Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Hunting in Trail Running Shoes

+1 for Salomon Speedcross.

I've used three types of trail runners for hunting tops (Kawekas, Kaimanawas) and bush (add Kaimais etc).

Innov8 Mudclaw G260
    Developed in Manchester for trail running in muddy conditions. Super high lug, actually cut into my opposite calf on either side - way I walk. Super grippy, but lugs wore out relatively quickly, and not adequate enough cushioning, so sore feet the next day.

Salomon's have performed better.

Salomon Mid-GTX (some ankle support) with goretex. They worked well. But not as grippy or agile as the Salomon XA Pro. The only thing the ankle support provided was protection from sticks. You do take the odd knock on the ankles particuarly bush hunting, and it hurts regardless. And hot in goretex.

Salomon XA Pro are robust, and lasted a few years.

Salomon Speedcross 5
    The Speedcross are much better. Had a pair a year and a half now. Light, great support, robust and super grippy.

Ankle support - I haven't noticed a difference, other than the mid-gtx provide some protection from sticks, rocks hitting the ankles. If your ankles are prone to rolling, perhaps these aren't for you (but not sure the "additional ankle support of high cuts actually helps)
    Loads - I've carried out a couple of boned out animals no problem. A good backpack (with meat shelf), careful foot placement (not rushing) and trekking poles really help
    Goretex - I've gone away from this. Would rather get wet feet, much more pleasant than sweaty feet
    on2it, Synthetic, Ned and 1 others like this.
    "Death - our community's number one killer"

Psst, keep this just between us, use baking soda in shoes for smelly feet.
    stingray and Synthetic like this.

good in the summer mate.every kg on your feet is the same as 7kg on your back in terms of energy spent to move.
    Synthetic likes this.

I'm using La Sportiva Ultra Raptor 11 gtx. Only been on a couple of walks but I like them so far. Boot version of trail shoe. Significantly lighter than my old Lowas.
    Synthetic likes this.

Iv given up on boots. Heavy, noisy, not all that comfy. Light weight runners for me. Just put up with wet feet occassionally.
    Synthetic likes this.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y

I use five fingers a bit, pros and cons for these

negatives;
    hard to find in NZ now and you do have to get them fitted rather than guessing your size and ordering online.
    you can still stub your toe, it even seems to me like it is easier to do when wearing these for some reason.
    take longer to put on than normal footwear.

positives;
    Great for rivers as long as you don't stub your toe, and feel dry after about five paces from leaving the water.
    Probably the most grip you would ever have without wearing crampons.
    Very quiet.
    Very light, can be carried as an extra pair of footwear without weighing you down.
    Bagheera and Synthetic like this.

Crispi Attiva Mid GTX is good consideration
    Synthetic likes this.

Have taken up using my Salomon Sense ride trail shoes when hunting. Find them really hard to fault.
    BRADS and Synthetic like this.

I'm in the desert in WA for a while so won't be doing much hunting. Having hunted in boots all my life, like most, it feels a little under dressed for hunting but once getting past that they're great. Good luck with the choice.

What are the waterproof socks options?

Quote Originally Posted by ANTSMAN View Post
    What are the waterproof socks options?
    Bridgedale, sealskin are a couple of options

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
    ANTSMAN likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Bushbuck also do waterproof socks. Got a couple of pairs of each brand mentioned. They’re all much the same, not cheap. Bridge sale probably the most comfortable but not too sure about how long they’ll last, seem to be wearing out lining quicker. You still get the feeling of having damp feet even though your feet are dry, feels a bit weird at first. They are all comfortable to wear for 8-10 hours walking. Bit of a pain to wash, you wash them inside out first then turn them out to remove outer dirt. Overall I find them ok, especially when doing winter night pest control, but I don’t normally fret too much about getting wet feet most times.

I get around alright in a pair of Salomon Speedcross 3s. Pretty picky about my footwear -- comfort is king -- so I will usually run a pair of Salewa Mountain Trainer Mid GTX as my main boot for the ankle support but have no trouble bush bashing in the Salomons, they are nimble, quick drying and comfortable. Sometimes I will carry them if I'm doing a few river crossings too, and they are easy to slip on and off for around camp. Great all round shoe. You will go through them pretty quick though. I would buy another pair based on the use I've got out them, but they won't get half as many miles as a comparable pair of boots in my experience. Then again you can usually get them for half as much.
    BRADS and 308 like this.
    Behind every traverse fate lay in ambush

Salomon speedcross 5 are great trail runners or for sneaking about when armed tramping great traction. I have two pair one at home in Auckland one in the family place in Marlborough.

I day hunt with my Hokas all the time, They dont really dry out once wet, but dont get waterlogged either. And WAY quieter for bush stalking!
    On the flip side, i was 5kms into a 3 day Kaweka mission last year, when i rolled my ankle really bad with my Tatonka 90L on my back
    Thankfully i was only about 300m from a hut. I ending up staying the night there and hobbling out the next day