Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: "NZ Guns and Hunting" magazine

Most of my time was with Peter going back fifteen years. I never contributed when it went digital, I knew what it meant.

It was a labour of love for many, and some people worked for free. I met one of the proof readers at the range once. Never got paid a cent over the years. Neither did the guy who contributed articles on old pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    There a few of us wrote for Peter, I never wrote for Nik
    Pretty sure I've every issue from No 1, won't be selling or getting rid. Great to look back on.
    Look back at 2 articles written by Geoff Roache. Superb writing. The one on the 270 was a classic.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Nik did his best.
    Theirs wasn't the only magazine to go under many others did and not only in hunting at the time.
    I like many enjoyed the magazine and read many a well written article.

Nik did his best.
    Theirs wasn't the only magazine to go under many others did and not only in hunting at the time.
    How is he getting on I hope things have worked out for him and his family.
    Sorry about the duplicate post, atmospheric conditions sky loosing signal etc.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by erniec View Post
    Nik did his best.
    How is he getting on I hope things have worked out for him and his family.
    Sorry about the duplicate post, atmospheric conditions sky loosing signal etc.
    The atmospheric conditions you are referring to ....the yellow orb..called a sun i believe...??

Sent from my SM-A135F using Tapatalk
    erniec likes this.

I have every issue, and would've happily kept buying them, but lost interest when they went digital.

Had a couple of my articles published.

Still enjoy re-reading the magazines on a rainy day.
    Ranger 888 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by whanahuia View Post
    I wrote a couple of articles for Nick, and had a few talks with him.I seem to remember that NZG&H was at more risk than the purely hunting magazines. His distributor indicated that if the magazine contained material the distributor deemed inappropriate, then the distributor would refuse to distribute. From memory it was over to the distributor to decide what was inappropriate and that left NZ Guns at some risk, as they were first and foremost a gun magazine and they felt it may limit them to guns legal in NZ...or the distributors whims. He couldn't afford to have 35,000 copies printed and not sent out. I must reiterate, this is from memory and may not be exactly accurate, but its how I remember the conversations.
    I think at the time I felt id do exactly the same and supported his attempt to be independent of the woke brigade who may well attempt to stifle free and wide ranging content.
    on a side note, I had some kind of dealings with most of the magazines at some point or another, and found Nick to be the most up front , honest and earnest of them all. For what ever thats worth.
    Yep, very sad!

By far the best magazine ever produced in NZ. Victims of shit circumstances. Been through same shit with them. Would be awesome to see the same editorial staff and same writers re-invent somehow. Maybe a format similar to hunters journal but a bit more intellectual.
    Sh00ter likes this.

James Mylam did a very good article on reduced loads for 222/223 using Trailboss. Quality writing.
    Micky Duck likes this.

so..MAYBE??? if someone has Nicks contact details...see if its alright with him if we,as a forum... crate a thread or better still a section with old articles reposted.... even I can take a photo of page and stick it up if try hard enough.
    shikes some of the older rod n rifle and NZ Hunter articles are well worth saving too.
    Graham Henry why not the .308 etc were pure gold and still as relevant today...there is a whole generation of hunters and shooting folk who missed out on those guys.
    ANTSMAN, Ranger 888 and Sh00ter like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

You guys talk in the abstract as if this is a different internet world and like the Maxwells’ don’t exist, so there is no need for sensitivity and that speculation or plain gossip is ok. Well, you can bet that they are reading this and are feeling like on a continuum of maligned public property through to appreciated and revered. I for one dip my lid to both of their contributions to hunting journalism and to hunting in general. It was sad when it ended but it was their choice so I honour that.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

I attribute this publication to really sparking my interest in hunting, shooting and firearm collecting. In 2001, long before I had a firearms license, I bought the issue that had a Remington Model 7 on the front, and a multi page write up on the MG42 in the middle. I got pretty much everyone since, until I got online. It's really sad that it ended, but I understand how untenable the situation must of got post Chch.
    erniec and 55six like this.

I bought every issue since number 5. I still remember buying it, on holiday in Hamner springs with my parents. I had an overseas subscription for close to 20 years, had an article published and looked forward to each and every issue.

Shame they pulled the plug.
    paremata likes this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    You guys talk in the abstract as if this is a different internet world and like the Maxwells’ don’t exist, so there is no need for sensitivity and that speculation or plain gossip is ok. Well, you can bet that they are reading this and are feeling like on a continuum of maligned public property through to appreciated and revered. I for one dip my lid to both of their contributions to hunting journalism and to hunting in general. It was sad when it ended but it was their choice so I honour that.
    Must be nice to have no opinion. Are you happier if I vouch that anything I say here I have already told them on the phone, or is that too confrontational for you. It's even less of your business actually. I bet you went "huh" and just bought a different magazine when they folded. And wandered off tapping your umbrella, with your hat dipped, as you read something by Duley, honouring their choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Must be nice to have no opinion. Are you happier if I vouch that anything I say here I have already told them on the phone, or is that too confrontational for you. It's even less of your business actually. I bet you went "huh" and just bought a different magazine when they folded. And wandered off tapping your umbrella, with your hat dipped, as you read some technical lasagna by Duley, honouring their choice.*

*Don't tell me Greg Duley exists in the real world too. I wont believe that.