Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: "NZ Guns and Hunting" magazine

"NZ Guns and Hunting" magazine

Anyone know if this magazine is still in existence? My emails are being spat back.

No. It went digital format only with a forum that seems to have died unfortunately

It died a horrible unnecessary death just after the Christchurch Mosque shootings. Believing that print media was now obsolete (their last issue had been pulled from the supermarkets by reactionary shop owners because it had an AK47 on the cover) they thought they could make it as on online digital subscription. But their business plan ignored the fact it wasn't 2002 anymore and all the rest of the content on the internet was excellent and also free. The owners never seemed to understand that the internet (and forums like this) was a direct competitor to magazines.

This is called being so progressive you force yourself evolve, but dont have the imagination to come up with something new, so you die. All the other magazines, who just let evolution do its own thing, have survived and seem to be thriving.
    Last edited by JohnDuxbury; 21-12-2022 at 09:37 AM.
    MB likes this.

I was a long time contributor to that publication, run by a great guy with some talented writers.

Unfortunately the publishers G&G decided guns were bad for business like everyone else post Mar 19 and it went under after going digital.

A sad and unnecessary loss to our community and sport.

F
    Warm Barrels!

I wrote a bit for them too and thought the digital change a bit risky. Peter never would have but Nick took the chance.

As much as I spend far too much time on the internet looking at firearms, car and other sundry subjects, I did prefer the magazine as a classic paper type.
    I had a subscription for it when I was in Aussie and bought it very regularly here. There is a tiny part of me that likes to keep it handy for future info even if I never used it
    Never bought another one once they went digital

Nik took a risk n didnt work out. I certainly preferred the paper format.

Sent from my SM-A135F using Tapatalk
    Ranger 888 likes this.

I wrote firearms reviews for them too - sorry to hear its gone..

We should have a reunion...

I have few issues in the cupboard. Will post later which ones. All up for sale

Thanks for the info guys...yeah, I liked the paper version too. I have boxes of them from the first issue...., I might sell them. Any interest?

We wrote them.

Was always my go to at the book store.

I wrote a couple of articles for Nick, and had a few talks with him.I seem to remember that NZG&H was at more risk than the purely hunting magazines. His distributor indicated that if the magazine contained material the distributor deemed inappropriate, then the distributor would refuse to distribute. From memory it was over to the distributor to decide what was inappropriate and that left NZ Guns at some risk, as they were first and foremost a gun magazine and they felt it may limit them to guns legal in NZ...or the distributors whims. He couldn't afford to have 35,000 copies printed and not sent out. I must reiterate, this is from memory and may not be exactly accurate, but its how I remember the conversations.
    I think at the time I felt id do exactly the same and supported his attempt to be independent of the woke brigade who may well attempt to stifle free and wide ranging content.
    on a side note, I had some kind of dealings with most of the magazines at some point or another, and found Nick to be the most up front , honest and earnest of them all. For what ever thats worth.
    tetawa, 308, erniec and 3 others like this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    There a few of us wrote for Peter, I never wrote for Nik
    Pretty sure I've every issue from No 1, won't be selling or getting rid. Great to look back on.
    Micky Duck and whanahuia like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?