatever I can find in the pantry, no particular favourites. But for longer tramps salt and vinegar chippies as they have every thing you need.

Carbs
    Fat
    Salt and vinegar
    veitnamcam, Bryan and Micky Duck like this.

If I take a snack, tin of "Texas strawberries" can make a brew in the tin after.

OSM bars
    Bag of mixed nuts & raisins & dried apricots
    Tin of sardines
    500ml of V

There’s a couple of emergency oat bars stashed away in secret places in my hunting packs.

I carry a litre of water too and often refill it at the springs in this kind of weather.

I find that what I carry for energy on the hill is more than sufficient on one fundamental assumption… I’ve eaten a mega breakfast with all the good stuff.

I often hunt with a bunch of guys - all pig hunters - who are shockers for bad morning habits. Think along the lines of breakfast = multiple coffees and smokes. Because I am usually quartermaster general, mess sergeant (and ordnance officer), I have taken to forcing them to eat my full breakfasts, with a side of cereal and all. They object every time but not one of them has ever complained of feeling hungry until at least 3pm.
    Just...say...the...word

i go to reduced to clear for cheap protein bars and high calorie food, My mate accuses me of the most unholy diet. However cold pies out of a bakery from the day before last a long time in the pack and have fat, carbs and protein!

otherwise it is cheese slices, crackers and jerky. maybe a carrot.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bang View Post
    Personally I go all out on one day missions as a few more grams and bit more bulk really don't matter. A big pink icing boston bun full of butter, fresh fruit, left over cottage pie.... Save the osms and dry salami wraps for longer trips.
    the trick with boston buns is to flip the top half over so icing is in the middle.......
    lately Ive been lazy and just chuck bag of potatoe chips in,took two BBQ mutton chops yesterday as well as the chips,brought half bag chips home....
    must go buy some more boston buns for next time,thanks for the reminder...ALWAYS used to be my go to lunch...
    Moa Hunter and bang like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    the trick with boston buns is to flip the top half over so icing is in the middle...
    But remember to butter the bottom half before flipping the top. The only way to eat boston buns!
    Micky Duck, RUMPY and bang like this.

Ummm I dont know! Hang on Ill just beat the porter and find out whats on offer.....come here boy
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

JLF
    Mantecol, the inevitable dessert, for after eating, to carry in the backpack and for waiting at night.
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.
    There is still gunpowder left, the Grim Reaper can wait.

Not a fan of salamis and processed meats like that. I grab what ever is available in the fridge, pork or mutton sandwiches real butter, tomato sauce, fruit , can of cream rice, packet of chit chats something along those lines.
    Monk and Moa Hunter like this.

^ I've always wondered if animals scent those processed meats easily.