Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Keeping warm at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Snowflake bag liner - they work good.

Those 'Base 4' underarmour thermals are mint as - very hard to get in NZ as noone would import them due to being too hot to get used for anything in NZ (apparently). I special imported some and used them under my drysuit for diving - mint as bruh.

That stuff @Sarvo is getting in sounds similar - that would be the bomb if so highly recommended.
    A teaser
    Will promote proper when have all sizes here
    Freight only started arriving this week - thank god !!

Name:  teaser1.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  179.5 KB

Name:  teaser 2.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  148.8 KB
    dannyb likes this.

Some good advice above.

Oftern extra clothing (rain jacket, down jacket) is better draped over your sleeping bag. If worn inside you end up compressing the the insulation and end up colder.

Also dont go to bed cold, do some star jumps or such before climbing into bed to get the blood flowing. As mentioned above hard to warm up if you go to bed cold.

Lastly what you have for dinner will make a difference to how warm you sleep. You want plenty of fats before you go to bed. Ideally something with cheese, olive oils etc. The metabolic process to digest these actually generates more heat. Avoid a dinner of simple carbs and sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunty1 View Post
    Some good advice above.

Oftern extra clothing (rain jacket, down jacket) is better draped over your sleeping bag. If worn inside you end up compressing the the insulation and end up colder.

Also dont go to bed cold, do some star jumps or such before climbing into bed to get the blood flowing. As mentioned above hard to warm up if you go to bed cold.

Lastly what you have for dinner will make a difference to how warm you sleep. You want plenty of fats before you go to bed. Ideally something with cheese, olive oils etc. The metabolic process to digest these actually generates more heat. Avoid a dinner of simple carbs and sugar.
    Why not Bivvy Bag over sleeping bag
    What quality is the bag - not too good obviously

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Macpac use to make a down sleeping bag liner called a snowflake ( I think that was its name ). Was about 150g fill from memory.
    I’ve got one, it’s brilliant. They don’t seem to make the one I have, but here’s the latest version. These make a lighter sleeping bag much more versatile. I’ve actually only ever used mine Tahr hunting. :-)

https://www.macpac.co.nz/equipment/s...rd/113701.html
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I had a real cold trip once and tried heating up a rock o the primus and wrapping it in a teshirt , then using that to warm my feet etc. worked well.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Reading the title I thought this was going to be a broke back mountain type of story.....
    Moa Hunter and Sideshow like this.
    Bay Tyres-Driving the best deal since ages ago

Check out Twin Needles offer at the moment - heres the advert: "Sleeping bag rejuvenation special!!! LAST WEEKS! Package includes - Wash, full clean, re-loft and boost of 100g of 750+ loft white goose down. Now only $129! Get ready for winter with this epic deal! Call today https://twinneedle.co.nz/pages/contact-us"
    That will give your existing bag a boost and that's pretty cheap compared to a new bag. Then its insulating yourself from the ground (super important), I like to use a fully enclosed bivy bag, beanie and sometimes wearing less actually helps your bag work better.
    Moa Hunter and dannyb like this.

As others have said - layers. Either a second sleeping bag, a mat with a better R value or clothes you can wear in your bag. I take two puffs on cold trips (uberlight down vest and hoodded jacket) and they are sized so that I can wear the vest inside the jacket.

You also need a way of adding heat when you are cold so you don't just lie there shivering all night - hot water bottle, hand warmer, hot drinks and food. Hot food warms you in three ways (it's hot, heat is created when you digest it and then you have fuel to burn for heat). I know this as I have done a lot of fasting and it's cold and miserable in winter.

I have a lightweight synthetic bag suitable for a short bloke. Will PM.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I close my eyes and think of Rachel Riley.

Dont over do it. When youre in a down bag and you have a layer of clothes on and a down jacket etc I have found you will often times be colder than just wearing a good base layer as youre "filling the bag right up" and pushing against the outsides of it compresing the down and not allowing it to work properly, you can also end up sweating but never actually getting warm because your body is constantly trying to warm up in a damp atmosphere. I slept up in the snow the other night just my thermarest neoair venture mat (non insulated, I believe insulated mats are a have...) and macpac lattitude xp bag and wearing a base layer only and I was toasty as, bit colder when you first get into bed without wearing a down jacket but warmer and dry once you warm up the bag. I was actually using the base layer top from @Sarvo which I managed to get my greasy mitts on before the rest come into the country and it performs very well, comfy, warm, lightweight, and doesnt get smelly.
    Name:  20200607_171230.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  998.2 KB
    Moa Hunter, Sarvo and dannyb like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

My 2c

Agree with Ryan above, don't overdo what you're wearing.

My tips
    Don't go to bed cold! Even the worlds warmest sleeping bag will take an age to warm up if you're cold when you hop in it.
    Wear a merino beanie until you're warm enough.
    Half fill a water bladder or plastic drink bottle with hot water (hot water bottle if fly in trip) wrap it in spare hat or sock and put in your bag 5 minutes before retiring for the evening.
    Keep pee bottle handy for when nature calls. Don't confuse the 2 during the night!
    Moa Hunter likes this.

those cots look cool but the price is eyewatering i always get a sore hip on a pad I see there are cheap knock offs for about a hundy on ebay anyone tried one?

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    also put mattress inside a bivvy bag under sleeping bag and if you think that still wont be enough get a cheap foam mat from warehouse to go under bivvy bag. i got the extra wide foam mat from warehouse.with that setup i am too hot in my old army synthetic sleeping bag even when it is around 0 degrees.
    Ah the old synthetic Army bags. Have fond memories of sweating in it in the snow in Waiberia @ -10c.

Still have one actually. Not using it much anymore as they are f@cken heavy and bulky even in a compression bag.

Domex if memory serves me correctly.
    Cliff and Shadowsol like this.

Fuck I love Rachel Riley
    nzfubz, Marty Henry, 57jl and 2 others like this.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    Fuck I love Rachel Riley
    What is her R rating ?
    dannyb likes this.