Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Hunting in Trail Running Shoes

Salomon Supercross

I needed new bush shoes so on the strength of recommendations above I went out and bought some.

All information on gear will date.

I went to Macpac shop who stocked several Salomon that I could check out side by side.
    Speedcross had a small number of tread lugs - apparently very fast to run in mud but I saw one set where the middle trred was worn quite a way flat.
    Super cross has widely spaced big lugs but more than the speedcross. Grip is pretty good in bush, wet rock and even to some extent on half rotten logs. I put my foot down once and it stays there, which saves energy.
    very light weight
    a wire like lace with a easy to use slider that pulls the upper up tight, very evenly around your foot.
    a long narrow shoe but surprisingly OK on my wide "NZ feet" maybe because of the even tension lacing
    The narrowness allows good use of narrow foot holds and doesn't require / force inversion / eversion of the ankle when walking on side slopes. That and the lightness made me more nimble and accurate with foot placements.
    longitudinally stiff sole so not too much stress on the foot bones and has a good "bounce" saving energy with each step.
    not at all waterproof
    "OutCross" (I think this was the name) looks like a normal street shoe with no gnarly tread lugs visible from eye level. They are supposed to have a tougher sole areas under the ball of the foot so the tread doesn't wear down walking on hard gravelled trails. The tread pattern is conventional ripples or something and obviously not so good in soft stuff.
    It's a hiking / trail shoe.

Supercross sole.
    I used light snow gaiters to protect legs and save the lace from getting snagged on branches etc.
    Name:  Supercross sole.jpeg
Views: 111
Size:  364.5 KB

The supercross lace.
    Name:  Supercross upper.jpeg
Views: 109
Size:  335.0 KB
    308 and Bush Basher like this.

Very cool Bagherra. I had a pair of Innov8 mudclaws in that lime green tred colour - the lads thought they'd be great for clubbing/disco after hunting. Had the Speedcross 5 for about two years now, and use them for everything (bush and mountain hunting). Just a tip with the Salomons, the laces do benefit from some protection as while they are strong they are thin. I use a Hunters Element neoprene gaiter that fits over the laces and protects them and also helps with the odd painful knock which you get. The other tip - buy some Tear Aid Type A from Mitre 10 ($19). Run some over the last section where the gaiter attaches, protects the laces. Just had to replace the laces, it's a bit of a job, and about $30 to buy the replacement pair.

I've run the goretex version of the Mid Pros, and the XA Pros. Waste of time. All you end up with are hot feet in summer and wet feet when you hit any water. The breatheable fabric on these shoes will eventually get holes in, and don't see the point of trying to keep the feet dry with ankle high shoes! Much prefer the non-gortex, much more breatheable, and a bit of water in summer does actually feel great.
    308, RV1 and veryfuturistic like this.
    "Death - our community's number one killer"