Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Keeping warm at night.

DLW

Keeping warm at night.

On my last tahr trip I found my self pretty cold at night. I would ideally get a warmer sleeping bag but funds are a bit limited at the moment so looking at cheap ways of staying warm. One thought was to buy a cheap sleeping bag and put my one inside it?
    Moa Hunter and Been Upto like this.

Probably not terribly useful but I use a hand warmer pouch and whack that in a bit before I sleep.

And then use a sleeping bag liner or sleep with Thermals or puffer jackets
    Hunteast likes this.

Merino beanie, wear a down jacket in your bag. A fleece sleeping bag liner. What sleeping pad do you use?
    Danny, Shearer, chainsaw and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Merino beanie, wear a down jacket in your bag. A fleece sleeping bag liner. What sleeping pad do you use?
    Exactly this
    tikka likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by DLW View Post
    On my last tahr trip I found my self pretty cold at night. I would ideally get a warmer sleeping bag but funds are a bit limited at the moment so looking at cheap ways of staying warm. One thought was to buy a cheap sleeping bag and put my one inside it?
    I have somethng coming soon that will warm you guys up
    Bloody awsume Thermal - with textered inner that pockets air and insulates - just magic stuff
    Tops and pants

2 weeks I hope to have up on here - so stay tuned

DLW
    Cheers I had all the above on but had 2x thermals on as well, but I didn’t have a fleece liner just a silk one, so that’s a up grade I’ll get before next weekend. I was using multimat quite big and heavy, maybe take a foam mat to go underneath it? I’m wanting to make sure this trip I’m able to be a bit warmer. I did get through the nights ok with only losing a hour or 2 because I was cold

Macpac use to make a down sleeping bag liner called a snowflake ( I think that was its name ). Was about 150g fill from memory.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Dev
    If it’s a heli trip I use a summer sleeping bag inside my winter one (and a hot water bottle...)
    A Good R rated mat makes a difference.
    Balaclava with a beanie
    Thermals and down jacket

More pills and Powder!! burtonator's Avatar
    Bivouac have these on special at the moment I just got one
    Have looked at a few reviews and meant to be pretty good.
    Meant to boost sleeping bag by “up to 14 degrees” I doubt that but even another 5-8 degrees would be mint
    400 grams but prob worth the weight
    https://www.bivouac.co.nz/sea-to-sum...QaAtkaEALw_wcB
    Life is the art of drawing without an eraser

This ^^^^ or get a cheap fleece blanket from the warehouse and get someone to sow it into a sack and put in inside your sleeping bag.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by burtonator View Post
    Bivouac have these on special at the moment I just got one
    Have looked at a few reviews and meant to be pretty good.
    Meant to boost sleeping bag by “up to 14 degrees” I doubt that but even another 5-8 degrees would be mint
    400 grams but prob worth the weight
    https://www.bivouac.co.nz/sea-to-sum...QaAtkaEALw_wcB
    You are on the mark about 5 to 7 degrees but good
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Banned
    As mentioned above Hot water bottle ! If youve had a hard tiring day it is hard to get warm if already feeling cold, down jackets, hats and all and a hotty gets you warm.
    A thermal reflective blanket is only 5 - 7 bucks for a cheap and light boost

For me, the key is getting off the ground.
    After the first trip into tahr country where I had a good down bag and a self inflating mat and froze my arse off I upgraded.
    Got a 700 loft down bag, a everwarm poly prop liner, a exped mat and prob the best item for keeping warm is my thermarest cot, aka stretcher
    Warm as ever since

I know some guys take in the inflatable lilo type matreses if they're flying in with good results.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
    KiwiinSeattle likes this.

I have found a mini hot water bottle (those small ones that are meant for babies) to work pretty well for me. They don't weigh too much in the backpack but do help to keep you warm.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

+3 to the above

Some good points already raised so far...

What style and taper is your sleeping bag? A sung fitting bag wont loft as well with a multitude of additional clothing on. Were you in a tent or under a fly? A tent and fly will add additional warmth over a fly only. A hut at this time of the year is obviously better again! Covering your bag with your rain coat (provided it isn't wet or dirty) or any items of clothing not worn or used as a pillow may help. A bivy bag will add further warmth and protection to your sleeping system as mentioned but it must be breathable. If you suffer from cold feet at night, some down booties from ZPack are worth considering.

Also consider your condition prior to bed. If already cold, it is often difficult to warm up once in your sleeping bag. I have read articles which suggest eating hot spicy type evening meals to warm up your internal system. A warm drink before bed may help, but can also be a buggar if you need that midnight dash for a leak! Really though, your best option is to invest in a warmer grade sleeping bag when funds allow.

Apologies if any of the above points are already know, but I thought some of the info may benefit less experienced hunters who are having a similar issue.
    Hunty1 and Moa Hunter like this.
    See the unseen...