Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Hunting in Trail Running Shoes

Hunting in Trail Running Shoes

In my last few missions, the boots kept getting wet from numerous stream crossings. They are water proof, meaning that once water gets inside, they'll never dry out. Having wet feet all day isn't fun for the skin and the nails. Much more likely to get blisters.

I've also tried hiking in boots and carrying a pair of old sneakers for stream crossing, but it adds to the weight and feels inefficient.

This leads me wondering, does anyone have experience hunting in non-water proof trail running shoes?

The pros that I can think of are:
    - They are lighter than boots and should save energy with every step, it all adds up
    - Having thinner fabric and being non-water proof, means they are easier to dry once wet

The cons:
    - Less protection against prickly plants
    - More likely to roll an ankle

Above is what I suspect, but would be good to hear someone with real world experience using them.

Cheers

Caretaker
    Better grip in the rocky Kaweka alpine zones

Used them plenty of times
    BRADS and Synthetic like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Probably not the best for carrying heavy loads but apart from that they're great for grip and if you get minimalist ones you can feel everything under your feet. When you cross a stream most of the water should squish out.your feet will stil be damp but never mind.
    Synthetic likes this.

Love bush stalking in my trail shoes, I have Inov8 xtalon 265.....with waterproof socks on wet days, use an old pair of sneakers.for the creek crossings then into the dry trail shoes

Hamish

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
    ANTSMAN, Synthetic and RV1 like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Synthetic likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Do what we used to do with Bullers: heat up a 6 inch nail red hot and burn a couple of holes in the instep. red hot nail means all the synthetic fibres get melted and won't start unravelling. Small holes means very few stones will make their way in, and in the instep means the shoe acts a bit like a pump, and pushes the water out the holes.

Anywho, worked with Bullers.....
    doinit, tetawa, Grey Kiwi and 4 others like this.

Have done some goat shooting in tail running boots, 2-3 hour stints. Great for walking, good grip but they do wear out faster than heavy boots.
    I ran into issues sidling around hills on uneven ground and when I could not see the ground under the grass and ferns. came close to doing an ankle a couple of times.
    https://www.altrarunning.com/shop/me...ariationId=000

Mine were what they called MSR Mud Snow and Rain, so that's American crap. Soon had wet feet from the grass at 6am let alone a creek crossing. But they do dry out fast.
    I do like the really wide toe box as it make your feet feel very stable on the ground. Do want to void the odd sharp sticking up stone as the sole is not thick and tough like a tramping boot. I would buy them or something just a little heavier again if I was hunting farm land and Bush margins from farm land.
    Z
    Synthetic likes this.

Just some bloke
    Yep, I do a fair amount in trail runners. Know their limits and they are great.

I'll use the boots if its scree slopes, snowy/icy, nicer to kick the side of the foot in and holds its edge better.
    Synthetic likes this.

Not great in tussock or farm fringes but real good for the valley floor.
    Synthetic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    Love bush stalking in my trail shoes, I have Inov8 xtalon 265.....with waterproof socks on wet days, use an old pair of sneakers.for the creek crossings then into the dry trail shoes

Hamish

Tell me about waterproof socks please. What's the downside...do your feet sweat like a b*stard? Smell?
    Synthetic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Tell me about waterproof socks please. What's the downside...do your feet sweat like a b*stard? Smell?
    No downside...except the big hole in the top

Synthetic likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
    In my last few missions, the boots kept getting wet from numerous stream crossings. They are water proof, meaning that once water gets inside, they'll never dry out. Having wet feet all day isn't fun for the skin and the nails. Much more likely to get blisters.

I've also tried hiking in boots and carrying a pair of old sneakers for stream crossing, but it adds to the weight and feels inefficient.

This leads me wondering, does anyone have experience hunting in non-water proof trail running shoes?

The pros that I can think of are:
    - They are lighter than boots and should save energy with every step, it all adds up
    - Having thinner fabric and being non-water proof, means they are easier to dry once wet

The cons:
    - Less protection against prickly plants
    - More likely to roll an ankle

Above is what I suspect, but would be good to hear someone with real world experience using them.

Cheers
    Yeah, I've started wearing salomon trail running shoes for the past few years, mate,
    Only for day hunts with a light day bag, my ankles are cooked from years of moto, so I need boots for heavy pack carrying.
    Light, fast, they dry quickly and accutully make your ankles stronger because of the range of motion in a shoe, I haven't rolled one yet.
    While not extreme terrain, I'm using them in theres still some bloody nasty stuff about.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BRADS; 23-10-2023 at 08:23 AM.
    7mmsaum and Synthetic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    I use the sealskinz ones with a thin merino liner.
    With a puttie they stay pretty dry.
    Make sure your pants,or whatever are over the puttie or the water tracks in real quick.
    Feet stink as much as they do in other socks just need to wash and dry at the end of the day.
    The seal at the top is pretty good if your sizing is correct and the puttie elastic top helps too.
    But you don't spend time standing around in knee deep water.
    I have a pair of Lowa desert type boots I intend to try the water will go in and out of them real quick but the socks should look after my feet.
    One of the reason I have gone to these is the chemo nerve damage has buggered up the feeling in my feet and the signals are are crook so need to look after them.
    Strummer and Synthetic like this.

Salomon trail runners for me also.
    I’ve tried heaps (Salomon, inov-8, Saucony etc.) and found the really light ones with thin soles don’t offer me enough cushioning from rocks underfoot and my feet hurt. Plus with very little rand they wear out or get damaged.
    I settled on the slightly heavier XA Pros, still only 440 grams with a decent toe box.
    Other decent options are the La Sportiva Ultra Raptor and Merrell Moab shoes)
    Be wary of published sizes as each brand varies quite a lot.
    The 1952 British expedition to Everest stated that one pound on your feet is worth five in you pack and this energy expenditure has been confirmed by exhaled gas analysis more recently.
    Synthetic likes this.

I use Solomon Speedcross shoes from time to time on short hunt’s . Waterproof as tissue paper but dry out quick if ground is dry. No protection from gorse etc. Good traction on wet ground until sole stud pattern wears down. Ankle support isn’t so important to me, I try and watch where I’m putting my feet. Much quieter in bush that way. Alright carrying 30+ Kg loads. Weight isn’t so important to me, I’m not climbing Mt Everest. As stated in other threads though, I do tend to wear boots all day most days. There’s good dryfeet socks out there if wet feet bother you. As to weight of boots, you get used to what you’re wearing. Harden the fuck up.