Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Keeping warm at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    Fuck I love Rachel Riley
    Same here but waaaay to smart for me , she would leave me in no time
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.
    Bay Tyres-Driving the best deal since ages ago

Quote Originally Posted by ANOTHERHUNTER View Post
    I had a real cold trip once and tried heating up a rock o the primus and wrapping it in a teshirt , then using that to warm my feet etc. worked well.
    I buried some fire heated rocks to see me and the girl warm
    and one under where my dog was sleeping

worked a treat and easy to do on the beach (where we were)
    ANOTHERHUNTER and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsol View Post
    Check out Twin Needles offer at the moment - heres the advert: "Sleeping bag rejuvenation special!!! LAST WEEKS! Package includes - Wash, full clean, re-loft and boost of 100g of 750+ loft white goose down. Now only $129! Get ready for winter with this epic deal! Call today https://twinneedle.co.nz/pages/contact-us"
    That will give your existing bag a boost and that's pretty cheap compared to a new bag.
    I used this service a few years back to boost my Macpac Pinnacle bag. Worked well so worth considering if you have a reasonable quality down bag.
    See the unseen...

One thing to remember is no matter how good your sleeping mat/sleeping bag is , if you cannot generate the heat you're screwed. In order to generate heat you first need to be hydrated , when moving hot/cold doesn't matter . But when stationary warm/hot is best . And then comes the food as fat is the King , forget Lite throw in a knob of butter into soups/stews or fatty meat you need it .
    Husky1600 and Dublin like this.

Lots of good advice here, and sounds like a lot of guys have spent some cold nights. I've had a few cold nights, was sleeping in a wall tent in Canada at minus 15! Firstly, make sure you are insulated from the ground, take all your spare clothing etc and put in over a decent sleeping pad so that you dont creep over the edge straight in to the cold ground. Then make sure you have a spare set of thermals and sox to wear to bed. These are for sleeping and emergencies only. Do not wear your normal every day clothes to bed, likewise dont wear your sleeping thermals during the day. Make sure you have room in your sleeping bag to move around a bit, and to allow room for whatever you want to wear to bed. Dont go to bed until you are warm. Use a liner, and if its real cold use a bivvy bag over the outside. Again, make sure its not tight. I do a lot of my cooking in a big billy that I bring to the boil and then fit it in to an insulated bag to continue to cook and save gas. If you're cunning and beat your mates to it, put the hot billy in to the bottom of your sleeping bag to continue cooking. Dont wear all your clothes to bed, much better under you. But if you have a good puffer jacket, and theres room to wear it, then wear it to bed. Again, make it warm first. Wear a hat. When you leave camp each day spread your sleeping bag out to air, in the tent to the hut, let it breathe, and dry out. And lastly, eat some choc before you go to bed! Makes a big difference.
    Moa Hunter and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by madmaori View Post
    Same here but waaaay to smart for me , she would leave me in no time
    Just think how quick she could work out those drop and windage formulas if you took her hunting. Best damn ballistics calculator you ever had - and something to keep ya warm at night (right on topic).
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankd View Post
    One thing to remember is no matter how good your sleeping mat/sleeping bag is , if you cannot generate the heat you're screwed. In order to generate heat you first need to be hydrated , when moving hot/cold doesn't matter . But when stationary warm/hot is best . And then comes the food as fat is the King , forget Lite throw in a knob of butter into soups/stews or fatty meat you need it .
    I eat no sugar, avoid carbs as much as I can and ear all the fat, saturated or otherwise that I can. I have lost 30kg and my cholesterol has halved. Energy levels have never been better and I only eat one meal a day (dinner).

This actually the way everyone used to eat before agriculture (100k years ago which isn't that long) so it's the natural way to ear for humans. If you want to know more read the books by Dr Jason Fung on fasting and lot carb \ keto.
    Cordite likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by noboots View Post
    I eat no sugar, avoid carbs as much as I can and ear all the fat, saturated or otherwise that I can. I have lost 30kg and my cholesterol has halved. Energy levels have never been better and I only eat one meal a day (dinner).

This actually the way everyone used to eat before agriculture (100k years ago which isn't that long) so it's the natural way to ear for humans. If you want to know more read the books by Dr Jason Fung on fasting and lot carb \ keto.
    The problem with eating like people did 100,000 yrs ago is that we are not descendant's of those people. The last ice age killed them off, regardless of a fatty diet . The people that we descend from survived in the fertile crescent where they domesticated some of the grains we consume today - wheat, oats, barley. The ice age survivors went through a genetic bottleneck which selected those individuals that could survive and reproduce on a new diet. Read up about the diets of the worlds longest lived populations, well worth careful study

57JL
    Fuck I love Rachel Riley
    yer she puts me to sleep crack a hard and faint due to the blood rush
    Moa Hunter and imaca like this.

- have a warm hearty dinner before bed
    - hydrated
    - quality beanie
    - quality base layers
    - quality matt, Neoair or Xtherm (important)
    - quality sleeping bag.

You maybe cold a bit initially but if you let the bag do its job you should start to warm up. Ensure it stays lofted

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 57jl View Post
    yer she puts me to sleep crack a hard and faint due to the blood rush
    Rachel might be ok this winter but I dont reckon she will last. Already there are signs of the dreaded 'Nana Arm' starting to show

I couldn't care less about her nana arm. I'd crawl over half a mile of broken glass to sniff her knickers and eat up a pile of her shit just to get a look at where it came from.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Banned
    The OP can sing the chorus to this famous song while lays in his bag https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEMm7gxBYSc

I have slept many nights in Himalayas in freezing cold when I use to be a biker. I am kinda claustrophobic (Clusterf&*Ked actually) so i find it very tough to sleep in a sleeping bag and in multiple layers. Can not sleep in anything but single inner layer and shorts. Availability of crappy camping gear ensures that we use substandard China made tents which get wet like it rained in due to condensation so you can imagine the conditions. There are few things which helped me immensely in those freezing nights.

- I heat up few rocks to bury under the tent, use a thin layer of dirt. (Make sure rocks are not from a river bed otherwise you will have grenades going off. Don't ask me how i know.
    - Have my trusty Whisper-lite on a very dim burn in corner of the tent after zipping it up for some time. (with precautions off course otherwise you will be real warm for rest of your life)
    - Keep a rubber hot water bottle in the sleeping bag (I use military surplus sleeping bag with temperature ratings which god only knows) . I can't zip up fully due to my condition described above but if you can then it will really help you a lot.
    - Drink hot chocolate before sleeping
    - Wear a beanie and woolen socks

One optional step download some good artistic videos of ladies doing things or getting things done to them if you have issues of reception while you are out, if no issue like that then you are set. I have experienced that watching these kind of videos makes one forget hunger, thirst, heat cold and many other things

Hope this helps.

-Inder
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

I couldn't care less about her nana arm. I'd crawl over half a mile of broken glass to sniff her knickers and eat up a pile of her shit just to get a look at where it came from.
    Your comment made me do an incognito google search (Please excuse me for my lack of knowledge). As @Mauser308 said you are an enthusiast and I tip my turban to you sir.

-Inder