Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree321Likes

Thread: Illegal hunting..does it bother you?

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Yes, and can bring a whole lot of other charges under the Wildlife Act etc
    Quote Originally Posted by BSA View Post
    Does not having a DOC Permit to hunt on Public Land constitute Illegal Hunting. ?????
    Yes, and can bring a whole lot of other charges under the Wildlife Act etc

AN interesting point to note I always carry a permit on me. 99% of my hunting is DOC land. In the last 25 years im yet to meet anyone from DOC whilst out in the hills ...

There's a spot not too far from old forestry roads I used to camp near when hunting a particular area (this is all on DOC land).

Most nights I camped there I heard vehicles tearing around the place and gunshots from 1am - 3am. Almost certain to be guys hooning around spotlighting or using thermals to shoot easy pickings.

I wouldn't camp there anymore due to the risk of being accidentally shot when getting up for a piss in the middle of the night.

It would be so easy to catch these guys if there was any real appetite to do so from DOC or the police. I imagine the same thing happens basically anywhere on public land with reasonable 4x4 access.
    Micky Duck and OPO like this.

I reckon NZ needs to step up the penalties for illegal hunting, fishing, diving etc my understanding is its very hard to prosecture / police have little resources to spare for dealing with this kind of carry on.

Doesn't take many to fuck it all up for the rest of us.

There is a group of fellas night hunting TePapanui with thermals and literally filling a refrigerated van with deer carcasses. Shooting everything that moves including young stags.
    I’ve seen pictures and it’s pretty shite that future hunting is being buggered up by greedy lazy pricks.
    308 and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yesmate View Post
    yes it does,he has no obligations to the public.read my post again I said if you have to cross private land to get to a paper rd.private land and paper rd totally different.

if you have to cross private land then ofc ask for permission or advocate to the walking access commission for access to whatever paper road exists.

However all private land owners are obliged to not interfere with the public accessing the public land using a paper road that is designated as the access to said public land. You can't trespass someone for using a paper road.

Quote Originally Posted by Boner View Post
    There is a group of fellas night hunting TePapanui with thermals and literally filling a refrigerated van with deer carcasses. Shooting everything that moves including young stags.
    I’ve seen pictures and it’s pretty shite that future hunting is being buggered up by greedy lazy pricks.
    the second $$$ are involved all scruples seem to go out the window....and they are selling them somewhere too.....
    kidmac42 likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    the second $$$ are involved all scruples seem to go out the window....and they are selling them somewhere too.....
    Yup. I heard a whisper recently of similar harvesting occuring round here too.
    Ya can't park there mate.

it would be a right bastard if whisper of 1080 usage in the areas these "people of lower moral standards" have been targeting were to reach buyer just before they turned up with truck load....

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    it would be a right bastard if whisper of 1080 usage in the areas these "people of lower moral standards" have been targeting were to reach buyer just before they turned up with truck load....
    It black market, they don't care about 1080, brodificoum, pindone etc. Remember the Indians that almost died in the North Island?
    Micky Duck likes this.

Botulism apparently...
    Micky Duck likes this.

so it wasnt poison...it was poorly handled meat.....
    leviticus tells of many foods not to be eaten.....if you look at that list objectively you can see why in a time without refridgeration... pork is very prone to going off in a hurry,havent worked out what he had against the humble hare though...just as well someone dear to me later came along and said its OK to eat them.

having heard first hand accounts of how a certain retailer in Christchurch is/was handling goat carcasses it is actually a wonder there isnt more of this sort of incident/accident.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    And the Indians nearly died of what?
    Rumours and innuendo?
    Was there any actually evidence of anything?
    Animal was killed in an area where 1080 had been used and spent quite a few hours on the top of the dog box in warm weather, never went near a chiller, the Indians probably never chilled the meat either, so whatever gut ache you get from 'hot' pork is what they got.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Prefer to see the animal go to a chiller and end up for consumption than search and destroy or poison.
    Micky Duck, Allizdog and Finnwolf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Prefer to see the animal go to a chiller and end up for consumption than search and destroy or poison.
    funnily enough I made just that very same comment a few years ago about a aerial operater poaching on edge of fiordland national park....the poor bugger is probably still rubbing his eyes and undergoing councilling as I heard him coming and ran starkers out onto river flat as they flew back out...passed me at all of 100 yards,my full frontal nudity and bare white skin just couldnt be not seen....

@tetawa I agree. Such a great resource. So much good eating meat wasted.
    Last edited by Allizdog; 01-04-2023 at 09:51 PM.
    tetawa likes this.